What to Do During Summer for FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kameha01

Reaction score
I know that for people who are trying to go for a specific specialty, doing research in that field over the summer is common. However, for someone interested in family medicine, what should we be doing during the summer to maximize our odds?

Members don't see this ad.

Mainly… stay alive. Maintain homeostasis of some sorts and you will be good.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that for people who are trying to go for a specific specialty, doing research in that field over the summer is common. However, for someone interested in family medicine, what should we be doing during the summer to maximize our odds?

Travel or just do nothing and recharge your batteries. Once first year ends that's all you will want to do, believe me

Members don't see this ad :)
Any local activities with your state AAFP group you could get involved in?

No one has to do anything during the M1-M2 summer, especially for FM

Either chill, and if you're going to do research make sure it's paid and only do it if you're actually interested in doing it. If you want to do something, volunteering sometime with a free clinic or something may interest you

If you feel like it, get involved with AAFP or your state level AFP. See if either has conferences geared towards med students (I believe AAFP just had theirs for this year). Is your FMIG offering any procedure workshops or panel talks where you can network with residents and attendings? Any opportunities for free clinic volunteering or community outreach projects? One of the most important things on the PD survey for FM is perceived interest in the specialty, so make sure your ECs show it. Research is not needed at all but can be a nice feather in your cap if that's something you like.

If you don't feel like it....rest and recharge!

You don't have to do anything, but if you do I would consider doing a structured summer program. It can be in FM or it could be in anything else you find interesting.

I did one in a topic I really enjoyed (psychiatry/public health), but way outside the field I am going to apply for, and it was really fun! Feels like it really broadened my horizons. I got to go to interesting didactics by really cool/important people, shadow in some cool things (also helped me confirm what I wanted/didn't want to do), got paid a few thousand bucks, and got a shiny little abstract to my name. Didn't even take up my whole summer.

You only get one shot at doing so much weird stuff in your life. Take advantage.

Stay out of trouble and do not get a DUI or arrested doing something like going 90 mph with a 65 mph speed limit or reckless driving.

Reactions: 3 users