What to do during Winter Break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iololiol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Winter break has arrived and I have not taken MCATs yet so obviously will be studying for those. On the side I would like to do something useful with my time off. What are some ideas for some things I could do that would look good on my resume?

Thanks for the help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Winter break has arrived and I have not taken MCATs yet so obviously will be studying for those. On the side I would like to do something useful with my time off. What are some ideas for some things I could do that would look good on my resume?

Thanks for the help guys!

Hospital volunteering, shadowing, community service... take your pick. If you haven't shadowed, winter break is usually a great time to do it so you can get your letter without it interfering with your school.

How long is your break? If it was like mine (two weeks), I'd just relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long is your break? If it was like mine (two weeks), I'd just relax.
I have 4 weeks in my break, but I can completely relate to you guys because I had the 2 week thing during my undergrad years.

Uncharted 3

I also second the rap CD idea...

Our winter break is about three weeks and we have a winter session so I'm taking a class . . . I'm just too tempted at the idea of checking off a whole class in 13 weekdays of effort that I can't resist being a glutton for punishment.

But I would also agree with the other comments about taking a break. . . for me the periods of rest and recovery are almost as important as all the studying efforts during the semesters.

Hospital volunteering would be great, but if you haven't made the arrangements already you might not get anything done other than getting signed up. This is a good season to work at the food pantries, serve meals at the shelters, etc as it seems easier to walk in and get to work this time of the year. In my community, Habitat for Humanity is still finishing up a 'winterization' effort for the community, helping people prepare their homes to be as energy efficient as possible. That would be rewarding I think.

Regardless, have a great holiday season!

Random

Unless you're seriously behind on ECs, kick back, relax, and enjoy it!

Come home, get sick, and do nothing! AKA what happened to me... yay post finals immune system crash.

Some suggestions:
Get a seasonal job and make a bit of cash
Do a bit of shadowing
Try and find volunteering
Rest and relaxation! We totally all deserve it
Watch Dexter:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Meet up with friends you haven't seen in a while

Yayy winter break!

Sky to the rim. Skyrim. Rim Sky. Skryim

Skyrim.

not. a. damn. thing. chill and study

Hang out with your family, and meet up some of your friends that you haven't seen in a while. I suggest fitting in 4-5 hours a day for MCAT review on subjects you've already taken. Volunteering around this time of the year is also a nice thing to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha, if you choose this activity make sure you don't put it on the internet because that probably wouldn't go very well when it comes time to apply.

Unless he raps about his application and why he would be a great physician, and then sends his demo CD to all the ADCOMs. :thumbup:

I volunteered yesterday and today. It's a big deal for some families, as this tends to be a really emotionally charged season for a lot of people. Very rewarding.

Now, let the games commence.

Unless he raps about his application and why he would be a great physician, and then sends his demo CD to all the ADCOMs. :thumbup:

I smell a challenge. :laugh:
I'm thinking special "gangsta" badge to whomever writes and posts the best song.

I volunteered yesterday and today. It's a big deal for some families, as this tends to be a really emotionally charged season for a lot of people. Very rewarding.

Now, let the games commence.

Good man. I love people who volunteer during the holidays. I don't really celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas... I just enjoy the holiday season as a whole. For many years I've volunteered around these holidays, especially Thanksgiving/Christmas Day, and will continue to do so in the future! Very rewarding and FUNNNN!

Tomorrow will be a good day! Can't wait. :)

I call Coolio's song so I can do my own version - "ADCOM's Paradise".

Start studying for M1 and USMLE/COMPLEX.

Come home, get sick, and do nothing! AKA what happened to me... yay post finals immune system crash.

Some suggestions:
Get a seasonal job and make a bit of cash
Do a bit of shadowing
Try and find volunteering
Rest and relaxation! We totally all deserve it
Watch Dexter:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Meet up with friends you haven't seen in a while

Yayy winter break!
haha, same here, after every semester, this time pneumonia... However, during break does anyone else feel that their brain just turns into "mush?" I just picked up my trig book to try to simply keep my mind working otherwise I do nothing and it takes a little while to get back into gear the following semester.

I'll be shadowing two doctors and continuing my volunteering. I'll also be doing a great bit of nothing.