what to do for one year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

messenger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys. i was wondering what everyones plans are for the upcmong year until next fall?
i have graduated college last winter and have nothing to do now, except for shadow some more with my dentist, work a little, and thats it i guess?
i dont know if i should take some classes on the side to stay in the game, i guess. :)

Members don't see this ad.

messenger said:
hi guys. i was wondering what everyones plans are for the upcmong year until next fall?
i have graduated college last winter and have nothing to do now, except for shadow some more with my dentist, work a little, and thats it i guess?
i dont know if i should take some classes on the side to stay in the game, i guess. :)

If you live near a university you should try to get a job working in a lab or doing something which will strengthen your skills for dental school. You could also try to get a job as an assistant in a private practice if you have the ability to. I'm taking a year off as well, working part time in a science lab, part time as a bakery chef and taking one class. It is the best of both worlds for me! The other option is just to shadow/volunteer a couple hours a week and work in a fun job, or take the whole year to travel- when will you have this chance again once you get into dental school. Good Luck!

messenger said:

I worked full time for a pharmaceutical company and I didn't even tell them about my plans until the end.
I say.. just get a job and make some $$ while you can...

Members don't see this ad :)
messenger said:

classes to stay in the game?
bad idea. just enjoy your time off. dental school will have plenty of studying in store for ya. i too took a year off and just worked as an assistant. just relax and enjoy it while it lasts.

ENJOY YOUR TIME OFF!!!

i took one year off after doing undergrad with no breaks (school every summer)....i am going to dschool in a few weeks and i am so refreshed and ready to get back into it. I truly think the time off will help me stay motivated in school because i am so refreshed!!! HAVE FUN!!

i guess it depends on the individuals...

if u're not a strong applicant, you may want to take some post-bac class to show that you can earn a decent grade (i guess to compensate on the low gpa during the undergrad)....i think it helps...

& then u can work to earn $$ at the same time...=]

ok. thank you for the replies.

If you're guaranteed a spot, I say do what you've always wanted to do, whatever that may be. For me it would be sailing around the world (or at least around the mediterranean

If you're not a sure thing, take classes wheeeeee!!!

Make as much money as you can so that you don't have to borrow as much in dental school.

Take anatomy and physiology if you haven't already. It's not like it would be a full load and it will really make your first year easier if the anatomy is mainly a review.

im working at a molecular oncology lab, making money, enjoying my time off, living it up till next fall cus i know the grind will be tough after then. LIVE IT UP KIDS. oh and i havent told my employer about my dental school plans. wont tell em till fall 07. CHYEAH.

Join some good cooking classes and learn how to eat wholesome, healthy food. It will only be good for the rest of your life. :thumbup:

messenger said:

take a gross anatomy course and biochemistry and get a job.

Thats the best advice I could give.

Whatever you decide to do, you can bet the adcoms will ask you about it - why you chose to do what you did, what did you get out of it, how is it going to help you in dental school, etc.

aurora507 said:
Whatever you decide to do, you can bet the adcoms will ask you about it - why you chose to do what you did, what did you get out of it, how is it going to help you in dental school, etc.

oh crap I was assuming this poster got in.

If you havent got in you better take a years worth of classes or you wont get in next year!

why do i need to take a full years worth of classes?
and yes, i am applying this cycle, so will have a year off. but why wouldnt i be able to get in. :confused:

aurora507 said:

and i guess its not a big deal if adcoms ask me what i did.
who cares...ill tell them. work for money. maybe a class or two to help grades.

messenger said:
and i guess its not a big deal if adcoms ask me what i did.
who cares...ill tell them. work for money. maybe a class or two to help grades.

I really don't care what the hell you do. You asked and I told you my opinion.

Adcoms don't like to accept people into their program who are sitting on their asses doing nothing and thats just how it is.

You had better have good grades and a good DAT score if you plan to do this.

the first question they will ask is WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW, the second will be WHY DIDNT YOU APPLY LAST YEAR???????

Which is what I am wondering as well.

if you feel confident, go to the beach. if not, go back to school.