What to do for summer rearch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

windcolour

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a nontraditional med student with a PhD and a dozen of publications (two of them on very top journals on cancer biology, first author). I am wondering what to do for this summer. I have three choices:

1. clinic research on radiation oncology with a young faculty. Publication not sure.
2. clinic research on oncology with the oncology chair at a famous hospital. He is very productive in this field. Strong confidence to get a publication.
3. Finish up the writing of one of my previous project. One first author paper 100% sure, no top journal though.

If I choose 1 or 2, I think I still could get 3 done.

I am just at a state school and really want to maximize my chance for a residency of radiation oncology.

Because I already got lots of basic science research, should I choose No. 1? No. 1 is directly the field I want to go into. Will it be more helpful for my future application?

Any suggestions are very welcome. Many thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Since you already have a great number of publications, I would urge you to take option #1 (particularly since it doesn't preclude option #3). You pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why #1 is better. (a) You already have a lot of basic research and (b) now is a good time to buff up you CV with Rad Onc specific publications.

Good luck!

Since you already have a great number of publications, I would urge you to take option #1 (particularly since it doesn't preclude option #3). You pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why #1 is better. (a) You already have a lot of basic research and (b) now is a good time to buff up you CV with Rad Onc specific publications.

Good luck!

Many thanks for your quick response. It is very helpful.