What to do for the next four months?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peony

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Long story, but I'm unexpectedly without a job or classes this semester, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the next four months. I volunteer at a hospital a few hours a week (and love it!), but I really need something additional that's interesting and fullfilling to do as well. I've contacted a bunch of professors to see if I can work in their labs, but none of them seem to have space (I guess it's too late in the year). I've already done a substantial amount of shadowing (although it was all in pediatrics, which is the field I want to go into--not sure if that matters).

Anyway, if you have any suggestions for something else to do, that would be wonderful! I'm not taking the MCAT for about a year, although I am studying a bit for that too. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. Long story, but I'm unexpectedly without a job or classes this semester, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the next four months. I volunteer at a hospital a few hours a week (and love it!), but I really need something additional that's interesting and fullfilling to do as well. I've contacted a bunch of professors to see if I can work in their labs, but none of them seem to have space (I guess it's too late in the year). I've already done a substantial amount of shadowing (although it was all in pediatrics, which is the field I want to go into--not sure if that matters).

Anyway, if you have any suggestions for something else to do, that would be wonderful! I'm not taking the MCAT for about a year, although I am studying a bit for that too. Thanks!

Working for a prof without a guarantee of a REALLY STRONG letter or a publication (ideally 1st or 2nd authored) is probably not worth it. 4 months is enough time to get EMT training, or (best case scenario) some true clinical experience (volunteer in a emergency room and-in time-do more than empty bedpans). Heavy duty clinical is best for pre-meds, IMHO

Good Luck!!

I don't think it's a big loss if you find nothing to do. I think the EMT course would be nice but only if you think you are going use it by vounteering later on and not take it for the sake of doing something. You could also take up a phlebotomy course which is something I wish I did since it would have come in handy for my research job.

Another thing to think about is doing something you've wanted to do for a while. Adcoms want to see you're a well rounded human being and that does mean not doing something medically related once in a while. Why not take up a new hobbie or spend some time learning something you've wanted to? Maybe make some extra money on the side - I was a nanny for an entire summer and did some light volunteering on the side to maintain consistency and keep my foot in the medical world. No one ever held it against me and it was a nice way to make some good money and get a break from everything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
IF you have some money, and IF you can afford to not work this summer, and IF you don't have children (lots of ifs, I know), then I suggest that you travel! There are lots of amazing opportunites for cultural exchanges, language learning, "voluntourism", or plain old backpacking through a part of the world that has always intrigued you. Some of these opportunities are relatively inexpensive.

Why not write some medical related articles and publish them on Associated Content. You can make around 4 dollars an article. If you write 20 articles a day, that can give you close to 80 dollars a day. If you do that 5 days a week for a month, you can earn around $1,600. If you double the amount of articles you write in a day, you can earn around $3,200 in a single month. This would bring you in more money then a job or working in some lab.

The articles only need to be around 500 words. So get writing and just enjoy your free time.