What to do if i have to take a year off to reapply???

• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

kateycat

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
trying to have a backup plan in case i don't get in this year...

get a job? maybe medically related?

more school? perhaps the special masters programs at cincinnati, georgetown, boston etc?

anyone who had to take a year off, what did you do? what did interviewers ask you about your in between year? is going to school looked upon more highly by admissions committees? or would they rather you get real world experience? grades are NOT the problem for me... but in anyone's opinion would doing well in a master's program in physiology or biomedical sciences help me out at all?

Darksmurf

I'm the boy smurf
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
anyone who had to take a year off, what did you do? what did interviewers ask you about your in between year? is going to school looked upon more highly by admissions committees? or would they rather you get real world experience? grades are NOT the problem for me... but in anyone's opinion would doing well in a master's program in physiology or biomedical sciences help me out at all?

I didn't take a whole year off (I applied for the next application cycle), but in the interim I got a job working as an editor on a science journal. Fun stuff (I like words) and it opened my whole world to publishing from the publisher/reviewer/editor side.

I would suggest doing something medically related that will show your commitment to medicine and give you some good experience.

Stolenspatulas

10+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

more school? perhaps the special masters programs at cincinnati, georgetown, boston etc?

I kind of wish I had the chance to do Teach for America.

I do clinical research during my year-off in anesthesiology.

About the Ads
E

Eric Lindros

get a job. don't gotta be medical related, just gotta be decent paying

C

cowme

I would recommend doing research for a year. If you enjoy it, and have the patience, it can be an incredibly rewarding job. Also, research is one of the primary ways that medical schools enhance their funding and reputation, so success in research can really help you out in the following cycle. Good luck!

premeddick

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
I would recommend doing research for a year. If you enjoy it, and have the patience, it can be an incredibly rewarding job. Also, research is one of the primary ways that medical schools enhance their funding and reputation, so success in research can really help you out in the following cycle. Good luck!

What do you think success in research means?

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]

I would talk to adcom directors of schools of interest and ask them specifically what was weak with your application and work on improving those parts of your application.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
What do you think success in research means?

Playing a major role in a project and getting it published or at least getting to present it at major conferences but more so getting it published. And even at the published level, prestige of the publication is dependent on where it is published and what number author you are. If you are 4th author out of 4 people on there you probably weren't listed as being a major role in the project whereas a 1st or 2nd authorship would get a lot of prestige and carry a lot of weight as far as research goes. Also being published in a more known journal is better too. But the AMCAS has ways for which you could talk about research even if it was just as working as a lab tech.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.