what to do if not accepted the first time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtobin

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am taking the MCAT in April. My science GPA is 3.3, and overall is 3.6. I am a double major in psychology and physiology. I have tons of applicable volunteer experience and i work at a nursing home. Also great recs. I have two C's in my science GPA in Cell bio and Microbiology. Also I had to take Organic 1 over again (D to a B+) and Physics 2 (to bring it from a C to a B), so I have persistance. I am wondering if I don't do so hot on the MCAT if I should try PA schools, instead of getting a useless master's degree. I would not reapply if I got into PA school, I want to serve better and better society, I do not need the income and prestige of a doctor, however it is still my first choice of careers. Also nowadays PA's seem to spend more time with the patients then the doctor's due. Has anyone gone the PA route instead of reapplying, got into to PA school instead of med school?? Any advice, I know that I have to be very careful about applying to both schools, I know that PA schools don't like that, so I wouldn't even mention the MD thing. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought about this a lot this spring as I received waitlist after waitlist to the MD programs where I applied. My plans were to do a grad program in physiology or public health. The public health degree I think would be both useful and impressive to adcoms. I also thought I might enjoy public health as a career if I didn't get in the 2nd time around. However, many of the physio programs were designed especially for students who wanted to better their chances of med school admission. Some of the physio master's programs were only a year long, you took MS-I classes with the med students, and many program mentioned specifically in their literature what % of their students get interviews/acceptances to med schools.

If you think you would be happy as a PA, why not do that instead of MD? Despite what you may hear, it is not harder to get into than med school (some programs are harder, sure.) It is not more difficult than med school. You get to start earning money a lot earlier and have accrued fewer years of debt. In general, the hours are better as well. I seriously considered this route but for me personally it was not the right choice. Think about why you want MD over PA and you'll know what's right for you.

I get the impression that PA is not the best avenue to take to gain med school admission if you chose that route. There seems to be some preference to leave those applicants in the med field for which they have already trained. I have no data to support this, it's just an impression.

If you have a state med school, you may not have trouble gaining admission w/ your stats. I see where you are concerned and I think it is wise for you to prepare. I know that some of this is slightly off the topic but I hope you find it helpful.

Good Luck!!

Why wouldn't you try DO school instead of PA or all three? If you really wanted to be a "doctor" then DO school will do it just as well.

------------------
Rob
http://views.vcu.edu/medimf/rob/greatpumpkin.shtml

Your best bet is to talk to a dean of admissions at your local medical school. I'm sure people have gone to PA school, been PAs, but then decided that they wanted more and went to med school, but I don't know of anyone who has gone to PA school FOR THE SPECIFIC REASON of boosting their chances at medical school. I think the med schools would want you to be a PA for a few years before you made your decision to pursue medicine.

Whatever you do, just make sure that you have considered every possible road and spoken to as many relevant people about this subject. Once you make your decision, go with it and don't let anyone discourage you from pursuing it.

In my opinion, however, I don't think you stats are all that horrible, and if you supplement your grades with a solid (30+) MCAT score, you greatly improve your chances.