What to do if you have to take a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hestabbedbasil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at this weird phase right now. I took my MCAT about 2 and a half weeks ago and just walking out, I knew that I bombed the thing. I'm in something of a weird position, though. I'm leaving in late may for an internship abroad at WHO and not getting back until late August, making a retake something that'll have to wait until next year. With that possibility of having to wait a year before applying staring me in the face, I'm wondering what I do now. Do I stay at my lab at the University and work for another year, retake the test, and reapply? Do I cross my fingers and apply for a fulbright, then see if it'll carry me through? Are there any other options at all? I figured that this was the best place to look for advice on this sort of thing, although it seems like most people are really off to a successful start in terms of nailing the test and going to med school. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

for your year off, just make sure you're doing stuff to make your application stronger

continue doing research and try to get published
volunteer/get more clinical experience
keep studying for the MCAT
def. apply for the fulbright. that'll be an awesome thing to put on your resume if you get it.

I thought I did REALLY bad on my MCAT, but my scores came out ok. I'm not kidding, for my Physics section, I ran out of time so I had to bubbled in two passages. when you take your mcat again, DO NOT walk out if you're already there! you might've been just nervous!