What to do if you're waitlisted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpsuedonym

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have two schools that are my top choice. I was accepted to one and waitlisted at the other, but I'm sort of more interested in the one that I was waitlisted at. It's an unranked waiting list and I was told by the director of admissions over the phone that the best thing I could do was to keep in contact. How do I do that? I've been trying to decide what the best way to do this is. I sent him an email saying telling him about the activities that I'm continuing with and asking if there were any specific weaknesses in my application that I should address. He sent me a one line email back saying that I was on his radar. So, now what do I do? Do I send him periodic emails, do I call his office? What do I talk about? How often is too often? I want to come across as genuinely interested and making an effort, but want to stay clear of looking like a stalker. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you can just send him an email from time to time and throw in the occasional phone call. Remember though that he has to be a busy man. If it were me I wouldn't contact him more than once every one or two weeks.

I would call him about once a month, you know, asking if they need any more information from you. Keep him updated about your activites. I would start off the conversation with "I was calling to check on the status of my application." and then let him know what you are up to and ask if there are any other materials that they need. And, don't be hesitant to express interest. You can tell him that they are your top choice, and you would really like to be considered for a spot in their incoming class.

Members don't see this ad :)
are u on the waitlist of columbia??? I am placed on the waitlist >< waiting sucks!