1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

What to do in 5th year?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mac_kin, Feb 25, 2007.

1. mac_kin

mac_kin Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I'm from Canada and applied to schools in Canada this year but my hopes of getting in are fading each day. So I'm applying to US schools this summer hoping to get in for Sept 2008.

My question is about suggestions for what to do next year, since I will have already graduated. I'm thinking of travel or work or returning to school and taking some extra courses.

If I do decide to just take some extra courses, should I take a full course load? Will not taking a full course load impact me in any negative way?

I was thinking of taking 2 or 3 courses in the fall + working a lot, then travelling in the spring.

For those who took time off before applying or didn't get in the first time around, what did you do with your year off???

Thanks!

2. Chuckwalla

Chuckwalla Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Do whatever you have dreamed of doing. You probably won't get another chance.

3. eikenhein

eikenhein Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Do whatever. We are not here to tell you what to do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MadHopsMD

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey I was pretty much your situation two years ago (canadian too). I decided to NOT do a masters, and ended up doing nothing significant: volunteered in the community, worked at Kaplan and other places (non medical related), travelled. They always asked me what I did the past 2 years, and I always told them that I keep myself buzy :).

So dont fret, take couple classes and volunteer...that should be fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...