What to do in extra gap year? Thoughts on consulting...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qwerty2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically, I wasn't ready for the MCAT this and I had to deal with a health issue so I put off apps until next year. All other parts of my application are good (clinical exp, grades, research etc). But now, as I am looking at another two years before matriculation, I am not sure what I should do.
I am currently working in a top research lab and have been here for the past 3 years (I love the work being done there). I could stay for another couple of years but I cant help feeling like I want a change of pace/environment. I do want to keep doing research as an MD but I dont want to burn myself out. I dont have any doubt about pursuing medicine but I think until I start med school it would be interesting to try consulting related to biotech/healthcare for a year or two (to network, save some $$$, and have a life outside of cells/lab haha)

If I were to work at a consulting firm for example, would that be frowned upon by med school (if I were to continue to do clinical volunteering during that time..) Would they question my motivation for being a doctor?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see how consulting related to biotech/healthcare would be a problem. But is that even a viable option without a masters or MD?

I don't see how consulting related to biotech/healthcare would be a problem. But is that even a viable option without a masters or MD?

Sort of. There are consulting jobs out there that are open to individuals with only a BS/BA. However, from what I've seen these jobs tend to want an adequate amount of experience to justify the person not having a more advanced degree. I know of one guy who only has a BS in biology but works in environmental consulting (but he had 6 years environmental experience post college).

Many consulting gigs want MDs or PhDs or masters at the very least, which makes sense because firms want not just the background knowledge but even more so the critical thinking and problem solving skills.