What to do in gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rosflo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community,

So I am planning on applying for the 2019 cycle, and was wondering what i could do that could help boost my application during the gap year. I had a bit of a rough time during undergrad and my MPH program.

3.28 cGPA undergrad
3.2 MPH GPA (failed one class otherwise mostly A's and A-'s).

Ive been taking care of two family members with heavy-duty chronic illnesses so that interfered with my studies a bit. To try to remedy the GPA situation I enrolled in a post-bacc program structured to mirror first year medical school and I managed to pull off a 4.0.

I have a 510 MCAT; 4+ years of research resulting in 2 research publications, 3 acknowledgments, 1 poster; >1000 hours of shadowing, >500 hours of volunteer work at a homeless shelter, and heavily involved in refugee work.

I would add that research involved working in 2 different labs with strong letters from each as well as two strong letters from post-bacc program professors, in addition to committee letter from undergrad.

I really want to get into an allopathic program in the US. Helpful input would be much appreciated

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN community,

So I am planning on applying for the 2019 cycle, and was wondering what i could do that could help boost my application during the gap year. I had a bit of a rough time during undergrad and my MPH program.

3.28 cGPA undergrad
3.2 MPH GPA (failed one class otherwise mostly A's and A-'s).

Ive been taking care of two family members with heavy-duty chronic illnesses so that interfered with my studies a bit. To try to remedy the GPA situation I enrolled in a post-bacc program structured to mirror first year medical school and I managed to pull off a 4.0.

I have a 510 MCAT; 4+ years of research resulting in 2 research publications, 3 acknowledgments, 1 poster; >1000 hours of shadowing, >500 hours of volunteer work at a homeless shelter, and heavily involved in refugee work.

I would add that research involved working in 2 different labs with strong letters from each as well as two strong letters from post-bacc program professors, in addition to committee letter from undergrad.

I really want to get into an allopathic program in the US. Helpful input would be much appreciated

Thank you
Beggars can't be choosy, you need to have DO schools on your list. Suggest:

Any DO school
U Miami
The Philly Triplets
Your state school(s)
Wake
EVMS
VCU
Albany
NYMC
Loyola

Beggars can't be choosy, you need to have DO schools on your list. Suggest:

Any DO school
U Miami
The Philly Triplets
Your state school(s)
Wake
EVMS
VCU
Albany
NYMC
Loyola
Will be adding DOs as well. Thank you for the list!

Reactions: 1 user