what to do in year off?

kikkoman

15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2004
    i'm taking a year off after undergrad while i apply to medical school. i was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding good programs (research, teaching, or service) that require a time commitment of one year or less.

thanks a lot!

About the Ads

Newquagmire

15+ Year Member
    Oct 30, 2002
      Originally posted by kikkoman
      i'm taking a year off after undergrad while i apply to medical school. i was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding good programs (research, teaching, or service) that require a time commitment of one year or less.

thanks a lot!

if you're as interested in japanese soy sauce as your name suggests, there's the JET program. it's a fairly well known organization run by the japanese government to bring english speakers from across the globe (read: majority are american, some british, irish, oz, kiwi, a few S koreans, germans, others) into junior high classrooms to act as assistants.

it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but i've heard plenty of good things about it if you're interested in something beyond teach for america.

mpaty

15+ Year Member
      Nov 23, 2003
        I'm thinking of taking a year off, but still deciding what to do with it too. Won't it be hard to do anything internationally though while applying? Cause you'll have to first turn in apps, reply to all those secondaries (around what month are the secondaries sent out?), then go for interviews--all this while being out of the country...(must cost alot too). Has anyone done a year off internationally, and still got accepted/went to med school the following year? How'd you do it?

thanks,
        mpaty

jlee9531

J,A,S
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Nov 25, 2002
        CA
        fantasysports.yahoo.com
        1. Attending Physician
          Originally posted by mpaty
          I'm thinking of taking a year off, but still deciding what to do with it too. Won't it be hard to do anything internationally though while applying? Cause you'll have to first turn in apps, reply to all those secondaries (around what month are the secondaries sent out?), then go for interviews--all this while being out of the country...(must cost alot too). Has anyone done a year off internationally, and still got accepted/went to med school the following year? How'd you do it?

thanks,
          mpaty

most likely they would do international for a year and then apply after that committment...thus making it 2 years...or at least thats how i see it. cause it would be tough to do amcas and turn that in during june...and then filling out secondaries till december depending on how slow schools are...and then interviewing anywhere from october to april the following year.
          doing research or volunteering etc...locally would be good if you just wanted to apply right after you graduate.

Newquagmire

15+ Year Member
          Oct 30, 2002
            Originally posted by mpaty
            Has anyone done a year off internationally, and still got accepted/went to med school the following year? How'd you do it?

yes, me for one. there are other people here doing the same thing. to be blunt, it's not easy and the travelling does fatigue (and i consider myself a person who loves travelling). it helps that the economy is crap and airfares are relatively low right now.

i think the keys are to turn everything in early (you can probably turn in secondaries before you leave if your committments dont begin until autumn) and to apply to a limited number of schools that you both 1) would really like to go to and 2) think you can actually be admitted to.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.