what to do in year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gumshoe

LARGE Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, maybe some of you guys can help/recommend something. Here's the story:

I'm about to finish my PGY1 year and I matched a program that begins next year, 2009 (June/July). As such, I'm trying to think what would be good to do for the year to make some cash and/or be flexible. Obviously more rads experience wouldn't hurt, but that's why I'm asking. What do you guys think?

I'm from state that requires 2 years of PG training so licensing over the next year is sort of an issue, unless I move, which isn't all that bad, but not that good either. Cheers,

Gshoe

Members don't see this ad.

Consider doing something that you are interested in related to radiology or not-related to radiology... i.e. pursue study in a subject that you will not likely do again.

On a more practical note, consider doing moonlighting, research, business training? Those are some options I've heard my colleagues do.

What are you thinking of if I may ask? Gaining some more skill in radiology is important but if you gain another skill like i.e. business or other training, it can actually add EVEN MORE value than radiology skills--it can set you apart. But that being said, do something that you will look back and say, darn, that was an awesome year and made me a better doctor/person/radiologist.

Btw, I had a year off at some point, traveled the world and worked as a PCP for a few months in a village where there was no electricity. Now I am sitting next to an MRI scanner that sucks up enough power in a few days to light up that whole village for a year.

Anyway, I think it's great you have a year!! Good luck finding out what to do with it.

Steven Chan MD

Hello, maybe some of you guys can help/recommend something. Here's the story:

I'm about to finish my PGY1 year and I matched a program that begins next year, 2009 (June/July). As such, I'm trying to think what would be good to do for the year to make some cash and/or be flexible. Obviously more rads experience wouldn't hurt, but that's why I'm asking. What do you guys think?

I'm from state that requires 2 years of PG training so licensing over the next year is sort of an issue, unless I move, which isn't all that bad, but not that good either. Cheers,

Gshoe

While we're on this topic, I'd like to take a year off myself, mostly to get scuba divemaster certified and do a lot of diving and maybe some skiing. There's a novel I've always wanted to write and maybe I can get that done too. The time would be taken between the end of my PhD and returning to medical school. This would push me back from a 7 year combined degree student to a 8 year combined degree student (the national average).

Does anyone think this would strongly negatively affect my residency application for Radiology?

While we're on this topic, I'd like to take a year off myself, mostly to get scuba divemaster certified and do a lot of diving and maybe some skiing. There's a novel I've always wanted to write and maybe I can get that done too. The time would be taken between the end of my PhD and returning to medical school. This would push me back from a 7 year combined degree student to a 8 year combined degree student (the national average).

Does anyone think this would strongly negatively affect my residency application for Radiology?

Nope... shoudn't hurt you at all, granted good grades and step scores. Your year off experience would be great points for discussion during your interviews.

Good luck!