What to do post Pediatric residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nidhi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a PGY-2 in Peds in NY. I still have'nt been able to make up my mind for what shd i be doing after my residency?
I know i can pick up a fellowship, but The one i want is GI and is quite hard to get into, esp for an IMG like me. Also, Primary care is a good option, but i wanted to know if there are possibilities of working as a primary care as well as gaining some formal research training? My fiance has also settles in DC, so for that purposes i could only look for places and hospitals in and around Dc and MD!!!

any ideas or suggestions, as to how shd i plan my approach?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want formal research training and want to sign up for 3 years, you could do a hospitalist or a general academic Peds fellowship. Just ask your program director to forward you any advertisements that (s)he gets from places that are looking for applicants! Or (s)he might know colleagues in the region that you're looking at who are involved in such a program.

Maybe consider doing a 2-3 year post doc at NIH since you'll be in the area? Crank out a few pubs and land a GI fellowship.

Maybe consider doing a 2-3 year post doc at NIH since you'll be in the area? Crank out a few pubs and land a GI fellowship.

Can anyone please tell how to get into Peds GI fellowship? Are there any IMG friendly Peds GI programs?

Thanks in advance.