What to do to get into Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medgirl1109

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first-year and I'm interested in rad-onc. What should I be doing (besides getting good grades)?

Members don't see this ad.

About 5 seconds from gfunk admonishing you for not using the search function or reading the meticulously written FAQ. Quick, do it before he reads your post :)

Members don't see this ad :)
About 5 seconds from gfunk admonishing you for not using the search function or reading the meticulously written FAQ. Quick, do it before he reads your post :)

lol :)

I'm a first-year and I'm interested in rad-onc. What should I be doing (besides getting good grades)?

Work hard and get to know the departments. Also make sure you actually like the field. As a person just beginning their first year of medical school you should explore all of medicine and not just this very small sub-specialty.

By my last year of residency, we had high school seniors expressing interest, not college students or M1s - high school students.

Well since you did such a bang up job, no need for me to intervene. :)

Seriously though, Rad Onc applications these days have become ridiculous. Right before I finished residency a lot of them looked like junior faculty applications.

Well since you did such a bang up job, no need for me to intervene. :)

Seriously though, Rad Onc applications these days have become ridiculous. Right before I finished residency a lot of them looked like junior faculty applications.

Is this really becoming true everywhere - or is just more at places like UCSF and MDACC where you wouldn't even think about applying without having 10 pubs or a PhD?

Is this really becoming true everywhere - or is just more at places like UCSF and MDACC where you wouldn't even think about applying without having 10 pubs or a PhD?

I'm seeing med students at very middle-of-the-line programs with RSNA/ASTRO/ACRO presentations in the bag and papers in submission and/or published in the last few years. They are applying broadly.

We had a middle school'er apparently asking for research opps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this true or is my sarcasm meter broken?

Haha, somewhat true, as this person just started 9th grade but was a middle school'er when first came to dept... Wasn't as much about wanting to do Rad Onc as wanting to conduct some interesting research.

Haha, somewhat true, as this person just started 9th grade but was a middle school'er when first came to dept... Wasn't as much about wanting to do Rad Onc as wanting to conduct some interesting research.

Wow, well I'm glad I'm not applying in 11 years when all these current high school freshmen apply :)

This sounds awful. I finished a short elective in rad onc recently and really really like it, but my school/state doesn't have a home program and I have ZERO research. This is going to be an uphill battle.

This sounds awful. I finished a short elective in rad onc recently and really really like it, but my school/state doesn't have a home program and I have ZERO research. This is going to be an uphill battle.

Does your school have a department? If it does, I'd go and speak with one of the attendings as soon as you can so you can start working on some clinical research. If there isn't a department, I'd speak with some of the heme-oncs and see if you can get a project or two done.

I also think it would be a good idea to get a research away elective planned for July of your senior year so that you can get a project or two done elsewhere and submitted in time for ERAS.

I'm sure others can give more specific advice as well!

Does your school have a department? If it does, I'd go and speak with one of the attendings as soon as you can so you can start working on some clinical research. If there isn't a department, I'd speak with some of the heme-oncs and see if you can get a project or two done.

I also think it would be a good idea to get a research away elective planned for July of your senior year so that you can get a project or two done elsewhere and submitted in time for ERAS.

I'm sure others can give more specific advice as well!

My school doesn't have a program. The closest one is five hours away. :laugh:

I was definitely thinking about approaching the heme-oncs and seeing what they have going on; or also trying to find out if any radonc in the area (there aren't many) is doing any research. Problem is I will probably have to wait until I go on psych.

As far as the away research elective, I was planning on doing at least 2 away auditions since I figured they might be more productive than a research elective? Thanks for your help.

Sorry if this is kind of hijacking the thread, but it's the same topic and relevant. Shows you what happens when you don't find out until late.

Shows you what happens when you don't find out until late.

I am also having the same problem :(
I have recently discovered this field and like it. Unfortunately my home school doesn't have a department for Rad Onc and I have no related research in the field. No publication either, which I heard is extremely important for Rad Onc....
Not looking too good for me.....

Both Tulane and LSU have matched people in the past. Get in touch with a few of the community docs - they are good about getting students involved with projects and writing good letters. I went to Tulane many years ago and 2 of us attained positions, and many before and after then. Contact Dr. Elly Zakris at Touro, Dr. Paul Monsour at East Jefferson, and Dr. Scroggins at Ochsner. Tell them your situation and hopefully they will help you put together a small project. The Tulane department is in flux, and may not be as helpful for you.

Both Tulane and LSU have matched people in the past. Get in touch with a few of the community docs - they are good about getting students involved with projects and writing good letters. I went to Tulane many years ago and 2 of us attained positions, and many before and after then. Contact Dr. Elly Zakris at Touro, Dr. Paul Monsour at East Jefferson, and Dr. Scroggins at Ochsner. Tell them your situation and hopefully they will help you put together a small project. The Tulane department is in flux, and may not be as helpful for you.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I already did an elective with Dr. Scroggins and he didn't seem like he would be of much help when I asked, but I will get on the other stuff. Hopefully I can get something going over the holidays or during Psych/Family Med.

My school doesn't have a program. The closest one is five hours away. :laugh:

I was definitely thinking about approaching the heme-oncs and seeing what they have going on; or also trying to find out if any radonc in the area (there aren't many) is doing any research. Problem is I will probably have to wait until I go on psych.

As far as the away research elective, I was planning on doing at least 2 away auditions since I figured they might be more productive than a research elective? Thanks for your help.

Sorry if this is kind of hijacking the thread, but it's the same topic and relevant. Shows you what happens when you don't find out until late.

Is this not at your school?

http://www.feistweiller.org/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=RadiationOncology&category=Patient_Care#Team

Are application numbers down this year? We only have around 175....last year it was well over 200. Just curious what numbers other programs are seeing.

Are application numbers down this year? We only have around 175....last year it was well over 200. Just curious what numbers other programs are seeing.

1249355547045.jpg