what to do w/rejection letters??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tank you

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
post up in room?
bonfire?
toilet paper?
make an "im a loser" collage??

Members don't see this ad.

I say crumple them up into a person shape and burn them in effigy.
You see that, Charlene! Up yours!

send em back, wrigley field style

Members don't see this ad :)
Write a rejection letter to them instead.

Personally I am waiting until I am the world's greatest surgeon and some news network does a biography style segment on me and I will show them all of the ******ed schools that rejected me. That'll show them.

QofQuimica said:
Heh heh, I'm not that creative or ambitious. I just filed mine with the rest of my med school correspondence.
Q, you get rejection letters? With your scores? Ok, you have no grades, but what is the world coming to?

Keep them'...

That way when you get some sweet a$$ acceptances you at least have an address to send them the good news. Plus, I'd even go as far as including their POS rejection with a copy of acceptance letters.

That will show em'!

I have 2 so far. They are displayed proudly in my living room. Sometimes its good to get your ego deflated.

johno83 said:
I have 2 so far. They are displayed proudly in my living room. Sometimes its good to get your ego deflated.

Mine is posted in my office, and I've been getting a pretty good kick out of it. I actually haven't read past the first line yet, but do I need to when the first line is:

"I am writing to share what I believe will be disappointing news."

?

Death of a thousand papercuts?

No, I've no imagination, I just file them together with my withdrawals files. And a separate pile for pending, one for interviews coming up, and one for acceptances.

unfrozencaveman said:
Mine is posted in my office, and I've been getting a pretty good kick out of it. I actually haven't read past the first line yet, but do I need to when the first line is:

?

Wait-- is that Dartmouth?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to save them and show my kids how hard it is to become a physician. I also want them to realize that although the majority might not find you "good" enough, there might be one out there to believe in you and that is all you need.

send them back with a counter offer?

i definitely like the wrigley field answer :cool:

I'm into archery... sooo.... my rejection letters have been pasted onto a bullseye. My aim has gotten so much better! I've had WAY TOO MUCH PRACTICE

unfrozencaveman said:

?

yeah i got a kick out of that first line too. the rest of the letter was so consoling, as if i had suffered the greatest heartbreak. funny thing is i had withdrawn several weeks prior :confused: and yeah it was Dart, unless other schools have ripped off their "we are so amazing that it must be horrific for you to learn you have not been offered a place at our amazing institution" letter format.

My friends and I burn them while dancing around them ritualistically...neighbors and the fire department are not amused.

another "occasion" is coming up; RSVP at [email protected]

note: BYOLetters

I'm gonna show them to girls and beg for sympathy sex.

mercaptovizadeh said:
Wait-- is that Dartmouth?

Yeah. I might keep it handy to send Andrew Welch a postcard from Miami next February.

jhrugger said:
yeah i got a kick out of that first line too. the rest of the letter was so consoling, as if i had suffered the greatest heartbreak. funny thing is i had withdrawn several weeks prior :confused: and yeah it was Dart, unless other schools have ripped off their "we are so amazing that it must be horrific for you to learn you have not been offered a place at our amazing institution" letter format.

I know, right? It should have also suggested I may want to be seated before continuing.

RayhanS1282 said:
I'm gonna show them to girls and beg for sympathy sex.

That's the best use for them I've heard yet! :D I've got a fat stack of them from last cycle in my drawer.

At Rice, there was a Rejection letter party at the end of the year-- we traded 'em in for beer and pizza.

And yeah, the "we know you MUST be soo disappointed" letters were the best to bring to the party. Especially as I had already decided on a school and wanted another slice of pizza :)

OddNath said:
At Rice, there was a Rejection letter party at the end of the year-- we traded 'em in for beer and pizza.

And yeah, the "we know you MUST be soo disappointed" letters were the best to bring to the party. Especially as I had already decided on a school and wanted another slice of pizza :)

haha, I WAS JUST about to post this!

I'm gonna frame all of them and hang them up around my MD diploma.

Someone wrote a really good "Rejection of a Rejection Letter Letter" and posted it a while ago-- I'll try to find it, but with all the server changes and misadventures it might be gone.

unfrozencaveman said:

?

LOL, that Dartmouth rejection was terrible

unfrozencaveman said:
I know, right? It should have also suggested I may want to be seated before continuing.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dear Applicant,

Please have a seat...

poop on them

Messerschmitts said:
That's the best use for them I've heard yet! :D I've got a fat stack of them from last cycle in my drawer.

yep, i've also got a nice pile from last year...12 in all, and already 1 this year from the same school :)

one can send them back saying "you can't reject me! i withdraw my app!"
i also like the idea of sending them back w/ an acceptance letter copy, but i seem to be missing one of those :(

i am planning on keeping them until i do get an acceptance...i used them for reference this year to see which schools rejected me the fastest (and therefore i did not apply to them again).....seems to have worked so far for a better round of apps

jtank said:
post up in room?
bonfire?
toilet paper?

i used to post up my rejection letters next to a paper that said "They think you're a loser, work harder you slacker and prove them wrong" as a motivation.

unfrozencaveman said:

?
it's weird.. i made a joke about this one earlier today and came home to find out that I got it too! good thing I was sitting down when I opened it!

jtank said:
post up in room?
bonfire?
toilet paper?

Take them to the post office and tell them that the person does not live there anymore. If you know the folks at the post office tell them to stamp a big-- RETURN TO SENDER, ADDRESSEE NO LONGER LIVES HERE-- on them!

I am sure the schools will get a kick out of it and say Hmmm what is going on here???

USArmyDoc said:
I am going to save them and show my kids how hard it is to become a physician. I also want them to realize that although the majority might not find you "good" enough, there might be one out there to believe in you and that is all you need.

I like that. :thumbup:

I burned all of mine in a bonfire with friends. Some of my friends also brought their own stuff; letters from ex's, their own rejections, bad grades, ect. A real fun time was had by all. One of my comrades also drew faces of agony on each letter, just to amplify that effect.

jtank said:
post up in room?
bonfire?
toilet paper?

back when i was doing undergrad i saved them so that if i got into grad school anywhere where i was rejected as an undergrad I could send them my rejection letter in place of my SIR :laugh:

not going to end up doing that, i've matured a little. would be funny though, i still have 'em.