what to do...what to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dee vee emm

Future DVM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey!
Ok so there was something I was wondering... I am planning on applying to vet school in Ontario next year...
First thing is... So I kinda "slacked" my first couple years in University (I just finished my 3rd year in Bio) and my grades aren't as "competitive" as I would like them to be..but they're not like horrible either.
But on the other hand...I co-oped at a small animal clinic when I was in my last year of high school and they hired me when I finished and I've been working there for almost 3 1/2 years now...so I do have a lot of experience with small animal practice. I'm going to be volunteering at a large animal practive soon to gain some experience there.
Also in my 4th year next year I will be doing a thesis project that has potential to be published in a scientific journal.
So the thing I was wondering is if I got a really good MCAT score and have all this experience plus a chance to get my project published...could that possibly help me get into vet school even though my grades aren't "competitive"?? Thanks!!
-Dee😎
 
yup. they look at the whole picture. 🙂

i don't know much about canadian schools, but in the US you can also take the GRE in place of the MCAT and it is a whole lot easier...might be something to consider, at least
 
in the US you can also take the GRE in place of the MCAT
It's not "in place of"... Most US vet schools won't accept MCAT scores at all. (A handful will accept either GRE or MCAT, and there are none that require MCAT exclusively.)

OP: Unless Canadian schools expect the MCAT, take the GRE.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's not "in place of"... Most US vet schools won't accept MCAT scores at all. (A handful will accept either GRE or MCAT, and there are none that require MCAT exclusively.)

well that's what i meant, apologies for not wording it correctly
 
I wasn't trying to be harsh on you, silverelf, just to clarify so the OP understood that the MCAT was actually not a good option... Unless Canadian schools prefer/expect it, which may well be the case...
 
I know that OVC requires the MCAT for all Canadian applicants. So we don't get a choice! Which makes it that much more difficult for those thinking of applying elsewhere as you must take two tests. Also, OVC changed their MCAT requirements this year so you must take it earlier than before.
 
By the way, dee, you said you're applying in Ontario next year. If you plan on only applying to Guelph (or if you'd really, really prefer to go there even if you'll apply elsewhere) then don't bother asking us for advice... First check their web site, they should publish average stats for the past few years' admitted classes. More importantly, call the admissions office and ask for an appointment with the dean or director of admissions or somebody along those lines. (Ideally after you've taken the MCAT or at least some practice tests so that you can give the most complete picture possible.) Ask them to give you an honest assessment of your chances given the range of applicants they've gotten in recent years. Ask them for specific things you can do to improve your application, how they'll view your thesis project, etc.