What to do while in Postbacc

Started by dgp29
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dgp29

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's the deal:

I just started Drexel's PMED Postbacc program Fall '06 and am wondering what I should do with my spare time...

As of right now, I'm volunteering as a research assistant at Drexel's college of medicine (dept. of psychiatry) with prospects of getting my name on a couple of articles (I intend on staying there for the next 2 yrs while doing the postbacc).

In the past, I've volunteered my time all over the place in the medical field: summers at a cancer institute, summers at a psychiatric center, 6 months at a developmental disabilities center, 8 months at the association against anorexia and bulimia in Barcelona, 3 months at a military hospital in Mexico....

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to how spend the rest of my free time? should i just keep on picking up more volunteer experiences, maybe add more hours at the place i'm at now....? In other words, what should i do between now and 1.5 yrs from now to make me the most attractive applicant when applying to med schools?

FYI: UG @ boston university, major: communications, gpa: 3.35

open to any and all suggestions...thx
 
I would really just concentrate on making A's in your postbacc program. Between studying and studying there shouldn't be a lot of free or spare time. You don't want to walk away with C's in your postbacc.

Just my 2 cents.😀
 
look for some volunteer experience that is not medically related: homeless shelter, soup kitchen, etc. try to stick with one place for a good while, it'll show dedication and you could possibly get a good recc. letter out of it.
whatever you do, don't let it take away from putting the studying time in for the post bacc classes....