what to do while your waiting to find out where/if you got in?/??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am applying for '09 at MD and DO schools, however, since my stats are low (GPA) i have been doing post-bac work and I am taking the MCAT june 13th (please see my MD apps for more info). I was wondering what I should do for the fall and the spring of next year since I might not know anything until this time next year. I have a few options; 1. Keep taking post-bac classes and PA pre-reqs and apply to both MD,DO, and PA school for '10 if I dont get into '09; 2. Take classes over again from undergrad to improve that GPA and just bank on DO schools for '10(once again if I dont get into '09). Any suggestions????

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so I am applying for '09 at MD and DO schools, however, since my stats are low (GPA) i have been doing post-bac work and I am taking the MCAT june 13th (please see my MD apps for more info). I was wondering what I should do for the fall and the spring of next year since I might not know anything until this time next year. I have a few options; 1. Keep taking post-bac classes and PA pre-reqs and apply to both MD,DO, and PA school for '10 if I dont get into '09; 2. Take classes over again from undergrad to improve that GPA and just bank on DO schools for '10(once again if I dont get into '09). Any suggestions????

Ok, a couple of things come to mind while looking at your mdapps:

• Do you want to be a physician or a PA? Those are two quite different professions though with a lot of overlap. However, are you going towards the PA as a backup because if you are, you should be ok with that decision and not feel bitter years later that you didn't pursue the physician route.
  • Your GPA is low but with some work you could bring it up. I think you should see if you can PM TexasTriathelete because he is a great person to get a sense of how to come from a low GPA and then get into med school. He's going to PCOM-GA this August. It may mean holding out to apply until the 2009-2010 cycle but if you really want to pursue medicine, it might be worth working on classes for the next two years and bringing your GPA above 3.0 so you are more competitive for MD/DO schools.
  • Finally, I think for now you should pursue volunteering and taking classes because right now getting your GPA is the most important thing - have you taken all of your pre-reqs? Maybe even talk to an advisor and see if you should think about taking the MCAT right now or holding out for the 2010 cycle and taking it later so you can focus on bringing up the GPA.
I hope some of this helps! Good luck :D

Your BCPM gpa is going to make getting into MD schools a real uphill battle.
I would retake any science class lower than a B and focus on DO schools.

If for some reason you really want MD, then I'd say you need 1-2 years of upper level UG courses followed up with a SMP.
This may still not be enough.

As for PA school. Decide on doctor or PA and take the appropriate steps. Many PA schools are tough to get in as well and often require more extensive prereqs which you may not have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, a couple of things come to mind while looking at your mdapps:

• Do you want to be a physician or a PA? Those are two quite different professions though with a lot of overlap. However, are you going towards the PA as a backup because if you are, you should be ok with that decision and not feel bitter years later that you didn't pursue the physician route.
  • Your GPA is low but with some work you could bring it up. I think you should see if you can PM TexasTriathelete because he is a great person to get a sense of how to come from a low GPA and then get into med school. He's going to PCOM-GA this August. It may mean holding out to apply until the 2009-2010 cycle but if you really want to pursue medicine, it might be worth working on classes for the next two years and bringing your GPA above 3.0 so you are more competitive for MD/DO schools.
  • Finally, I think for now you should pursue volunteering and taking classes because right now getting your GPA is the most important thing - have you taken all of your pre-reqs? Maybe even talk to an advisor and see if you should think about taking the MCAT right now or holding out for the 2010 cycle and taking it later so you can focus on bringing up the GPA.
I hope some of this helps! Good luck :D

1st one- I want to be a doctor and the PA thing is a back-up, however, my dad is a PA so I know how great they are and would not be too upset:) I have taken all the PA pre-reqs as well.
2nd one-I have been doing post-bac work for 2 years now and have a 3.7ish in post-bac and plan on still taking classes just depends which ones depending on which track I take
3rd one-Ya I am 26 and dont want to wait any longer than I have to, that is why I wanted to apply this year and then if it doesnt work then try again, just didnt know which way I should go on next years track
Thanks I will PM him and see what he says:)

Your BCPM gpa is going to make getting into MD schools a real uphill battle.
I would retake any science class lower than a B and focus on DO schools.

If for some reason you really want MD, then I'd say you need 1-2 years of upper level UG courses followed up with a SMP.
This may still not be enough.

As for PA school. Decide on doctor or PA and take the appropriate steps. Many PA schools are tough to get in as well and often require more extensive prereqs which you may not have.

thanks for the advice, I have already taken all the pre-reqs for PA as well and I am finishing my 4 semester or post-bac UG work right now with a 3.7 in that, I figured the MD schools would be a tough job thanks again for the help

Dreams,

I took a look at your MDapps, there are some obstacles to overcome, but I think you have some good things going for you as well. Believe it or not, you're better off now, than I was when I applied. PM me if you want and I can pass along what little advice I have later in the day.

Good Luck!

Dreams,

I took a look at your MDapps, there are some obstacles to overcome, but I think you have some good things going for you as well. Believe it or not, you're better off now, than I was when I applied. PM me if you want and I can pass along what little advice I have later in the day.

Good Luck!
thanks just PMed you so hope to hear from you soon!!