What to do with 700 usd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FattySlug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to see my uncle recently and he gave me 700 usd to be "supportive" of me applying to medical schools. Is it still worth it to add schools at this stage or too late already? Should I just keep the check for interview expenses? I am already complete all applied schools. Which schools should I add? Thanks a lot for your input.
Stats: cGPA 3.64, sGPA 3.7 MCAT 33M 12PS 10VR 11BS
State CA
My ECs is here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11016583#post11016583 too long to included.

Schools applied:
In state:
UC Davis,
UCI,
USC.
OOS:
FIU
Boston (rejected)
DownState
Miami
Georgetown
Loyola
Hofstra
NYMC
FAU
Tulane
Temple
GWU
Albany
Jefferson

Schools I am considering to add: Toledo, UIC, Louisville.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are certain private schools such as SLU, NYMC, etc that you have a shot at.

It's still .. on time.

You could also try a few DO applications. You are still much on time for that.

You could add a couple more on the list. Use the rest of the money to buy a glorious feast from the Cheesecake Factory.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to see my uncle recently and he gave me 700 usd to be "supportive" of me applying to medical schools. Is it still worth it to add schools at this stage or should I just keep the check for interview expenses? I am already complete all applied schools. Which schools should I add? Thanks a lot for your input.
State CA
My ECs is here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11016583#post11016583 too long to included.

Schools applied:
In state:
UC Davis,
UCI,
USC.
OOS:
FIU
Boston (rejected)
DownState
Miami
Georgetown
Loyola
Hofstra
NYMC
FAU
Tulane
Temple
GWU
Albany
Jefferson

Not related to the $700 dollars but I really like your list. Reminds me of my list except I applied to all of the UC's and a few reaches.

Lol, I thought the question was how should you spend the money, in general.

I just want a new camera lens. A decent one. Probably a prime, or maybe a wide angle. I want a new one though... :(

I went to see my uncle recently and he gave me 700 usd to be "supportive" of me applying to medical schools. Is it still worth it to add schools at this stage or too late already? Should I just keep the check for interview expenses? I am already complete all applied schools. Which schools should I add? Thanks a lot for your input.
State CA

Schools applied:
In state:
UC Davis,
UCI,
USC.
OOS:
FIU
Boston (rejected)
DownState
Miami
Georgetown
Loyola
Hofstra
NYMC
FAU
Tulane
Temple
GWU
Albany
Jefferson

I wouldn't add schools, your list looks good as it is. I would use it for interview expenses (gas, suit if you need one, hotel stuff) and with the rest maybe take him out to the bar or go on a small vaca or something after one of your acceptances to say thank you.

mohad your avatar just gave me epilepsy. Yes, gave me epilepsy.

I don't like bedbugs. Do you?

Permethrin. $25 on eBay, permeate your clothes with it, then dry. Incidentally, this also makes you mosquito-proof and killer-bee-proof.

Members don't see this ad :)
State CA

Schools applied:
In state:
UC Davis,
UCI,
USC.
OOS:
FIU
Boston (rejected)
DownState
Miami
Georgetown
Loyola
Hofstra
NYMC
FAU
Tulane
Temple
GWU
Albany
Jefferson

It won't cost you $700 to add 3-4 more schools. Also someone on here rec. SLU. I second this. My friend tacked SLU and MCW onto her application last year at the last minute and it was her saving grace. Thanks to that decision she is now a medical student and not a reapplicant... Another friend tacked SUNY upstate to his list at the last minute and again thanks to that decision he won't be reapplying this year. (It's tough being a californian eh)

I really don't know how strong your application is. If you already have funds available for interviewing than I don't see why you couldn't tack on a few more safeties. You can never be too sure how this process will go.

Gym membership, really nice thank you notes, and some top-shelf booze to be opened on acceptance.

any reason why you're not applying to all of the UCs?

As a CA resident, I have to say....it seems like a total crap shoot when it comes to predicting which one will like you. They are your in state schools...cover all of your bases.

It sounds like you've got your ducks more or less in a row. Put the money into the good-looking-interview-suit fund.

As a CA resident, I have to say....it seems like a total crap shoot when it comes to predicting which one will like you. They are your in state schools...cover all of your bases.

Yah he really should have applied to all of them. I am living proof that you never know where you'll end up.

Yah he really should have applied to all of them. I am living proof that you never know where you'll end up.

UCSD and UCSF stats are too high. UCLA secondary asks questions about honor, leadership and scholarly project all of which I don't have.

I am adding SLU and UIC and maybe Toledo. Is it too late to do that now? I am gonna spend the rest of the money on shoes and traveling expenses.

Don't try for UCSD unless you're a superstar. :mad:

/UCSD undergrad

Strippers and cocaine, bro. Enjoy.
tumblr_ll7ahqMU1n1qg23iho1_500.gif

Your new hobby: whisky.
maltcorner.jpg

Canadian- Crown Royal Reserve
Irish- Redbreast 12yr (pure pot still)
Superior blend- Ballantine's 17yr
Light and fruity- The Balvenie 15yr (single cask)
Sherry bomb- Aberlour A'bundah (cask strength, small batch)
Balanced- Highland Park 12yr
Islay peat monster- Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Japanese (yes Japanese)- Yamazaki 18y
Unusual complex bonus- Bruichladdich Infinity
Crap blend to mix for the savages- Chivas Regal
Interesting bourbon for comparison- Woodford Reserve

You can get all that, your single malt/whisky starter set for about $500. That leaves $200 for a new Men's Warehouse suit.;)

maltcorner.jpg

You can get all that, your single malt/whisky starter set for about $500. That leaves $200 for a new Men's Warehouse suit.;)

You'll like the way you look, they guarantee it :thumbup:

UCSD and UCSF stats are too high. UCLA secondary asks questions about honor, leadership and scholarly project all of which I don't have.

I am adding SLU and UIC and maybe Toledo. Is it too late to do that now? I am gonna spend the rest of the money on shoes and traveling expenses.
:shrug: I got into UCSD with a 20k/yr scholarship and smacked down by all the rest. You never know.

I'm just saying, IF you can afford it, do it. They are your state schools and your best chance for a lower-debt existence.

:shrug: I got into UCSD with a 20k/yr scholarship and smacked down by all the rest. You never know.

I'm just saying, IF you can afford it, do it. They are your state schools and your best chance for a lower-debt existence.

Are you in state? If not, you definitely must have an amazing app

^^^ cougs is amazing! :)

Knock out UIC. Keep in mind it is going to be 70k+ just for tuition and another 20k for living expenses. I would take my chances on needing to reapply.

MCW is a GREAT school and you have a GREAT shot of being accepted there. it's 40k a year and 1.5 hours from downtown Chicago.

In my personal opinion, you should also add Creighton. SLU didn't even bother interviewing me last year (so I have a grudge). :( With your GPA/MCAT, i think you can get away with not applying DO. I do recommend applying to all your STATE schools also -- even if you don't think you are a good match. You never know!!

^^^ cougs is amazing! :)
Knock out UIC. Keep in mind it is going to be 70k+ just for tuition and another 20k for living expenses. I would take my chances on needing to reapply.

MCW is a GREAT school and you have a GREAT shot of being accepted there. it's 40k a year and 1.5 hours from downtown Chicago.

In my personal opinion, you should also add Creighton. SLU didn't even bother interviewing me last year (so I have a grudge). :( With your GPA/MCAT, i think you can get away with not applying DO. I do recommend applying to all your STATE schools also -- even if you don't think you are a good match. You never know!!
Thanks for the suggestion. UIC seems OOS friendly so even if it's expensive it might be the only school I get into. So I will do SLU, UIC, MCW and Creighton. I really have a hard time seeing the other UCs give me a shot.

maltcorner.jpg

mmm my staple laphroaig quarter cask higher etoh ftw

Yeah, I would go for UCSD and take Georgetown off of your list. A lot of people I know (myself included) do not submit the secondary for Georgetown after doing a little bit of reading on its curriculum and its student body.

Also consider AECOM :)

+5 points for Cougar-ness on the app review, duh. :D

Lol two my friends are attending UCSD. Because I'm curious, I'm going to ask them to figure out who you are Cougs...

Anyone wanna take bets on whether CougarMD is hott? I can start a new thread with a poll

edit: after rereading this I just realized how stalkerish it sounds. Nvm lol

Lol two my friends are attending UCSD. Because I'm curious, I'm going to ask them to figure out who you are Cougs...

Anyone wanna take bets on whether CougarMD is hott? I can start a new thread with a poll

edit: after rereading this I just realized how stalkerish it sounds. Nvm lol

Hahaha, ok, so since this has caused so much speculation, just FYI, I turned the UCSD offer down:)

Hahaha, ok, so since this has caused so much speculation, just FYI, I turned the UCSD offer down:)

You turned down 20K/year and sunny beaches? Did you get into Mayo with a full ride? Jeessus... and here you were talking about not being amazing. Psssh, false modesty :laugh:

I know we have a decent amount of californians here at Ohio state,plus you get in-state tuition after one year. Definitely apply here with your stats.
Oh I forgot about this one!

yeah, I remember talking to someone (Fin Aid Adviser, I think) from Ohio State...they love Californians and non-trads. Good school to apply to.

I know we have a decent amount of californians here at Ohio state,plus you get in-state tuition after one year. Definitely apply here with your stats.

yeah, I remember talking to someone (Fin Aid Adviser, I think) from Ohio State...they love Californians and non-trads. Good school to apply to.

Thanks a lot. After some thinking I am adding Louisville, MCW, Creighton and Ohio state.

Buy a couple strippers and have a sexy party.

Since it has been seconded I will "thirded" it. Absolutely apply to Ohio. They love californians