What to do with my MSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

konp

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,

I am planning to get my Master of Social Work. I have a BA in Sociology and my undergrad GPA was 3.5

I am planning to do the online MSW at USC or some other online universities

I have been going through some extreme stress lately and my heart rate was between 90 to 96 per minute; I believe heart rate is in the normal range but it is more of in the high end. This stress has been going on for over a year and it might affect my health in the future. Due to health reason, I want to get my MSW online and yes I am aware that I will have to do field work for the MSW

Here are my questions are for the MSW:

1. Is it better to get the MSW online or in person? does it even matter if we get our MSW online?

2. What environment can I work in so that I won't be stressed out easily (I am very prone to stress) after I get my MSW?
I was thinking of working at a small outpatient clinic

Thank you for all of your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hello everyone,

I am planning to get my Master of Social Work. I have a BA in Sociology and my undergrad GPA was 3.5

I am planning to do the online MSW at USC or some other online universities

I have been going through some extreme stress lately and my heart rate was between 90 to 96 per minute; I believe heart rate is in the normal range but it is more of in the high end. This stress has been going on for over a year and it might affect my health in the future. Due to health reason, I want to get my MSW online and yes I am aware that I will have to do field work for the MSW

Here are my questions are for the MSW:

1. Is it better to get the MSW online or in person? does it even matter if we get our MSW online?

2. What environment can I work in so that I won't be stressed out easily (I am very prone to stress) after I get my MSW?
I was thinking of working at a small outpatient clinic

Thank you for all of your help.
1. It might matter. Some employers may care, others may not. Some employers know which schools produce the most knowledgeable graduates and others just want a body in the position. You may limit yourself via online schools. Plus, part of learning is the interactive part you get from exchanging info among classmates.

2. If you are prone to stress, social work may not be the best fit for you. Social workers are in many different positions: hospitals, schools, human services agencies, clinics, to name a few. All have stressful components and each individual reacts differently to stress. Outpatient clinics depend on the client showing up for the appointment. Hospitals are often fast paced and can have high caseloads. Schools may also be a fast paced setting depending on the district and student population. Might want to think about why you chose social work and what your desired career is before applying to programs.

Hello Konp,
I am currently attending USC for their MSW program and in my 2nd year (finishing up this semester and then 2 more to go).

USC is highly reputable in producing trained professionals (MSW). USC offers on-campus classes as well as the Virtual Academic Center (VAC) where you complete coursework that is identical to on-ground courses. When you graduate from USC, there is no distinction between on-campus or online, the name USC carries its weight.

1. This is irrelevant if you choose to get your degree via on-campus or through the VAC at USC, there is no distinction between the two with the exception that in VAC, you will meet working professionals already working in one manner or another in the human services field, giving you unique insights.

2. The MSW degree itself is extremely flexible and the courses are generalist in the nature due to the various settings one can work with with an MSW. With that being said, USC does offer three concentrations with sub-concentrations such as Adult Mental Health and Wellness (AMHW), Children, Youth, and Families (CYF), and Social Change and Innovation (SCI). The sub-concentrations are Military Social Work and School Social Work.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

All of the social workers I have ever known (and I've worked with a lot of them in a lot of different clinics/hospitals throughout my training/career) have had jobs that seemed at least as stressful as mine, but usually a good bit more stressful. In my opinion I don't think any of them get paid enough for the work they do because they do a lot of juggling stressful situations. Low-stress MSW jobs might exist out there somewhere, but I wouldn't have the slightest clue where that might possibly be. If you outline your interests a bit better, there might be some other career options that might be less stressful and pay about the same (or better) on average. When I finished my masters and before going on to a PhD program, I was dismayed when I saw how much a respiratory therapist could make, and at the time that job sounded about as interesting / fun to me as the job that I was doing, and probably less stressful. If it's the only career path you can imagine for yourself, wonderful- carry on. If you aren't positive, O*net is a nice place to browse career options. O*NET OnLine