What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tanyas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I got a letter of acceptance from UCSF today...finally, but at the same time.....Here's my situation: I am on "active consideration" at USC and I got into Western. I never even considered the possibility of getting into SF, espicially since USC basically does not want me. My thing is that I really wanted to stay in LA, my bf is not willing to move and my whole life is here. I moved out here to go to UCLA and have built a very nice life here...it kind of sucks to start from scratch again at SF. I am not asking for advice to choose btwn SF and Pomona, I think no matter what the circumstances, SF is clearly the better choice. But what would you do if you got into SC and SF? I am still hoping that SC will accept me...Which school would u choose? Also, would anyone under the circumstances pass on SF and go to Western? Anyone knows where I can find the passing rates for boards? Thanks a lot. I am really excited that I got into SF, but I am nicely confused....

Members don't see this ad.

I got into sc and ucsf and chose sc, but it was a personal preference thing. i really wanted to get out of sf and i was hella jazzed about the policy program at sc. I didn't get into ucsd and don't know what i woulda done if i got into sc and ucsd. That woulda been a tougher decision for me.

They're both awesome, so you gotta weigh what your future prospects and your current needs. It's gonna be cheaper, even w/sf cost of living to go to ucsf. that's gotta run through your mind. For me my current needs and future prospects were more aligned w/sc than ucsf, but that may not be you. tons of ucsf students are from LA w/their significant others remaining in LA for them. A level III at ucsf that i'm friends w/has been long distance with his gf in garden grove the whole time. it's been really hard for them, but they're still together. That said, another friend of mine at sc is convinced she's gonna have to end her relationship w/her bf in the bay area, bc she doesn't wanna do LD anymore.

Figure out what's best for your career, where you see yourself in ten years and figure out which program is gonna be the best fit to get you there.

Since I am still wait listed at SC, let's suppose that I do not get in. Am I crazy to even consider going to Western instead of SF?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, you're not crazy, bc i've known others who've made that decision, but make sure it's got your best interests in mind. I know it sounds all cold, but you'll meet a jillion bad ass dudes at ucsf and in the bay area in general.

tanyas,
tri is rite. do what's best for yourself. don't worry about it's SF or SC. they're both great pharm schools. congrats on your acceptance. good luck to your decision. and if you decide to come to SF this fall, i look forward to meeting you!