what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdn24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im unsure as to what i should do. I am currently enrolled in a PhD program. Unfortunately i was given deadlines that can not be met so i decided to switch to a masters program. And im not really in love with research anymore. I am applying to PharmD programs since i will be finished with my masters soon. However i was rejected from one school already. I dont want to sit out next year so im trying to apply to programs now. What should i do if i dont get accepted to a PharmD program? I was thinking about PA or a nuclear med program but i missed the admissions deadline for PA.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the reason for rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's pretty late in the application cycle to be applying seeing as you will be placed into a pool of candidates who more or less may have a GPA which is 3.5 or higher. With that being said, the deadlines for the remaining schools are March 1st, which puts you in a tough spot. So, given this information you should take into account what your:

-GPA is for your PhD program when you applied through PharmCAS
-PCAT score
-Extracurriculars

If your PCAT is less than a 50, I can see where your problem is at, and would recommend re-taking the test. You could also go out-of-state and apply to schools that don't require the PCAT.

How do you know if you got rejected? I've only been getting interview invitations and notices saying I have to pay supplemental fees

How do you know if you got rejected? I've only been getting interview invitations and notices saying I have to pay supplemental fees

They send a letter or email of rejection.

They will notify you via email application rejected. And allow you to call and ask for a reason.
Did you apply to so many schools that you already getting an interview?

Interviews are a dime a dozen, acceptances aren't.

They will notify you via email application rejected. And allow you to call and ask for a reason.
Did you apply to so many schools that you already getting an interview?
Yea I applied to a lot of schools. I've only been getting invitations from east coast tho. I'm hoping for Midwestern or pacific Oregon

The school emailed me and told me that i wasnt invited to an interview

The school emailed me and told me that i wasnt invited to an interview
Well we don't know your whole statistic. So like majority of us we talk here and hope. But I decided to reapply next year anyway

Well we don't know your whole statistic. So like majority of us we talk here and hope. But I decided to reapply next year anyway
Yes im applying to other schools so hopefully i can get an interview and get accepted. I just dont want to have to sit out an entire year not doing anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes im applying to other schools so hopefully i can get an interview and get accepted. I just dont want to have to sit out an entire year not doing anything.
Me too! I also applied pretty late and didn't realize that I could of apply earlier. Next cycle starts July, so if you apply earlier and get a sit, that empty year will be ok. Or plan to retake pcat in July.

Me too! I also applied pretty late and didn't realize that I could of apply earlier. Next cycle starts July, so if you apply earlier and get a sit, that empty year will be ok. Or plan to retake pcat in July.
Yes I could do that. Did you get an interview invite anywhere? I applied so late because i just found out about my situation in my doctoral program in December so I had no choice but to apply late. im just not in love with research anymore like i used to be. I need more structure.

What schools did you apply to and what schools are you looking into applying to?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes I could do that. Did you get an interview invite anywhere? I applied so late because i just found out about my situation in my doctoral program in December so I had no choice but to apply late. im just not in love with research anymore like i used to be. I need more structure.
Nope. I applied to few but no interview so far. Also applied late. Not on the deadline, but late because applying for early decision considered early and best. I got rejected from one school bc of pcat, but I didn't have good chances for that school anyway, cause they take 20 students out of state. And than I got happy because that school is about the research, I don't care about the research (UF)

Nope. I applied to few but no interview so far. Also applied late. Not on the deadline, but late because applying for early decision considered early and best. I got rejected from one school bc of pcat, but I didn't have good chances for that school anyway, cause they take 20 students out of state. And than I got happy because that school is about the research, I don't care about the research (UF)
Did you only apply to in state schools? Yes im beating myself for applying so late but maybe it wasnt meant to be. Still waiting to hear back from the other schools. Hopefully i hear something good

Did you only apply to in state schools? Yes im beating myself for applying so late but maybe it wasnt meant to be. Still waiting to hear back from the other schools. Hopefully i hear something good
Yes, 3 out state, and 1 in state. Whoever will take me lol, to this point I am happy with any of these 4 schools, I like them all. But I didn't apply to school that doesn't require pcat, it's way to expensive, but prob easy to get. I also beating myself for not doing it earlier, but honestly I couldn't do it... So let's sit and hope :)

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, 3 out state, and 1 in state. Whoever will take me lol, to this point I am happy with any of these 4 schools, I like them all. But I didn't apply to school that doesn't require pcat, it's way to expensive, but prob easy to get. I also beating myself for not doing it earlier, but honestly I couldn't do it... So let's sit and hope :)
Yes hopefully you will hear something soon. When did you submit to PharmCas?

Im unsure as to what i should do. I am currently enrolled in a PhD program. Unfortunately i was given deadlines that can not be met so i decided to switch to a masters program. And im not really in love with research anymore. I am applying to PharmD programs since i will be finished with my masters soon. However i was rejected from one school already. I dont want to sit out next year so im trying to apply to programs now. What should i do if i dont get accepted to a PharmD program? I was thinking about PA or a nuclear med program but i missed the admissions deadline for PA.
I would still try to apply to other programs if you really want to pursue pharmacy. I have a low PCAT composite (however I have strong EC) and I got 6 interview invites in February, actually interviewed at four schools and got accepted to all of them. I would apply widely and email schools with your stats to see how competitive you are. Seems like you're up to doing anything if it means you don't have a year to do nothing whether its pharmacy, PA, or nuclear med .. which if you're so unsure, I think its okay to take a year off until you're very sure what you want to do and commit to a program.

I would still try to apply to other programs if you really want to pursue pharmacy. I have a low PCAT composite (however I have strong EC) and I got 6 interview invites in February, actually interviewed at four schools and got accepted to all of them. I would apply widely and email schools with your stats to see how competitive you are. Seems like you're up to doing anything if it means you don't have a year to do nothing whether its pharmacy, PA, or nuclear med .. which if you're so unsure, I think its okay to take a year off until you're very sure what you want to do and commit to a program.
what was the first choice school that you got into?