What to do?

Started by hunter1077
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hunter1077

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I roll my state retirement 25k(loose employeer contribution 25k) to an IRA and withdraw for medical school expenses (no fees but do pay taxes)?
Or should I leave in and borrow more?
Also, I have two children and knowing how expensive unexpected things arise from them, should I take out the maximum of federal loans or should I just borrow what I think will get me by?
Thanks for the advise.
 
hunter1077 said:
Should I roll my state retirement 25k(loose employeer contribution 25k) to an IRA and withdraw for medical school expenses (no fees but do pay taxes)?
Or should I leave in and borrow more?
Also, I have two children and knowing how expensive unexpected things arise from them, should I take out the maximum of federal loans or should I just borrow what I think will get me by?
Thanks for the advise.



Leave your retirement monies alone until you are in a desperate financial crisis. You are going to pay more in taxes when you take money out of your IRA than the federal loans will cost over the long-term. Borrow money now and budget a little extra for the kids for the year, but not the max available. If you get into a financial emergency the first resource for $$ will maybe be your family, then the financial aid dept. They have many emergency loan options for various amts ($250-$2000+) specifically for students. Fin Aid realizes #### happens and they are pretty good at helping if they can. Then, if you find you need a bigger budget, take more federal money during the next school year.