What to expect from interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychbird

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who's been there share personal experience with those of us who are about to be there? I'm interested in things ranging from the interview itself like easy questions vs. the difficult questions to the more mundane things like how you arranged your flight or transportation and where you stayed, where you ate, things like that. For women, do you wear your hair back or down? I know that sounds silly but I want to look as professional as possible. Thanks everyone for advice and comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone help out?
Also, if there is a reception, what is appropriate? Dressy or professional?

I'll take a stab at this...

Most places will house you with a current grad student, which is great, because it provides you with the opportunity to gather a lot of info about the culture of the program, etc. On the other hand, for the anxious ones amongst us (speaking from experience!), it can make the whole two or three day affair feel like one long interview, because you are always being evaluated, either formally in an interview or informally by the person you're hanging out with. Faculty at most schools do gather opinions from their grad students, so if you are acting aloof, arrogant, or unpleasant during the down-time it is not going to reflect very well upon you. Impossible as it may seem, try to seem fun and relaxed while remaining appropriately concerned and reasonably professional (i.e., try not to get plastered and do something embarassing!). There are normally a bunch of social events like parties, dinners, etc. with the grad students.

In terms of the actual interview process itself, it generally occurs over one or two days. You will have a whole bunch of meetings with various faculty members-- at most places I met for 30 or 45 minutes with nearly every clinical faculty member, so you really make the rounds and it takes all day. The interviews themselves were more laid-back than I expected. They generally asked about my previous experiences, research interests, and plans for grad school. Be prepared to ask LOTS of questions about the program! In my very first interview, the prof simply said, "What can I tell you?" and had me ask him questions for 45 minutes, which he answered, before asking me what he could tell me again! He didn't ask me a single question. That's unusual, but really-- you don't want to sit there insisting you don't have any questions about the program. Make sure you come up with something. I was not really asked any tough questions at any of my interviews. (Well, there was one, but the prof emailed me about it and told me in advance that he would ask).

I was comfortable dressed casually and inconspicuously, in a suit. Keep it simple. Wear some shoes you can walk in (that also look halfway decent)-- one program had us walk 2 miles to a prof's house for dinner on the interview day, and I was NOT happy in my cute heels! Bring at least one other semi-dressy outfit (e.g. nice pants and a dress shirt), as well as some casual clothes.

The main thing is to come across as a fun, relaxed, confident human being. At this stage, you need to get people (including faculty, grad students, and other applicants) to feel like they want to spend the next 5-6 years with you. Do not be the person obsessively discussing their GRE scores at the party! Heh heh.

Sorry this was so long-winded. It's sort of fun to reminisce. Hope it's helpful. Oh, PS-- this applies for research-oriented clinical psychology PhD programs. I'm sure things are very different in programs with a more psychoanalytic approach, or what have you.

Members don't see this ad :)
psy86 said:
I'll take a stab at this...

Most places will house you with a current grad student, which is great, because it provides you with the opportunity to gather a lot of info about the culture of the program, etc. On the other hand, for the anxious ones amongst us (speaking from experience!), it can make the whole two or three day affair feel like one long interview, because you are always being evaluated, either formally in an interview or informally by the person you're hanging out with. Faculty at most schools do gather opinions from their grad students, so if you are acting aloof, arrogant, or unpleasant during the down-time it is not going to reflect very well upon you. Impossible as it may seem, try to seem fun and relaxed while remaining appropriately concerned and reasonably professional (i.e., try not to get plastered and do something embarassing!). There are normally a bunch of social events like parties, dinners, etc. with the grad students.

In terms of the actual interview process itself, it generally occurs over one or two days. You will have a whole bunch of meetings with various faculty members-- at most places I met for 30 or 45 minutes with nearly every clinical faculty member, so you really make the rounds and it takes all day. The interviews themselves were more laid-back than I expected. They generally asked about my previous experiences, research interests, and plans for grad school. Be prepared to ask LOTS of questions about the program! In my very first interview, the prof simply said, "What can I tell you?" and had me ask him questions for 45 minutes, which he answered, before asking me what he could tell me again! He didn't ask me a single question. That's unusual, but really-- you don't want to sit there insisting you don't have any questions about the program. Make sure you come up with something. I was not really asked any tough questions at any of my interviews. (Well, there was one, but the prof emailed me about it and told me in advance that he would ask).

I was comfortable dressed casually and inconspicuously, in a suit. Keep it simple. Wear some shoes you can walk in (that also look halfway decent)-- one program had us walk 2 miles to a prof's house for dinner on the interview day, and I was NOT happy in my cute heels! Bring at least one other semi-dressy outfit (e.g. nice pants and a dress shirt), as well as some casual clothes.

The main thing is to come across as a fun, relaxed, confident human being. At this stage, you need to get people (including faculty, grad students, and other applicants) to feel like they want to spend the next 5-6 years with you. Do not be the person obsessively discussing their GRE scores at the party! Heh heh.

Sorry this was so long-winded. It's sort of fun to reminisce. Hope it's helpful. Oh, PS-- this applies for research-oriented clinical psychology PhD programs. I'm sure things are very different in programs with a more psychoanalytic approach, or what have you.

Thanks for a nice write up. I am having my interview on Feb 10th. I was told by the professor that I will be interviewed by one prfessor at a time . Since I share research interest with three of them , what should be my general approach while expressing my research interest. Please let me know your sugesstions. She also said it is nota formal interview witha pannel.

Thanks

Rxxx said:
Thanks for a nice write up. I am having my interview on Feb 10th. I was told by the professor that I will be interviewed by one prfessor at a time . Since I share research interest with three of them , what should be my general approach while expressing my research interest. Please let me know your sugesstions. She also said it is nota formal interview witha pannel.

Thanks

Does the program admit people based on a strict mentorship model? It's possible that you will arrive there and discover that they have made a decision in advance about which of the three advisors is potentially accepting you.

If that's not the case, one strategy would be to try to effectively communicate why you think you would be a good fit with each of those professors, forcing them to sit down after you leave to make a decision about whether any of them want to take you. You're going to have to think about a good explanation for why your research interests fit in with what each of them are working on, though, and why you would be equally happy in all of their labs. People may find that odd if their labs are not doing identical kinds of research.

Do you bring a notebook and pen to the interview? Do you actually take notes? Should you bring extra copies of your CV or copies of anything else?

psy86 said:
Does the program admit people based on a strict mentorship model? It's possible that you will arrive there and discover that they have made a decision in advance about which of the three advisors is potentially accepting you.

If that's not the case, one strategy would be to try to effectively communicate why you think you would be a good fit with each of those professors, forcing them to sit down after you leave to make a decision about whether any of them want to take you. You're going to have to think about a good explanation for why your research interests fit in with what each of them are working on, though, and why you would be equally happy in all of their labs. People may find that odd if their labs are not doing identical kinds of research.

They don't have a strict mentorship model. The professor told me that I will be allowed to choose my faculty. What kind of questions should I expect. I would be interacting with the graduate students also, so what kind of questions should I ask them ect.

Thank you psy86 for the great response. It has clarified the process for me and I feel better - though still nervous!

Does anybody know what the student receptions mean? i.e. how dressy are they, business clothes?

Not that I am any kind of interview guru, but I feel kind of compelled to keep the ball rolling, now that I’ve started responding… hopefully we can get some perspectives from people besides me, though (especially if they’ve had different experiences).

Anyway, UMAPsych: I did bring something to take notes. I had one of those leather-covered legal pad things that you can get at Staples or wherever. I didn’t take a whole lot of notes, but it was nice to have just in case. I brought extra copies of my CV but I never needed them. Again, I felt better knowing that I had them just in case.

Psychbird, I guess I don’t exactly know what you mean by “student reception”—that could be a lot of things. I would recommend just bringing an appropriate variety of clothes (some casual, some businessy, and your suit), and then you can ask the grad student you’re staying with what the appropriate attire would be. I don’t think anyone would find that odd; I did it all the time (e.g. am I ok in dress pants and a shirt, or should I wear my suit, etc.).

Psy86, keep it coming! I'm sure everyone will agree that this is very helpful.

I have a couple questions about interviews. For several reasons, I am only applying to one program this year. It's the only clinical psych program in my home state. What should I say if they ask me what other schools I'm applying to? I don't want to lie, but I don't want them to think that I'm not ambitious or serious about attending. Is it likely that they will ask that?

Also, on the schedule of events there is listed a dinner and then social afterwards. Next to both events it says "partners welcome." Is anybody here planning to bring their partners with to the interviews? Does it matter?

Thanks in advance!

i just went to northeastern and everyone wore suits to the interviews, no one at all was dressed casually at all period.

it was weird because the interview was so informal, so it messed with your head once you actually got to do an interview with a random faculty member at a random time during the day.

the whole event was very straight to the point, not really very social.

Does anyone have answers to the questions I posted earlier, or just general advice to help the rest of us prepare for our interviews?

Thanks...

shannysor said:
Does anyone have answers to the questions I posted earlier, or just general advice to help the rest of us prepare for our interviews?

Thanks...

i dunno they didn't ask me that, personally i think it's an inappropriate question that they have no right to ask but that's just my personal opinion.

shannysor said:

Thanks...

shanny- if you get asked this question, just be honest, and give them the reasons you had for applying to just one school. if you are a strong applicant, at least they know that you *definitely* will go if accepted, and that's not a bad thing.

I would agree with the above. Let them know that you've only applied to one school because it's your first choice and you would definitely come if accepted.

In general, try to be casual and fun with the graduate students. At my school, several current students who hosted applicants this year got to see them when they were cranky, pissy, and nervous before interviews and it did not bode well. Remember that the graduate students are going to have to work with you too for the next 4-5 years so you'll want to make a good impression on them too. So, if you think you won't feel happy, fun-loving, and enthusiatistic the night before the interviews, maybe it's not in your best interest to stay overnight with a student. If you do stay overnight with a student, offer to take them out to dinner or breakfast, and write a thank you note. Those things definitely help and are just polite to do anyway.

I would say, for the night before the interviews when there is a social event or reception it's safest to go in business casual attire. Personally, I wouldn't wear jeans or sneakers to any events, although some people may feel comfortable that way. And you should definitely wear a suit to interviews. Those who don't stick out and give off the impression that they didn't do their research on what to expect at the interview day. Treat it like a wall-street job interview in terms of attire.

good luck!