What to expect on Path Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungFP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One question we have around here is concerning calculations on the boards. Noone seems to know what we should expect. Has anybody got any idea about calculations on the board exam?:eek:
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, a calculator is provided, and yes, you should be prepared to answer a few questions that require some minor math skills. Off the top of my head, you will absolutely be required to calculate fibrinogen dosing, and determine sensitivity and specificity. Other calculations you may be required to perform could include fractional excretion as well as clearance. If you are not a numbers type of person, just study everything else really hard so that you can afford to miss a few questions because these questions probably will not go beyond five questions. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard you need to know how to calculate LDL from other data. Other stuff mentioned above. Probably some other stuff too - the clinical compendium has some calculations in it, so does the Henry review book.

Here are some of the areas which I remember using math:

1) Blood Bank - RhIg dosing, CCI, chance of finding a particular unit of blood
2) Chemistry - Creatinine clearance, LDL, Henderson-Hasselbach
3) Statistics - Sensitivity, specificity, positive & negative predictive value
4) Lab Management - General accounting

I'm sure there's probably more. Feel free to add to my list.

----- Antony

Yes, a calculator is provided, and yes, you should be prepared to answer a few questions that require some minor math skills. Off the top of my head, you will absolutely be required to calculate fibrinogen dosing, and determine sensitivity and specificity. Other calculations you may be required to perform could include fractional excretion as well as clearance. If you are not a numbers type of person, just study everything else really hard so that you can afford to miss a few questions because these questions probably will not go beyond five questions. :scared:

I am really asking what formulas we need to memorize. If this were a math exam, I would have been boarded before residency:laugh:.
Thank you for a not so smart-a** response, like djmd gave.

I hope so.

A couple of other blood bank issues include dosage (factor VIII, Cryo, FFP, Rhogam). I hate those questions, but it's hard to be angry at them since it's kind of important information to know.

I can, however, be very annoyed without prejudice about the TSI micro questions. :mad: