What to expect?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by daskool, Jul 23, 2006.

1. daskool

daskool Junior Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey all you residents. As a new Med student I just wanted to ask your oppinions on what I should do to prepare for residency in terms of LOR and PS. Is it similar to applying to Med school? CAn someone give me some insight please. Also, when you are done with MS4 and begin residency what type of background check is conducted on your behalf? Is it criminal or more intense. Any examples would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you mean that you are about to be an MS1, I recommend that you worry more about Gross Anatomy than residency applications right now. You will not be getting letters from people until you're in your 3rd and 4th years and your personal statement will be very different than the one your wrote as a med school applicant. It will also likely change as you move through med school and decide what you want to be when you grow up. I personally had 5 different PS's for different types of programs.

Good luck and enjoy the first 2 years.

BE (now PE)

3. suppertime

suppertime Junior Member

Other Health Professions Student
    yeah good luck to u, and I hope that you will succeed!!

4. ekydrd

ekydrd Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As for a background screen... if you haven't done anything your momma wouldn't be proud of then no need to worry. It usually isn't super intense unless you are going to be working in a government facility. Usually just a local background... did you get caught shop-lifting/picking your nose in public/drunk driving/speeding kinda check.

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Depends on the state. Some states do do a criminal background check on anyone working in a hospital, especially those who might have contact with children.

For New Jersey, I not only had to be fingerprinted but had to have a criminal check, particularly looking for sexual offenses and offenses against children. There was no drug test or other screens outside of the routine vaccination titres, but I would not assume that the background check is simple. Some states and institutions (ie, especially if you are going to be rotating at a VA hospital) do require drug screens.

The key is do not lie...if you have committed a felony and the application for your license asks, tell the truth. If they find out and you have lied on your application, you can be turned down for a license and have your offer for a residency position revoked. Same for misdemeanors - generally license applications only care about felonies or non-traffic related offenses. Drug and alcohol offenses count and can also be a reason to refuse to issue a license (although most states are keen to work with physicians who have this on their record, so its not an automatic).

As for the rest of the stuff, don't start worrying about LORs and PSs until 3rd year.