What to put and not put on dental school application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbschaper

Reaction score
I am currently a rising senior in the process of filling out my dental school application and am wondering if a couple things should go on my application or if I should leave them out. On the ADEA website it says to only include things you have done recently or during your collegiate career. Towards the end of high school, I led an Eagle Scout project which entailed 62 of my own personal hours on a pollinator park in my hometown. It was a pretty important experience for me in developing leadership skills and serving the community which I intend to include on my personal statement, but I am wondering if I should also include it on my volunteer experience section to bolster it. As far as awards go, there are also a couple of things I would consider pretty important that I received during high school including valedictorian and state math team champion. These are things that I would think would help my application regardless of when I did them, but if admissions really looks down on putting these older things in applications I don't want to hurt my chances. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a rising senior in the process of filling out my dental school application and am wondering if a couple things should go on my application or if I should leave them out. On the ADEA website it says to only include things you have done recently or during your collegiate career. Towards the end of high school, I led an Eagle Scout project which entailed 62 of my own personal hours on a pollinator park in my hometown. It was a pretty important experience for me in developing leadership skills and serving the community which I intend to include on my personal statement, but I am wondering if I should also include it on my volunteer experience section to bolster it. As far as awards go, there are also a couple of things I would consider pretty important that I received during high school including valedictorian and state math team champion. These are things that I would think would help my application regardless of when I did them, but if admissions really looks down on putting these older things in applications I don't want to hurt my chances. Thoughts?
Personally, I wouldn't. I consider things achieved/accomplished in high school to have already helped with getting into college, and would not include them on your application to grad school. You can discuss them in essays as you see fit, but I wouldn't add them as specific experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn't list high school experience on the "Experience" section on application, but I am sure there will be plenty of opportunity to mention it (if necessary) on supplemental app. questions.

For AADSAS: high school experiences like your Eagle Scout project can be mentioned in essays but for your activities inventory, you should itemize more recent activities post-high school. I would hope the community service principles and impact you had continue in your activities in college.