what to put into App for academic problems??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a post-bac right now and I have a "academic probation" on my transcript for one semester for undergrad and I am wondering what to put in the explanation part for AMCAS app?? As far as am I just supposed to say what the academic action was, or why it happen and what I learned from it etc???

Members don't see this ad.

I am a post-bac right now and I have a "academic probation" on my transcript for one semester for undergrad and I am wondering what to put in the explanation part for AMCAS app?? As far as am I just supposed to say what the academic action was, or why it happen and what I learned from it etc???

idk but i see, you go to UNF.

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard from some that academic probation doesn't count as academic action. As with most universities there is no action really taken. Unless your fin aid is taken away or you're kicked out of school.

I've heard from some that academic probation doesn't count as academic action. As with most universities there is no action really taken. Unless your fin aid is taken away or you're kicked out of school.

From the AMCAS instructions:

"You must answer Yes to this question if you were ever the recipient of
any institutional action resulting from unacceptable academic
performance or a conduct violation, even if such action did not
interrupt your enrollment or require you to withdraw."

I'm in the same boat as the OP in regard to accademic probation for a semster. I took this quote to mean that we have to report it.

Anyone know how to deal with this?​

From the AMCAS instructions:

"You must answer Yes to this question if you were ever the recipient of
any institutional action resulting from unacceptable academic
performance or a conduct violation, even if such action did not
interrupt your enrollment or require you to withdraw."

I'm in the same boat as the OP in regard to accademic probation for a semster. I took this quote to mean that we have to report it.

Anyone know how to deal with this?​

You just say, "I was placed on academic probation after the first/second semester of my freshman/sophomore/etc year. describe how this made you feel and what you did about it and when the probation was lifted

This goes under institutional action. Generally, as long as your overall gpa is good and you made a strong comeback (learned better time management, went into rehab, or whatever) you should be fine.

You just say, "I was placed on academic probation after the first/second semester of my freshman/sophomore/etc year. describe how this made you feel and what you did about it and when the probation was lifted

This goes under institutional action. Generally, as long as your overall gpa is good and you made a strong comeback (learned better time management, went into rehab, or whatever) you should be fine.

thanks for the advice, unfort. for me I didnt have a good undergrad GPA and the following semester after the probation I did better but not a whole lot, but i am doing well in post-bac so I hope that will count??!!

thanks for the advice, unfort. for me I didnt have a good undergrad GPA and the following semester after the probation I did better but not a whole lot, but i am doing well in post-bac so I hope that will count??!!

Well, eventually you worked hard enough to be no longer on probation or you got kicked out. Either way, you had an awakening and are now working hard. Write something that explains the situation in that section about institutional action. Basically, you want to assure the adcom that you won't flunk out or need to repeat a year of med school.

Well, eventually you worked hard enough to be no longer on probation or you got kicked out. Either way, you had an awakening and are now working hard. Write something that explains the situation in that section about institutional action. Basically, you want to assure the adcom that you won't flunk out or need to repeat a year of med school.

Thank you for your insights.