What to say ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I paid my deposit in one of the schools but now I don't want to go there anymore because I want to go to a different school. I want to email the school that I am not going to anymore telling them so, but I don't know what to say. What should I say that would be appropriate and respectable? What excuse should I give without telling them that I'll be going to a different school?

Members don't see this ad.

I would just tell them the truth in a diplomatic way. I'd tell them how wonderful their program is and that you wish them well, but that you fit in better with another program.

What should I say that would be appropriate and respectable? What excuse should I give without telling them that I'll be going to a different school?

I just did this last week. Don't make excuses and don't try to hide that you are going to another school. It's not personal, they will replace you with someone else, and they just want to know which schools are being chosen over them.

Just call and tell the admissions department that you no longer have intentions of attending their program. They will probably ask for you to submit it in writing, wish you luck wherever you are headed, and that's the end of it. Done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just did this last week. Don't make excuses and don't try to hide that you are going to another school. It's not personal, they will replace you with someone else, and they just want to know which schools are being chosen over them.

Just call and tell the admissions department that you no longer have intentions of attending their program. They will probably ask for you to submit it in writing, wish you luck wherever you are headed, and that's the end of it. Done.

I agree! Be honest, stay respectful and you'll be just fine. Don't worry. It's nothing personal. :)

Afterall, that's why they call it a deposit, not tuition.

I agree with what others have said and just be respectful and tell them the truth. Their feelings will not be hurt, they just want to know why so they can improve upon their program to retain more people in the future.

I agree. Be truthful, respectfully decline, and thank them. Don't burn bridges by hiding that you are going to another school.

Besides, it will open up a slot for one of those in waiting!

I'd just add: be absolutely 100% sure that you can and will attend the other school before you burn that bridge.

Do you mind if I ask what school you are turning down? and what school did you decide to attend?