What to study BEFORE pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aznskulgurl209

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, I've been out of school for 2 years doing volunteer work and recently got into Midwestern U Pharmacy school in Arizona.

I was wondering what types of subjects I should brush up on BEFORE I start pharmacy classes. I know I'm going to review physiology and biochem for practice, but do you guys have any advice on what to study to prepare myself?

What did you wish you had studied beforehand before going to pharmacy school?

Thanks everyone for your advices and good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

My subjects were Chemistry, Physics and Biology. Physics now such an unpopular subject that Maths or English accepted as alternatives in UK.
johnep

Nothing. You'll learn what you need to know there. It's assumed that you've forgotten some things from introductory subjects, as most people forget everything over the summer break anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One of our profs gives us crap when we don't remember stuff from anatomy and physiology (it's a pre-req). It is also assumed that we know basic things about microbiology. It was also assumed that we knew basic concepts from gen chem and o chem (some acid/vase stuff, hendersen hassalbach, functional groups, basic mechanisms like hydrolysis, etc.) Nothing too involved but if you don't know that stuff, you'll spend more time studying. The amount of "review" varies by school. We don't get much but it might be different at Midwestern.

One of our profs gives us crap when we don't remember stuff from anatomy and physiology (it's a pre-req). It is also assumed that we know basic things about microbiology. It was also assumed that we knew basic concepts from gen chem and o chem (some acid/vase stuff, hendersen hassalbach, functional groups, basic mechanisms like hydrolysis, etc.) Nothing too involved but if you don't know that stuff, you'll spend more time studying. The amount of "review" varies by school. We don't get much but it might be different at Midwestern.

That was taught to us our first week in pharmacy school. The other stuff you mentioned, it is assumed we were taught those in undergrad. Every once in a while someone will ask a question about some basic prereq topic, and our professors usually just answer the question without a fuss. Our med chem professor loves to say "you covered that in organic", but he still answers the questions. I like him, he cracks me up.

OP: If you don't know something, ask. Don't drive yourself crazy about what you don't remember.

Do professors honeslty think we remember that ****. When I walk out of the final, 95% of what I learned is gone.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

Well, I've been out of school for 2 years doing volunteer work and recently got into Midwestern U Pharmacy school in Arizona.

I was wondering what types of subjects I should brush up on BEFORE I start pharmacy classes. I know I'm going to review physiology and biochem for practice, but do you guys have any advice on what to study to prepare myself?

What did you wish you had studied beforehand before going to pharmacy school?

Thanks everyone for your advices and good luck! :luck:

Nothing, studying before pharmacy school is counterproductive if anything and quite pardon my language a silly move.

You will be sooooooo bubrned out during pharm school, maybe not the first year, but second year for sure, that you'll regret not cherishing your free time and spending it to rest.

Rest is essential, just like professional athletes need time to recover between strenous work outs, your brain will need time to relax itself after intense studies. Enjoy your last free summer before hell begins.

My subjects were Chemistry, Physics and Biology. Physics now such an unpopular subject that Maths or English accepted as alternatives in UK.
johnep

i hope there is as little physics as possible in pharmacy school...it is the devil

i guess it all depends on how you learn. orgo was a breeze for me but im taking physics now and I hate it. Although the fact that I only need to pass it might contribute to why I dont really care about doing well in it.

Nothing, studying before pharmacy school is counterproductive if anything and quite pardon my language a silly move.

You will be sooooooo bubrned out during pharm school, maybe not the first year, but second year for sure, that you'll regret not cherishing your free time and spending it to rest.

Rest is essential, just like professional athletes need time to recover between strenous work outs, your brain will need time to relax itself after intense studies. Enjoy your last free summer before hell begins.

I look forward to a long and unproductive summer before I start pharm school in the fall :laugh: