What to think of email from PD after interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vulva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Went on IM Interview and went really well....the same day PD emails and says it was a pleasure meeting me and that he sees me as a member of the upcoming resident class...and he also said that i will fit into the city very well...

What do I make of this email? Does that mean that they are really considering me or is this just a common courtesy? This is a fairly competetive program...and I dont know what to make of it...It is definately my number one choice....

Members don't see this ad.

so rank them #1 and see what happens..

If it's general in nature, then it's probably courtesy. Some of the programs I interviewed at did this. A couple sent nice handwritten notes that had something specific about the interview - that impressed me.

Don't read too much into it, but since it's your #1, I'd write back and tell them they are your #1. Be specific, tell them what you liked about them.

If it's general in nature, then it's probably courtesy. Some of the programs I interviewed at did this. A couple sent nice handwritten notes that had something specific about the interview - that impressed me.

Don't read too much into it, but since it's your #1, I'd write back and tell them they are your #1. Be specific, tell them what you liked about them.

I wouldn't do that at this point. It is still VERY early in the process, and the OP may end up seeing another program that impresses them more down the line.

If you want to rank them #1 for other reasons, go ahead, but don't let comments from a PD influence your rank list. Some PDs will say things like that to every candidate and it doesn't mean anything at all. They want to avoid the scramble as much as you do, and some will say whatever they think will help entice applicants to rank them highly.

It means little to nothing. Even if it did, you have no way of knowing so do not let this (likely form letter) email influence your rank list.

Bingo! NRMP has a blurb about this.

Go on all your interviews and rank the program IN ORDER that you want to match there uninfluenced by these e-mails or whatever post-interview communication occurs. Remember, you are not penalized for ranking reach programs high... Hal the NRMP computer takes care of the rest.

Of course if the program sends letters to everyone and they don't rank you (or rank you low), the computer is just going to go to the next on your list... so in the end, RANK THE PROGRAMS IN ORDER THAT YOU WANT TO BE THERE.

Best wishes :luck: