You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What to wear at an interview?
Started by ODisme
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Suit? Dress pants/dress shirt? Not sure😳 any suggestions?? Thanks
Imagine you are an optometrist in a professional, private setting. Then dress accordingly.
Gotta dress to impress.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i went to my interview without a suit. i think dress shirt and shoes would be sufficient. i cant imagine anyone wearing a suit to an optometry school interview in a hot and sweaty day. (-_-);
I would strongly recommend also wearing pants/skirt - I don't think shoes and a shirt will cut it. 😉
I wore a toga with a leaf crown...
I wore pants, collared shirt and a blazer. Everyone at my interview was dressed similarily...guys-suits, gals-skirt or pant suit.
I'm a guy, so I wore a suit..althought I did start sweating when I did some of the campus tours. Most of the girls/woman wore business attire as well -dress suit. I know it doesn't make a big deal but it does look professional when you dress to impress.
I would say that being over-dressed is a lot better than being under-dressed. I personally wouldn't have wanted to be the only guy at my interview not wearing a suit (and I would have been, too).
I was in your same shoes a year ago when decided what to wear for my interviews. I decided that while I obviously wanted to look professional, I didnt want to look like everyone else. I opted for a button up shirt with a sweater over it along with nice slacks as opposed to the typical "power suit" look. My decision couldn't have been that bad because I'm finishing up my first year at Pacific right now. Looking back, however, I would have gone with the suit. Standing out at an interview is good... doing it via your appearance... not so good. Spend the extra money and get the suit. You will find many opportunities to wear it again... CE, conferences, networking opportunities, etc. If you pick well, it will still be stylish in a few years, and maybe it will help you land that first job out of school!
Good luck!
PGE
Good luck!
PGE
I was in your same shoes a year ago when decided what to wear for my interviews. I decided that while I obviously wanted to look professional, I didnt want to look like everyone else. I opted for a button up shirt with a sweater over it along with nice slacks as opposed to the typical "power suit" look. My decision couldn't have been that bad because I'm finishing up my first year at Pacific right now. Looking back, however, I would have gone with the suit. Standing out at an interview is good... doing it via your appearance... not so good. Spend the extra money and get the suit. You will find many opportunities to wear it again... CE, conferences, networking opportunities, etc. If you pick well, it will still be stylish in a few years, and maybe it will help you land that first job out of school!
Good luck!
PGE
If I was on the admissions committee, I would admit any female who showed up wearing her naughty cheerleader uniform. 😉
The dudes can wear whatever they want! 😉
If I was on the admissions committee, I would admit any female who showed up wearing her naughty cheerleader uniform. 😉
The dudes can wear whatever they want! 😉

If I was on the admissions committee, I would admit any female who showed up wearing her naughty cheerleader uniform. 😉
The dudes can wear whatever they want! 😉
Wanna open a school with me when we graduate?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dood, gotta dress to impress. suit is a must. have them shoes shined too; people can tell alot about YOU by just your shoes. you may have a nice, clean pinstriped suit, but if your shoes are booty and dusty...well, it's an effort well wasted. i even took the time to hand-grind some plano lenses with AR into a versace frame so i could look the part even more.
i even took the time to hand-grind some plano lenses with AR into a versace frame so i could look the part even more.
Lovess itI wore a toga with a leaf crown...
I admire the confidence LOL
You really made me laugh!Lovess it
well, then...i'm glad someone appreciates my effort. 😉
I would say that being over-dressed is a lot better than being under-dressed. I personally wouldn't have wanted to be the only guy at my interview not wearing a suit (and I would have been, too).
I was the only one without a suit all three times and still got in. So it is possible, but if you have a suit, I'd definately wear it. I didn't have one and wasn't about to drop a couple hundred to get one just for an interview.
I didn't feel the need to wear a suit. Actually...and don't tell anybody, I drove to my interview at PCO wearing my pajama pants, a sweatshirt, and a pair of mocassins. I parked by the huge green dumpster in the far corner of the parking lot and changed into my "nice" clothes...black dress pants, lavender dress shirt, and a black microsuede sports coat. I oiled my black dress shoes the night before and got them looking purrrrrty. I looked like a stud, that's all I have to say. No tie though, I hate ties. I am not looking forward to wearing ties in the clinic. I don't know what it is, I just hate them. I can look just as professional (maybe more) with a neatly pressed dress shirt with cufflinks and no f'ing tie.
I didn't feel the need to wear a suit. Actually...and don't tell anybody, I drove to my interview at PCO wearing my pajama pants, a sweatshirt, and a pair of mocassins. I parked by the huge green dumpster in the far corner of the parking lot and changed into my "nice" clothes...black dress pants, lavender dress shirt, and a black microsuede sports coat. I oiled my black dress shoes the night before and got them looking purrrrrty. I looked like a stud, that's all I have to say. No tie though, I hate ties. I am not looking forward to wearing ties in the clinic. I don't know what it is, I just hate them. I can look just as professional (maybe more) with a neatly pressed dress shirt with cufflinks and no f'ing tie.
2 approaches:
1. You do what you think the Interview would like/expect.
2. You do whatever the heck you want (I'll respect you more on this one, but you may be taking on more risk).
Advice to males:
Dress like Flavor Flav from MTV. You would represent the hood and indicate that you plan on providing eyecare services to the underserved populations of america. The clock on your chest would let them know you were punctual and didn't want to be late for an appointment or interview - that your meant business.
😀 Either you will get an acceptace or they will call security before you interview begins
Either way...you'll make quite a lasting impression!
No interviewee ever lost out because he/she "looked too professional".
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 477
E