You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What to wear to interview?
Started by rammer
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Fashion is a very personal thing. For me, it's gonna be a Polo with a Bolo--a classic pairing that belies understated sophistication and will be sure to make an impression on the judges. I will likely pull it together with a leather jacket with corduroy elbow patches (to help conceal my nervous sweating and give it that "academic" feel). I'm still working on the pants situation. Shoes will clearly depend on the weather that day.
For you, I don't know. I would say go in a suit (as others have suggested here). But if you are stressed about the possibility of being awkwardly overdressed, just remind yourself that a suit is the easiest outfit in the world to dress down. You can always take off the jacket/loosen the tie/roll up the sleeves. Good luck!
For you, I don't know. I would say go in a suit (as others have suggested here). But if you are stressed about the possibility of being awkwardly overdressed, just remind yourself that a suit is the easiest outfit in the world to dress down. You can always take off the jacket/loosen the tie/roll up the sleeves. Good luck!
4
469738
Full suit for men. For women a pants suit or skirt suit with a collared shirt. Imagine this as a job interview. Better to be slightly overdressed than under.
A polo shirt and leather jacket is not an acceptable outfit to wear to an interview for a doctoral program. A bolo is not an acceptable tie. Maybe in Texas, I dont know. No offense, but if someone came to a corporate job interview like that you wouldn't get the job. Invest in a good suit and jacket. There are many occasions that you will wear one in life, funerals, interviews and weddings. Job interviews are not a time for fashion. You do not want to stand out as the person whom was the least underdressed. A suit can be fashionable. If it is not your style, deal with it. An interview is 1 day at the most.
A polo shirt and leather jacket is not an acceptable outfit to wear to an interview for a doctoral program. A bolo is not an acceptable tie. Maybe in Texas, I dont know. No offense, but if someone came to a corporate job interview like that you wouldn't get the job. Invest in a good suit and jacket. There are many occasions that you will wear one in life, funerals, interviews and weddings. Job interviews are not a time for fashion. You do not want to stand out as the person whom was the least underdressed. A suit can be fashionable. If it is not your style, deal with it. An interview is 1 day at the most.
Full suit for men. For women a pants suit or skirt suit with a collared shirt. Imagine this as a job interview. Better to be slightly overdressed than under.
A polo shirt and leather jacket is not an acceptable outfit to wear to an interview for a doctoral program. A bolo is not an acceptable tie. Maybe in Texas, I dont know. No offense, but if someone came to a corporate job interview like that you wouldn't get the job. Invest in a good suit and jacket. There are many occasions that you will wear one in life, funerals, interviews and weddings. Job interviews are not a time for fashion. You do not want to stand out as the person whom was the least underdressed. A suit can be fashionable. If it is not your style, deal with it. An interview is 1 day at the most.
"Like." 👍
dont be that one person who doesnt wear a suit.. you might stand out in a wrong way.
A polo shirt and leather jacket is not an acceptable outfit to wear to an interview for a doctoral program. A bolo is not an acceptable tie.
You haven't even heard about my pants yet. How can you judge? I envision something pleated for comfort, but tapered so as to not snag in my bike chain. I'll likely steer clear of geometric prints (the seams are so hard to get right!). But maybe a tasteful tie-dye.
A polo shirt and leather jacket is not an acceptable outfit to wear to an interview for a doctoral program. A bolo is not an acceptable tie. Maybe in Texas, I dont know. No offense, but if someone came to a corporate job interview like that you wouldn't get the job. Invest in a good suit and jacket. There are many occasions that you will wear one in life, funerals, interviews and weddings. Job interviews are not a time for fashion. You do not want to stand out as the person whom was the least underdressed. A suit can be fashionable. If it is not your style, deal with it. An interview is 1 day at the most.
Pretty sure he was joking lol....it was too ridiculous to be serious. If he was serious, he's gunna get plenty of these:
throughout the dayPretty sure he was joking lol....it was too ridiculous to be serious. If he was serious, he's gunna get plenty of these:![]()
![]()
throughout the day
nicolej5,
I respect your wise counsel. I'll go with plan B: a single-breasted, two-button, notched lapel, charcoal grey + traditional pinstripe, flat-front, no cuff suit with plain white shirt and cobalt blue mid-width tie in a half windsor and plain black leather loafers.
My girlfriend and I watch too much project runway.
I'm pretty sure he was being serious! 😀 











Fashion is a very personal thing. For me, it's gonna be a Polo with a Bolo--a classic pairing that belies understated sophistication and will be sure to make an impression on the judges.
OkraMango: You wanna know the weird thing? I've been joking about polos with bolos since at least mid-2009. I thought I was clever and original, but then now I discover that I'm not. I appreciate the reminder.
I'm pretty sure he was being serious! 😀![]()
JD2Pi: Settle down now...I'll switch to Jim Beam in a heart beat. This is serious stuff...
NicoleJohnny5: Thank you for noticing that I'm being ridiculous on purpose and not as some sad accident. You have restored my faith in the internet.
Internet: I am sorry if I have offended you. I respect your capricious fury.
So what do we do if it's supposed to be really cold when we're going to our interview? I'm talking high of 32... Is it okay to wear a heavier jacket or a pea coat over your suit?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yea any jacket is fine. nobody is really there to judge you based on your outfit. just dont dress street casual and you will be fine. I went to my interviews with a dress shirt, dress pants, and black dress shoes. I've never really worn a suit before besides for proms, so I felt more comfortable with a nice dress shirt.
OkraMango: You wanna know the weird thing? I've been joking about polos with bolos since at least mid-2009. I thought I was clever and original, but then now I discover that I'm not. I appreciate the reminder.
JD2Pi: Settle down now...I'll switch to Jim Beam in a heart beat. This is serious stuff...
NicoleJohnny5: Thank you for noticing that I'm being ridiculous on purpose and not as some sad accident. You have restored my faith in the internet.
Internet: I am sorry if I have offended you. I respect your capricious fury.
This entire exchange just restored my faith in both undergrads and the Internet. I love you guys.