What to wear to interviews at clinics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DVMorBust

UW SVM Class of 2013
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, all of my experience working with veterinarians has been with vets that I already know...either my dog's vet, my horse's vet, or acquaintances that they introduce me to. Now, however, I am going to be going in to talk to a couple different vets I've never met about various volunteering, part time job, and/or shadowing, and I'm not sure what to wear.

This wasn't an issue with vets that I knew, because before I worked with them, they'd seen me, and setting things up was very casual (usually brought up while seeing them for another reason).

So what should I wear? Normally, one dresses up for interviews. But I was wondering if I'll be asked to do anything, and if so, if showing up in my 'interview clothes' would make them have a 'hah! She has no IDEA how messy this job can get!' reaction.

Help?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...good question. I guess I'd be tempted to wear something nice, but not too nice (i.e. no suit) in case you are asked to do something. Maybe khakis and a nice shirt? Def. don't how up wearing shorts and flip flops though!!

khakis, a polo shirt and sturdy shoes (dansko's for example) ought to do you. That worked for me at 3 different clinics (both equine and SA). It's professional enough, but also not unrealistic for actually working for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
yup khakis and a polo / nice shirt is usually the way to go when u are unsure. :) casual but professional lol

some don'ts:

my veterinarian didn't hire an assistant because she was chewing gum during the interview.

another prof. at western didn't hire a girl because she had large hoop earrings on during the interview. keep jewelry to a minimum (shows that you've worked with animals and know standard safety procedure).

Business casual. You want to look like you are taking the interview seriously but you don't want to give the impression that you'd have a problem with handling grossness. I agree that khakis and a polo or button-down shirt would be appropriate. A tie is probably not necessary. For a woman, khakis or a simple skirt with a button down shirt and closed toe shoes would be appropriate.

Also, wear business casual attire if you drop off a resume in person. First impressions do matter and often the receptionist is also the office manager and has some say in hiring.

I would say business casual...khakis and a nice sweater/button down shirt. We have had several people come in wearing old jeans and a t-shirt for an interview...the hospital manager dismissed them immediately without an interview because they did not look professional or like they took the job seriously. We schedule "working interviews" before hiring someone, so you can show your stuff while wearing scrubs, not your nice interview clothes :laugh: