What to wear to interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaraL124

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first interview tomorrow afternoon at Temple University. I was planning to wear a black suit, but someone else told me not to look so "professional" and that I'd look too much like a banker in a suit. She suggested a sweater set and a skirt?

I'm inclined to go with the suit, but what do you all think?

thanks,
Sara

Members don't see this ad.

SaraL124 said:
I have my first interview tomorrow afternoon at Temple University. I was planning to wear a black suit, but someone else told me not to look so "professional" and that I'd look too much like a banker in a suit. She suggested a sweater set and a skirt?

I'm inclined to go with the suit, but what do you all think?

thanks,
Sara

I had the same concern, but the woman I work for (a clinical psychologist) sat down all her mentees and told us to wear either a black or blue suit. There might be others dressed there, less formally, but she said that you want to present the image of a "junior professional". She had a lot of thoughts on this topic, but definitely some sort of dark business suit. Hope this helps!

sunny :thumbup:

sunny22 said:
I had the same concern, but the woman I work for (a clinical psychologist) sat down all her mentees and told us to wear either a black or blue suit. There might be others dressed there, less formally, but she said that you want to present the image of a "junior professional". She had a lot of thoughts on this topic, but definitely some sort of dark business suit. Hope this helps!

sunny :thumbup:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with the professional look. You may stand out but in a good way.....Good Luck :)

So, I wore a black suit and it was totally appropriate. Everyone else was dressed the same. I'm definitely going the suit route for my other interviews too!