What to wear to interviews

Started by SaraL124
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SaraL124

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have my first interview tomorrow afternoon at Temple University. I was planning to wear a black suit, but someone else told me not to look so "professional" and that I'd look too much like a banker in a suit. She suggested a sweater set and a skirt?

I'm inclined to go with the suit, but what do you all think?


thanks,
Sara
 
SaraL124 said:
I have my first interview tomorrow afternoon at Temple University. I was planning to wear a black suit, but someone else told me not to look so "professional" and that I'd look too much like a banker in a suit. She suggested a sweater set and a skirt?

I'm inclined to go with the suit, but what do you all think?


thanks,
Sara

I had the same concern, but the woman I work for (a clinical psychologist) sat down all her mentees and told us to wear either a black or blue suit. There might be others dressed there, less formally, but she said that you want to present the image of a "junior professional". She had a lot of thoughts on this topic, but definitely some sort of dark business suit. Hope this helps!

sunny 👍
 
sunny22 said:
I had the same concern, but the woman I work for (a clinical psychologist) sat down all her mentees and told us to wear either a black or blue suit. There might be others dressed there, less formally, but she said that you want to present the image of a "junior professional". She had a lot of thoughts on this topic, but definitely some sort of dark business suit. Hope this helps!

sunny 👍

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Go with the professional look. You may stand out but in a good way.....Good Luck 🙂
 
So, I wore a black suit and it was totally appropriate. Everyone else was dressed the same. I'm definitely going the suit route for my other interviews too!