What to Wear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

topdent1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a ridiculous question, so i'll take the heat for it.

I am meeting with the asst. dean of a school tomorrow to go over application, ask questions, etc. This is strictly informal but am still wondering whether i should dress casually or not. I want to make a good impression but at the same time not dress like a hobo. What do guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely sweat pants and a hoodie. The more stains the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, since you didn't specify your gender, I am just going to assume you're a male since I am a male.

I'd say you'd be fine with business casual dress... Wearing a tie wouldn't hurt, but I would also not consider it a requirement. At the end of the day, the dress requirement is "would you want your dentist to look like this?"

get one of those blue suits jim carry wore in dumb and dumber. classic

i don't think you need to dress up fancy, you said yourself it's informal...a simple polo and dress pants will do.

i don't think you need to dress up fancy, you said yourself it's informal...a simple polo and dress pants will do.
tucked in:D

(sorry, a lot of my school is "greek", so i read ^^^^ and the first thing i think of is your typical "frat boy fashion" --> kacki's, sperrys, crokies(sp?), and a polo untucked) haha.

I'd wear slacks and a button-up shirt. A tie is optional but you should definitely look at what the school's students wear. Pacific, for example, requires male students to wear a tie, in which case you better as heck wear one too...

I'm admittedly Old School, but i suggest a tie and and suit, at a minimum sports coat and tie. Better to be over-dressed than under-dressed.

NO ONE is impressed by a slob.

This is a ridiculous question, so i'll take the heat for it.

I am meeting with the asst. dean of a school tomorrow to go over application, ask questions, etc. This is strictly informal but am still wondering whether i should dress casually or not. I want to make a good impression but at the same time not dress like a hobo. What do guys think?

Wear a prom dress

Remember, this is your first impression with them. I disagree with the polo and slacks. IMO I'd at least go with business casual, but lean more towards wearing a tie and jacket...especially if the school has a strict dress code for their students as is.

on second thought...prom dress gets my vote.

Gray Dress Pants.
Black Socks.
Black Dress Shoes.
White Shirt.
A little lighter than Navy Blue tie.

...And a black belt.

Members don't see this ad :)
personally I'd wear a suit or at least a sport coat....

its always better to be overdressed.

Slacks, and collared buttoned shirt. You don't have to dress as formally as in an official visit.

i went with a crisp blue shirt with black dress pants and no tie. It was funny because when i was waiting at the office for the dean to call me in, this D1 student comes up to me and asks me whether I'm interviewing today. I'm like noooo....why do you say so? She said that i was all dressed up and stuff..I told her i was just there to ask some questions, and then she looked at me funny...so moral of story, no need to be a fancy person until interview time comes along.

slacks with button up shirt, tucked in. definitely no tie. this is not an interview, and you are not a salesman. he might appreciate the tie, but i'd feel out of place if its just an informal meeting.

Business casual I feel. I wouldn't wear a tie. Just look neat and clean.

Slim fit j.crew khakis and a fitted brooks brothers wrinkle free shirt. Sport that with a bow tie and you're good to go. Don't forget the cole haan kicks.

jb!:)

Dress to impress. Business casual should be fine... a tie is okay.