What tools help improve RC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

topher67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I took a Kaplan practice test yesterday and my scores were.....
Bio 19
GC 21
OC 19
PAT 28 - I only missed two :)
RC 17 :(
QR 22

A little back ground info, I studied for the DAT last summer for 6 weeks and decided I was not ready to take the test. So now I am studying over the Christmas break to prepare for my test on January 21st 2014. I have taken several Kaplan test and my reading scores are constantly around a 17/18. Now from taking Analytical chem, Bio chem, and Spanish last semester my reading speed has dramatically improved. I finished the science section with 34.23 min left, Pat with 22.16 min left, and RC with 8 min left. So my timing is not an issue.

I have all the Kaplan materials books/online, DAT destroyer, Top score Pro test, Chad videos, and Cilff Bio notes. What did tools did you all use to improve your reading accuracy?

Also I feel like Top score Pro test are more difficult than Kaplan tests. Which test is more similar to the real DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you tried DATBootcamp? I felt every single thing in those practice exams were representative.

I personally had taken my DAT before RC practice was up, but I think since I had such a great experience with the Chems, Bio, and Math, RC would be good too!

If timing wasn't an issue, you're definitely on the right track! Barron dat prep book has a lot of passages, try timing yourself when you practice them, if you have time go over all the passages. The more you practice the better you will get and you'll figure out quickly of your strong points and your own way of acing the RC, some ppl read the entire passage before looking at the questions, some read questions first, best of luck!

I would use Bootcamp and Qvault. I even used Crack for more but they are not too representative b/c they articles have too many paragraphs. I didn't even use my Topscore. It seemed really old and outdated. Use Crack to get familiar then use Qvault and Bootcamp. I did 1 test per day for 2 weeks in a row. Got a 19 first round, 3 months later I went up 5 points. Just practice and find the right style for you. If Search and Destroy doesnt work for you, then move on to the Kaplan method of writing keywords for each paragraph, some people read the whole thing then jump to the questions, some read the questions and jump to the paragraphs. Test each one twice and choose the right style that suits you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you're doing a Kaplan course, or at least you have access to the course materials. I took Kaplan (along with many other recommended DAT materials from SDN) and did their practice pre-test, midterm, and final. My reading scores on Kaplan were always on the average side, but on the real thing I did really well. It's just how Kaplan skews their tests, in my opinion.

But advice wise. I would mark the ones you're not 110% certain on, then go back to them in those extra minutes since your timing is so good. Good luck!

For RC, just read articles from Scientific American, Wall street journal kr Huffington post. Look up ords you do not know.

Find a strategy for RC that's fast and accurate. I read the questions first, then scanned the reading until I saw an answer then answered the Q. I thought Achiever was great practice for RC as the question types were similar, Achiever of course, was a bit tougher than the real deal. Also going to second DAT Bootcamp, that's great practice and closest to the real DAT across the board (IDK if they have PAT now, did not when I took). Good luck

Great advice! I read the question first, maybe 3-4 and then go scan the passage. I have a pretty good memory on what passages contained what information to go back for future questions. My main problem is when they are being word tricky and "what would the author agree most with/what is the best representation sentence of the passage. I cant read the passages first b/c it take me 8-10 min only leaving me with 10 min to answer questions. I am averaging about 30-45 seconds a question except for the ones that give me trouble like mentioned before, these are taking me 1-2 min. I guess I kind of use the kaplan method with out writing things down. Spend to much precious time writing. lol

This is off topic to RC, but do you all have any advice on angle ranking? Kaplan's PATs I feel are very easy, especially after taking a top score pro. Top score pro angles are so close it is hard to differentiate between them sometimes.