What type of lab methods are used in pharmacy school?

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
  1. Pharmacist
    Will there be any PCR? Immunoblotting? Any various chromatography methods? I'm taking Quantitative Biological Methods right now and it's really starting to get interesting... it'd be :cool: if some of what I'm learning in this class will be used in any of my future pharmacy classes.

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jan 10, 2003
    Woodinville, Washington
    1. Pharmacist
      ethyl said:
      Will there be any PCR? Immunoblotting? Any various chromatography methods? I'm taking Quantitative Biological Methods right now and it's really starting to get interesting... it'd be :cool: if some of what I'm learning in this class will be used in any of my future pharmacy classes.

You have to know all of that, but I haven't done any of it in pharmacy school. Take labs along with genetics and bioichemistry in undergrad and you'll get some hands on experience. It's helped me in pharmacy school. It's easier to memorize a technique when you've done it.

jemc2000

SDN Angel
      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Dec 13, 2003
      Lakeland, FL
        dgroulx said:
        You have to know all of that, but I haven't done any of it in pharmacy school. Take labs along with genetics and bioichemistry in undergrad and you'll get some hands on experience. It's helped me in pharmacy school. It's easier to memorize a technique when you've done it.

Did the Biochem lab really help? I'm debating about taking it at USF. I have heard that as extremely difficult as Biochem is there, that the lab is worse.

About the Ads

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jan 10, 2003
        Woodinville, Washington
        1. Pharmacist
          jemc2000 said:
          Did the Biochem lab really help? I'm debating about taking it at USF. I have heard that as extremely difficult as Biochem is there, that the lab is worse.

Biochem is hard and the lab is hard. I spent many hours in the lab isolating enzymes from tissue. But, I'm a hands-on person. I understand the concept better if I see what is happening. If you don't have the time to put into it, then don't take it. I do recommend genetics lab, though. It's not as time consuming. You can fit all your work into the lab period assigned to you, unlike biochem.

Trancelucent1

Gator Girl :)
          7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Jan 26, 2004
          Orlando, FL
          1. Pharmacist
            jemc2000 said:
            Not many people passed that lab with more than a C. Biochem at USF is awful b/c the professor is awful (Dr. Grossman, if he's still there). Then if you go to UF, the biochem professor is awful (Dr. Sullivan). Luckily we only have him 1 semester.

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
            10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Jan 10, 2003
            Woodinville, Washington
            1. Pharmacist
              Trancelucent1 said:
              Not many people passed that lab with more than a C. Biochem at USF is awful b/c the professor is awful (Dr. Grossman, if he's still there). Then if you go to UF, the biochem professor is awful (Dr. Sullivan). Luckily we only have him 1 semester.

Dr. Sullivan must bring in $$$$ for research, because he definately can't teach.

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
              10+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Jan 10, 2003
              Woodinville, Washington
              1. Pharmacist
                Stephie said:
                What kind of labs do you do in pharmacy school? Is it more like OChem or is it compounding, etc.?

My labs are hands-on experiences. We take our blood sugar, inject ourselves with insulin (we use sterile water for injection), try nicotine gum, test our INR, use inhalers, etc. Next semester, I'll do some compounding.

Stephie

10+ Year Member
                7+ Year Member
                Jul 2, 2004
                California
                  dgroulx said:
                  My labs are hands-on experiences. We take our blood sugar, inject ourselves with insulin (we use sterile water for injection), try nicotine gum, test our INR, use inhalers, etc. Next semester, I'll do some compounding.

Do you have to receive/give injections at most pharmacy schools? I hate needles so much!!!

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
                  10+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Jan 10, 2003
                  Woodinville, Washington
                  1. Pharmacist
                    Stephie said:
                    Do you have to receive/give injections at most pharmacy schools? I hate needles so much!!!

Florida pharmacists are not allowed to immunize, but we have to learn to inject anyway. It will be passed someday. For the insulin, they want us to be able to relate to patients what they experience every day. It doesn't hurt at all.

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.