ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
Will there be any PCR? Immunoblotting? Any various chromatography methods? I'm taking Quantitative Biological Methods right now and it's really starting to get interesting... it'd be :cool: if some of what I'm learning in this class will be used in any of my future pharmacy classes.

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
ethyl said:
Will there be any PCR? Immunoblotting? Any various chromatography methods? I'm taking Quantitative Biological Methods right now and it's really starting to get interesting... it'd be :cool: if some of what I'm learning in this class will be used in any of my future pharmacy classes.
You have to know all of that, but I haven't done any of it in pharmacy school. Take labs along with genetics and bioichemistry in undergrad and you'll get some hands on experience. It's helped me in pharmacy school. It's easier to memorize a technique when you've done it.

jemc2000

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2003
Lakeland, FL
Visit site
Status
dgroulx said:
You have to know all of that, but I haven't done any of it in pharmacy school. Take labs along with genetics and bioichemistry in undergrad and you'll get some hands on experience. It's helped me in pharmacy school. It's easier to memorize a technique when you've done it.
Did the Biochem lab really help? I'm debating about taking it at USF. I have heard that as extremely difficult as Biochem is there, that the lab is worse.

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
jemc2000 said:
Did the Biochem lab really help? I'm debating about taking it at USF. I have heard that as extremely difficult as Biochem is there, that the lab is worse.
Biochem is hard and the lab is hard. I spent many hours in the lab isolating enzymes from tissue. But, I'm a hands-on person. I understand the concept better if I see what is happening. If you don't have the time to put into it, then don't take it. I do recommend genetics lab, though. It's not as time consuming. You can fit all your work into the lab period assigned to you, unlike biochem.

Trancelucent1

Gator Girl :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
Orlando, FL
Visit site
Status
Pharmacist
jemc2000 said:
Not many people passed that lab with more than a C. Biochem at USF is awful b/c the professor is awful (Dr. Grossman, if he's still there). Then if you go to UF, the biochem professor is awful (Dr. Sullivan). Luckily we only have him 1 semester.

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
Trancelucent1 said:
Not many people passed that lab with more than a C. Biochem at USF is awful b/c the professor is awful (Dr. Grossman, if he's still there). Then if you go to UF, the biochem professor is awful (Dr. Sullivan). Luckily we only have him 1 semester.
Dr. Sullivan must bring in $$$$ for research, because he definately can't teach.

Stephie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2004
California
Status
What kind of labs do you do in pharmacy school? Is it more like OChem or is it compounding, etc.?

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
Stephie said:
What kind of labs do you do in pharmacy school? Is it more like OChem or is it compounding, etc.?
My labs are hands-on experiences. We take our blood sugar, inject ourselves with insulin (we use sterile water for injection), try nicotine gum, test our INR, use inhalers, etc. Next semester, I'll do some compounding.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
The lab at my school is reserved for all the crap we need to know that doesn't fit into a formal class. That and giant group case studies that make your brain hurt. Oh, and compounding.

Stephie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2004
California
Status
dgroulx said:
My labs are hands-on experiences. We take our blood sugar, inject ourselves with insulin (we use sterile water for injection), try nicotine gum, test our INR, use inhalers, etc. Next semester, I'll do some compounding.
Do you have to receive/give injections at most pharmacy schools? I hate needles so much!!!

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
Stephie said:
Do you have to receive/give injections at most pharmacy schools? I hate needles so much!!!
Florida pharmacists are not allowed to immunize, but we have to learn to inject anyway. It will be passed someday. For the insulin, they want us to be able to relate to patients what they experience every day. It doesn't hurt at all.