What type of research are you doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EclecticMind

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This new forum is a great idea. I've been thinking a lot lately about involving myself in some type of research... but I want it to be an area that I'm genuinely interested in, and not just something I'm doing to promote my CV. I'd be interested in seeing just what different types of research others are involved in.

Members don't see this ad.

The short version:

Short term in vitro regulation of HSP-70 expression by cortisol in various goldfish (Carassius auratus) tissues.

This is part of my masters research, it combines both organismal stress with cellular stress. It may sound boring but it has alot of environmental implications. Hopefully it can be used as a tool for diagnosing stressed aquatic habitats quicker

Done a couple different types.

I've definitely found the experience to be far more rewarding when the topic area is of personal interest (I suppose that's obvious).

Most recently I've done research in health policy. Looking at a couple different things, but especially looking at barriers between policy research and decision making (ie. why don't policy makers use policy research).

I'm in general interested in looking at the envrionment and systems within which medicine is practised.

Any other health policy geeks out there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Aero/Astro Engineering and Human Factors of space flight (physiologic countermeasures to 0-g bone loss specifically). I agree, its much more worthwhile if you really enjoy the subject matter.

HamOn

I have 2 research projects currently on the go

1) The utility of needle thoracotomy in the pre hospital setting in relation to positive patient indicators.

2) The efficacy of pre hospital 12 lead EKG and ability to interpret as well as utilize the interpretation for faster door to cath times.

Neither have anything to do with my CV but areas where i am very interested in.

fMRI: effective connectivity analysis of learning

I previously did research on a home PSA test.

Then, Cholesterol Metabolism specifically on the genes ABCa1 and ABCg5g8.

Then, I worked on the Herpes vaccine Trial.

Now, I am involved in a hammer-toe surgical fixation review.

Just a little diverse. :eek:

Then: Cardiovascular physiology research as it relates to the avian lung
Survival outcomes for varying therapy modalities for gliomas
fMRI as a neurosurgical planning tool

Now: fMRI as it relates to prefrontal functioning/connectivity in schizophrenics, along with some calibration type technical research of scan types across magnet strength in MRI. Diffusion tensor imaging across field strength and in schizophrenics.

Right now I'm establishing and researching the effectiveness of a smoking cessation program in the veteran population.

Before that I studied methods of increasing minority participation in research, and whether community-based health education sites can be effectively used as specimen/data-collection sites.

Before that I helped a grad student with her dissertation study on the development of implicit versus explicit memory (psych study).

All are/were very interesting. :)

Finishing up a clinical epi project in critical care.

Pronostic factors (p53, tenascin, Ki67, etc) for response and survival in gliomas (rat models).

Funny, I was thinking about getting more involved with research and maybe even getting a MD/Msc in something neurology/neurosurgery related when I noticed this forum. :luck:

Blake said:
Pronostic factors (p53, tenascin, Ki67, etc) for response and survival in gliomas (rat models).

Funny, I was thinking about getting more involved with research and maybe even getting a MD/Msc in something neurology/neurosurgery related when I noticed this forum. :luck:

I've just completed a couple of retrospective studies looking at high grade glioma and the effect of radiotherapy wait / ethnicity /other stuff (still writing up the papers)

My next project will probably involve some more retrospective work, this time on skull base fractures. I wanted to do a basic science project but my supervisor doesn't think I could get a paper out of basic science research in a 2-3 month time frame (while also being 'full time' clinical duties as a final year med student).

After that if I'm still interested I might do a PhD on some aspect of tissue engineering but that would be a couple of years away.

Currently working on a few forensic case reviews and some issues involved in high altitude medicine. The research I had been doing on health psychology fell through. I'm also working on an article discussing the ethical aspects of termination of attempted field resusciation of cardiac arrest victims by paramedics.

Purifyer said:
I've just completed a couple of retrospective studies looking at high grade glioma and the effect of radiotherapy wait / ethnicity /other stuff (still writing up the papers)

My next project will probably involve some more retrospective work, this time on skull base fractures. I wanted to do a basic science project but my supervisor doesn't think I could get a paper out of basic science research in a 2-3 month time frame (while also being 'full time' clinical duties as a final year med student).

After that if I'm still interested I might do a PhD on some aspect of tissue engineering but that would be a couple of years away.
What about skull base fractures interests you? I have a major interest in trauma and I'm always eager to discuss various aspects of it. PM me if you like.

Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson's disease and dystonia.
Effects of music on Parkinson's disease motor signs.

If you're going to the World Parkinson Congress or American Academy of Neurology, let me know.

modisrules said:
Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson's disease and dystonia.
Effects of music on Parkinson's disease motor signs.

If you're going to the World Parkinson Congress or American Academy of Neurology, let me know.

I do age-related research and am interested in geriatrics. My last 2 funded projects were related to Med students perspective on Geriatrics and at-risk drinking patterns in older persons.

Case study of a rare Movement disorder

FasL Effects on CD4+CD25+ Treg Cells

submitting to nature immuno and research grant proposal