What type of Salary can you get in Family Medicine if Willing to work in Small town???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olivarynucleus

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see post all the time about IM hospitalist getting offered 250k, straight out of residency, What about in FM? From my understanding underserved areas pay more, I grew up in a rural small town and I have no problem living in that type of environment. I actually kinda hate urban settings. One thing that everyone worries about with FM is NPs encroachment, what can FM doctors do that they can't? I just worry that the people who pay doctors will decide that one day, that extra education with the same product doesn't justify twice as much pay. IM hospitalist work seems to be protected from nurses because they aren't smart enough to handle complex cases.

Members don't see this ad.

I see post all the time about IM hospitalist getting offered 250k, straight out of residency, What about in FM? From my understanding underserved areas pay more, I grew up in a rural small town and I have no problem living in that type of environment. I actually kinda hate urban settings. One thing that everyone worries about with FM is NPs encroachment, what can FM doctors do that they can't? I just worry that the people who pay doctors will decide that one day, that extra education with the same product doesn't justify twice as much pay. IM hospitalist work seems to be protected from nurses because they aren't smart enough to handle complex cases.

Wow.

Reactions: 3 users
You don't have to worry about job offers. I've received 27 recruitment emails over the past two weeks. I got an "email blast" yesterday of 4 opportunities within 60 seconds. Do what you want to do. There will be work.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I get 10-15 job offers A DAY on my email and at least 4 calls a month from recruiters. There is NO SHORTAGE of FM jobs

Reactions: 1 users
The recruiting emails I get usually are in the low 200s, at least once a week over 300. Those are both higher than the average starting salary, but these are all emails from places having to work slightly harder to fill their spots, so they offer more.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow – my wife has been offered a job with a Base salary of $150M (plus productivity and quality bonuses) with a 36 hr work week and with no call schedule. In a very small town of around 10K

The recruiting emails I get usually are in the low 200s, at least once a week over 300. Those are both higher than the average starting salary, but these are all emails from places having to work slightly harder to fill their spots, so they offer more.
Over 300k for FM... Starting? Get outta here.

What areas are we talking about for these golden geese?

Wow – my wife has been offered a job with a Base salary of $150M (plus productivity and quality bonuses) with a 36 hr work week and with no call schedule. In a very small town of around 10K
After taxes that's dirt if you're saddled with a lot of loan debt. Sounds pretty cush though if you can swing it.

Run, don't walk. That is offensive. Town that small should be about 200+K or more.

Reactions: 5 users
Many don't tell you the numbers until you talk with them. Like this one from yesterday:

Hi Doctor,
If interested, please send me a copy of your CV!

If this location isn't right for you, please let me know in which cities/states you are looking and I will send you a list of openings in your locations of interest.

Family Medicine opening in Morton, WA
60 miles to Tacoma, WA
80 miles to Seattle, WA

Full time, permanent position
Hospital owned rural healthcare clinics
General Hospital is a 25-bed Critical Access Hospital
Hospital is an equal-opportunity employer, offers competitive compensation and excellent benefits for our employees.

Welcome to Morton! Nestled in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains, Morton offers a rural lifestyle in a relaxed setting. Peaceful days at the river and catching coffee in town with friends characterize the friendly, hometown feel of Morton. The city is noted for its scenic setting, mild climate, year-round recreation opportunities and close proximity to Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens.

Morton is located in the geographic center of Lewis County, Washington, 32 miles east of I-5 on US Hwy 12 on the White Pass Scenic Byway. Three major highways, The National Park Highway SR 7, State Route 508 and US Hwy 12 intersect at Morton.

Mark Mathis
Archway Physician Recruitment
Phone: (314) 283-1083
Fax: (888) 287-3187

5939 Nagel Ave
St. Louis, MO 63109

Members don't see this ad :)
$200 +K for a base salary? Maybe in certain states but she hasn't seen anywhere close to that in NC
Yes, absolutely. If anything your base should not be lower than 180K for a town that size. You THE POWER to negotiate. There are more FP jobs out there than doctors to fill them. You are the HOT COMMODITY. ALL NUMBERS ARE NEGOTIABLE. You will never start at a higher rate unless you ask. Walk away from the 150K.

Reactions: 2 users

Best job I ever took was ER and clinic that was 425K. However, the job fell through becauase of internal corruption, EMTALA violations, Medicare violations, and the boss fleeing the country to escape the FBI.

Reactions: 7 users
This just came across today in my email

Outpatient Only in Central North Carolina: Two Options
Learn More
Randolph Hospital recognizes its good fortune to exist in a place of such exceptional balance, offering a rewarding career and a natural pace of life. Our outpatient only opportunities offer you the flexibility of living in Asheboro, or neighboring communities, such as Greensboro, only 30 minutes away. Both opportunities offer competitive compensation including full benefits, relocation, signing bonus, and education loan repayment.
  • Home of the NC Zoo
  • Places to hike, bike, boat, golf and many other family activities
  • Central to Greensboro, Raleigh, Charlotte, the mountains and coast
GetInline.aspx

Randolph Medical Associates (RMA) Randleman Family Practice
FEATURES
o Enjoy the security of hospital employment with autonomy
o Located on I-74 Randleman is between Asheboro and Greensboro
o Join a team of an experienced PA and NP
o RMA employs 32 providers
o RMA has its own board of directors, of which physicians are a part
GetInline.aspx

Cox Family Practice
FEATURES
o Private practice: employed or partnership tract
o Located in Asheboro, a city of 25,000, serving a county of 150,000
o Join a team of one physician and three PAs recruiting due to growth
o Patients and staff are treated like family
o Work-life balance is a priority
o Low turnover
CONTACT INFORMATION
Name: Cindy Leonard, Physician Services Manager
Phone: (336) 633-7777
Mobile: (336) 736-6382
Email: [email protected]
GetInline.aspx

Find additional information at www.randolphhospital.org

Texas, Nevada, Alaska, Iowa
I second all of those spots. Arkansas seems to be a big one too.

And if you got to a program where you get enough inpatient training to do hospitalist work, that dramatically increases your options as well.

$200 +K for a base salary? Maybe in certain states but she hasn't seen anywhere close to that in NC
Good Day. My name is Donald Evans, a recruiter with 20 years of experience working exclusively with physicians. My firm, Pacific Companies is a full service retained search firm representing opportunities nationwide. I am reaching to you today to see if you might be quietly exploring new opportunities. Listed below is an example of the opportunities I and my firm represent:

Family Medicine
" 100% Outpatient Practice in a group setting with Partnership after year one
18 ppd= $260,000 17 ppd w/ OB=$280,000
" Top earner in 2014 averaged 23 ppd and earned $350,000+
" Tiered RVU's to $46/ Preventative Med & Level 4 Patients = 1.5 - 2.0 RVU's
" All physicians support your arrival / 4 Clinic locations to choose from
" 4 or 4.5 day work week; Clinic hours Monday-Friday8 am-5 pm & no Call
" All physicians have tablet computers / dedicated LPN or CMA
" Option for evening clinic hours

Urgent Care
" Urgent Care Hours: M-F 8am-8 pm; Sat 8 am-5 pm; Sun 11 am-5 pm
" Rotating schedule: 3 weeks of three 12-hour shifts; 1 week of two 12-hour shifts + weekend
" Be "home-based" at one of two Urgent Care Clinics
" Department is staffed with 5 Physicians & 9 Advanced Practice Providers

Group Highlights
" Rated 11th as 150 TOP WORKPLACES in the state=happy & productive workforce
" Market-based starting guarantee then RVU production pay-plan
" 30 days Vacation + 5 days CME & 6 Holidays
" Annual 401(k) profit-sharing 8-11%
" Partnership buy-in is only $3,600
" 140 Providers / 10 locations with 60% of local market share!
" Full sub-specialty support - GI & Ped's GI, Cardiology, Urology, Surgery, etc.
" RN Care-coordinators support communication among physicians & patients
" Physician-owned, on-site Lab & Imaging Departments / PACS / 128-slice CT
" Ancillary revenue streams (enhances profit-sharing) ASC, Imaging, Sleep Center, Dialysis
" New $10M Children's Health Center / Partnership with a Pediatric Specialty Hospital
" System-wide fully integrated Allscripts EMR
" Local 270 bed, Level III, non-profit hospital w/ Adult & Pediatric Hospitalists
" Strong Nurse Practitioner & BSN programs at local universities, colleges
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would you have any interest in an urgent care position in Western Arkansas?

• 14-16 shifts per month (flexible to meet your schedule)
  • $100/hour plus bonus incentives (benefits include health, dental, vision, 401K, 403B retirement, paid vacation and CME, occurrence based malpractice and paid relocation.
  • Most doctors are making $270,000+/annually depending on volumes they see (eligible for up to another 20% in bonuses)
  • Patient age ranges from one year old and up
  • Clinic has EMR with lab and radiology on-site
  • Mid-sized town of 100,000 population (named #1 city for lowest cost of living in the USA by Kiplinger)
  • New Osteopathic Medical School opening in the area in 2017 (faculty option)
  • Area is home to many national and international manufacturing companies
  • Hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, state's oldest symphony and much more
  • Able to process J-1 visa candidates if you can sign and have your application ready byOctober 1st, 2015 (will be a flex waiver)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Hospitalist practice opening in Southern Delaware to share with you.

Hospitalist

• 7 on/7off schedule
  • Night shift will be required 1 out of every 6 weeks
  • Hospital employed - established program with 6 doctors and 2 NP's
  • No procedures or vent management required
  • Pulmonary/ICU doctors on staff handle procedures and Vents
  • Full service hospital with full complement of sub-specialty support
  • 119 bed non-profit hospital
  • Will consider Family practice or Internal Medicine trained candidates
  • Ideal candidate will be available in 2015
  • Not able to sponsor J1 visa candidates (open to H1-B candidates)

Package includes:

• Salary of $232,000 per year plus quality and production bonus incentives
  • Full benefits package including paid insurances and relocation (tail insurance is covered also)
  • Sign on bonus
  • 2 hours from Philadelphia, DC and Baltimore
  • 1 hour from Dover, DE
  • 30 miles from Coastal Delaware beaches and resorts

I hope the job market stays like this for a while.

Good Day. My name is Donald Evans, a recruiter with 20 years of experience working exclusively with physicians. My firm, Pacific Companies is a full service retained search firm representing opportunities nationwide. I am reaching to you today to see if you might be quietly exploring new opportunities. Listed below is an example of the opportunities I and my firm represent:

Family Medicine
" 100% Outpatient Practice in a group setting with Partnership after year one
18 ppd= $260,000 17 ppd w/ OB=$280,000
" Top earner in 2014 averaged 23 ppd and earned $350,000+
" Tiered RVU's to $46/ Preventative Med & Level 4 Patients = 1.5 - 2.0 RVU's
" All physicians support your arrival / 4 Clinic locations to choose from
" 4 or 4.5 day work week; Clinic hours Monday-Friday8 am-5 pm & no Call
" All physicians have tablet computers / dedicated LPN or CMA
" Option for evening clinic hours

Urgent Care
" Urgent Care Hours: M-F 8am-8 pm; Sat 8 am-5 pm; Sun 11 am-5 pm
" Rotating schedule: 3 weeks of three 12-hour shifts; 1 week of two 12-hour shifts + weekend
" Be "home-based" at one of two Urgent Care Clinics
" Department is staffed with 5 Physicians & 9 Advanced Practice Providers

Group Highlights
" Rated 11th as 150 TOP WORKPLACES in the state=happy & productive workforce
" Market-based starting guarantee then RVU production pay-plan
" 30 days Vacation + 5 days CME & 6 Holidays
" Annual 401(k) profit-sharing 8-11%
" Partnership buy-in is only $3,600
" 140 Providers / 10 locations with 60% of local market share!
" Full sub-specialty support - GI & Ped's GI, Cardiology, Urology, Surgery, etc.
" RN Care-coordinators support communication among physicians & patients
" Physician-owned, on-site Lab & Imaging Departments / PACS / 128-slice CT
" Ancillary revenue streams (enhances profit-sharing) ASC, Imaging, Sleep Center, Dialysis
" New $10M Children's Health Center / Partnership with a Pediatric Specialty Hospital
" System-wide fully integrated Allscripts EMR
" Local 270 bed, Level III, non-profit hospital w/ Adult & Pediatric Hospitalists
" Strong Nurse Practitioner & BSN programs at local universities, colleges
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would you have any interest in an urgent care position in Western Arkansas?

• 14-16 shifts per month (flexible to meet your schedule)
  • $100/hour plus bonus incentives (benefits include health, dental, vision, 401K, 403B retirement, paid vacation and CME, occurrence based malpractice and paid relocation.
  • Most doctors are making $270,000+/annually depending on volumes they see (eligible for up to another 20% in bonuses)
  • Patient age ranges from one year old and up
  • Clinic has EMR with lab and radiology on-site
  • Mid-sized town of 100,000 population (named #1 city for lowest cost of living in the USA by Kiplinger)
  • New Osteopathic Medical School opening in the area in 2017 (faculty option)
  • Area is home to many national and international manufacturing companies
  • Hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, state's oldest symphony and much more
  • Able to process J-1 visa candidates if you can sign and have your application ready byOctober 1st, 2015 (will be a flex waiver)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Hospitalist practice opening in Southern Delaware to share with you.

Hospitalist

• 7 on/7off schedule
  • Night shift will be required 1 out of every 6 weeks
  • Hospital employed - established program with 6 doctors and 2 NP's
  • No procedures or vent management required
  • Pulmonary/ICU doctors on staff handle procedures and Vents
  • Full service hospital with full complement of sub-specialty support
  • 119 bed non-profit hospital
  • Will consider Family practice or Internal Medicine trained candidates
  • Ideal candidate will be available in 2015
  • Not able to sponsor J1 visa candidates (open to H1-B candidates)

Package includes:

• Salary of $232,000 per year plus quality and production bonus incentives
  • Full benefits package including paid insurances and relocation (tail insurance is covered also)
  • Sign on bonus
  • 2 hours from Philadelphia, DC and Baltimore
  • 1 hour from Dover, DE
  • 30 miles from Coastal Delaware beaches and resorts

I have colleagues making $300+ right after FM residency. It's possible in rural areas. Mind you they do everything (inpatient/outpatient/ER/OB). The FM docs I rotated with during a rural rotation were making $400+k.

If you don't mind the lifestyle, rural medicine is where it's at.

Has she even asked? ALL NUMBERS ARE NEGOTIABLE. The people hiring are trying to get in with the bottom dollar but usually are desperate enough to bump it up if asked.

Has she even asked? ALL NUMBERS ARE NEGOTIABLE. The people hiring are trying to get in with the bottom dollar but usually are desperate enough to bump it up if asked.

yes, they were very stern that there was going to be no increase to the base salary - she got some loan repayment, productivity and quality guaranteed the first year along with a sign on bonus.

yes, they were very stern that there was going to be no increase to the base salary - she got some loan repayment, productivity and quality guaranteed the first year along with a sign on bonus.

They must have had other prospects. The only thing that can really lower a physicians salary offers, is another physician in the area willing to work for less.

They must have had other prospects. The only thing that can really lower a physicians salary offers, is another physician in the area willing to work for less.

No - they have had a few interview but no offers. This practice is near her hometown and she has done a few rotations there.

I have colleagues making $300+ right after FM residency. It's possible in rural areas. Mind you they do everything (inpatient/outpatient/ER/OB). The FM docs I rotated with during a rural rotation were making $400+k.

If you don't mind the lifestyle, rural medicine is where it's at.
That all sounds so legit, but I'm really not a fan of "rural living". I feel like I need a city close by ... Ugh.

People in my program hired on at Kaiser Southern California. Starting at $260k. Plus you have to work about 2 urgent care shifts per month, but, they pay you more. Chance to make around $300k. That's in San Diego/LA. I would imagine rural you can get much more.

I agree with above. I get recruitment emails daily and weekly calls from another recruiter/locums group. Kind of annoying especially since I'm planning to open my own practice. Let me know if you're interested and I'll put you in touch and happily get my referral bonus :)

Another idea if you're looking to leave rural is to work Urgent Care out here in Orange County. They pay about $100/hour and are dying for docs. You make your own schedule. It is pretty awesome.

This is why I would recommend for any undergrads to still pursue medicine. The system is broken but there are SO many opportunities. I'll never have to worry about money again. I can always find some moonlighting job.

Reactions: 2 users
Be careful about assumptions that job market will stay hot. When I finished radiology years ago, jobs were plentiful and salary/benefits were unbelievable. Now about 9 years later, the job market is terrible. Salaries have been stagnating to lower, security lower, work conditions worse etc.

Be careful about assumptions that job market will stay hot. When I finished radiology years ago, jobs were plentiful and salary/benefits were unbelievable. Now about 9 years later, the job market is terrible. Salaries have been stagnating to lower, security lower, work conditions worse etc.

Med students are too arrogant for fm though, a lot of them aren't going into it, so the market should still be okay.

Hello,
small town family medicine trained physicians make a very large income, even right out of residency. of course it depends if you are going to do OB, take call, inpatient vs outpatient etc. However in a mid-size city such as Memphis, it is not uncommon for family medicine physicians to get paid ~180-220k per year outpatient medicine 5 days a week. ~200 k per year is a very fair salary for an outpatient family medicine physician in a small town. FM physicians will always have jobs because they can treat children, adults, pregnant women and geriatrics. I urge you to research this, I think you will be presently surprised. I hope this helps.- M.D. Author/Editor for BoardVitals.

Another idea if you're looking to leave rural is to work Urgent Care out here in Orange County. They pay about $100/hour and are dying for docs. You make your own schedule. It is pretty awesome.

This is why I would recommend for any undergrads to still pursue medicine. The system is broken but there are SO many opportunities. I'll never have to worry about money again. I can always find some moonlighting job.

This is pretty much the norm for any place around the country in urgent care. I have more work than I can do.

Seems silly to me to take such a low paying job when you could start with such a better salary with package, etc. The urgent care I am working in has a base of $240K plue 50K sign on plus full benefits and that's their opening offer. Your wife is totally selling herself short.

I gotta say, our moonlighting rate as FM PGY2-3s is $100/hr for urgent care and hospitalist weekend coverage. I expect to command much more than that postgraduate. I'm in the southeast where rates are apparently better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I gotta say, our moonlighting rate as FM PGY2-3s is $100/hr for urgent care and hospitalist weekend coverage. I expect to command much more than that postgraduate. I'm in the southeast where rates are apparently better.

For urgent care, not unless you're at a very high volume place - usually hospital owned and almost a free-standing ED.

Hospitalist work is closer to $125, though rural might get more than that.

^^maybe things are better in the Pee Dee ;) this is just our contracted moonlighting gigs, they're all $100/hr.

^^maybe things are better in the Pee Dee ;) this is just our contracted moonlighting gigs, they're all $100/hr.

Perhaps. It was the same rate when I was a resident in Anderson. I honestly think that urgent cares don't really care about credentials, just warm bodies.

Lol I'm soooo over urgent care after 15 years of it as a PA!

Just to give you an idea.. i'm a PGY-3 and i get maybe 10-15 emails PER DAY for offers, all in the 200 to 300K range. 5 Days a week, every other week telephone call which goes through a midlevel first.

Also get maybe 2-4 phone calls per day too...

Sometimes it gets annoying, but I know better than to get annoyed at job offers since a lot of professions don't have this "luxury".

So I have to ask, with all the talk of mid levels taking over primary care, why is the demand for FM physicians so high? Are there not enough of them to "take over" do they just not have the skill and knowledge, or both? Has to be reason places are so willing to pay physicians twice as much as an NP.

So I have to ask, with all the talk of mid levels taking over primary care, why is the demand for FM physicians so high? Are there not enough of them to "take over" do they just not have the skill and knowledge, or both? Has to be reason places are so willing to pay physicians twice as much as an NP.
First, NPs don't want to go to certain locations any more than we do - rural fly-over country is not appealing to many no matter what your degree. Second, NPs, like many med students, are shying away from primary care. Third, generally speaking, MDs generate significantly more revenue than midlevels. We're fasting, capable of dealing with more complex patients, and do more procedures. Even after salary is taken out, we're still usually a better deal once we're up and running.

Reactions: 4 users
what considered rural? Is there a look up service for each state?

Yes, absolutely. If anything your base should not be lower than 180K for a town that size. You THE POWER to negotiate. There are more FP jobs out there than doctors to fill them. You are the HOT COMMODITY. ALL NUMBERS ARE NEGOTIABLE. You will never start at a higher rate unless you ask. Walk away from the 150K.

150K is a joke. I once saw someone offering 200K for work in NYC. I started to LMAO. That's like 100K anywhere else.

Midwest rural community:

230-275 with extra call bonuses if desired. Cost of living low. Im happy

Midwest rural community:

230-275 with extra call bonuses if desired. Cost of living low. Im happy

Depends how many patients you have to see a day and what you have to do for that 230-275.

But if you are happy then great. I wish you the best.