What type of things should I include in personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjmjoa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it just talking about why I chose pharmacy? I am typing it but it feels so... generic and boring.

Members don't see this ad.

Your personal statement is your story. What brought you here? Why should we choose you? Why are you interested? Are there any reasons for large variations in your grades or gaps in your credentials? Have you participated in anything that has strongly shaped your worldview and is relevant to pharmacy?

Side comment - have you thought about merging all your questions into one thread? They're all over the place because you make so many.

The prompt is the following:
Your Personal Essay should address why you selected pharmacy as a career and how the Doctor of Pharmacy degree relates to your immediate and long-term professional goals. Describe how your personal, educational, and professional background will help you achieve your goals. The personal essay is an important part of your application for admission and provides you with an opportunity for you to clearly and effectively express your ideas.

When you write, don't repeat what you already included in your volunteer and extracurricular section of the application; it'll just be too repetitive. You might want to choose one significant event/experience to use it as your overlying foundation for the essay.