What types of things are you required to bring to class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFballerinaDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In physical therapy school, are you required to bring your heavy textbooks to class, or do you just bring a copy of the power points and take notes on notebook paper and/or laptop computer? Would it be wise to invest in large, sturdy backpack? I know that PT school is different from undergrad, so I am trying to see what is the normal learning styles/methods of presenting information in lecture. Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

While I never brought my heavy books to class, I always had 3-4 heavy binders from each of the classes I had that day filled with notes. Some days I would bring my laptop but that would be to use the internet during breaks or work on a paper/class assignment. All of my notes were available on the computer, but the professors handed out paper copies at the beginning of each class. These added up quickly! I'd suggest getting the bigger binders for the heavier classes like musculoskeletal dysfunction or neuro, whereas I was able to get by with a small binder or folder for my smaller classes like professional role development. People only brought their books if they were going to study during breaks/after class or if it was close to an exam. Hope this helps!

I end up lugging a couple binders of printed powerpoint notes to class, and sometimes I'll bring my laptop. Often, I'll have an anatomy atlas with me for reference. I've rarely brought my textbooks to class, unless I was staying afterwards to study. It depends on how you're planning on taking notes. Some people take notes onto their laptop. Some bring blank notebooks. Others print out and bind powerpoint slides.

To be perfectly honest, other than the powerpoints, the most important things for me to bring are coffee and my lunch. And socks for cadaver lab!

In physical therapy school, are you required to bring your heavy textbooks to class, or do you just bring a copy of the power points and take notes on notebook paper and/or laptop computer? Would it be wise to invest in large, sturdy backpack? I know that PT school is different from undergrad, so I am trying to see what is the normal learning styles/methods of presenting information in lecture. Thanks !

To be honest, it depends on your professor and on you. The large majority of my classmates bring huge binders for all the notes, some of us bring our laptops to replace paper notes. We rarely bring texts, unless asked by the professor to bring them for a class or something.

For anatomy, gloves, goggles, scalpel blades, scrubs/lab coat, atlas were stuff we made sure to bring.

Personally, I just bring my backpack, which contains an expanding file folder for all the paper handouts, my laptop and charger, the basics like pens, pencils, stapler, sticky notes, etc. That's it. The occasional text when requested--which is rare.

Oh, and food. Can't forget about food.