What undergrad classes make med school easier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hedwig

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you current med students could tell me if, aside from the basic bio, chem, physics, orgo, if there are any extra science classes one should take as an undergraduate that will make medical school a little easier.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anything from the Biology department!! Eg. Genetics, microbiology, virology, etc..

Of course you WILL get all of that in med school, so unless the schools you are applying to require special classes, spend your time taking classes that you think are fun and that will make you a well rounded person. You won't have the chance once med school begins.

Hiya. In my opinion, any advanced science class will make school easier - but only due to volume overload. See, they hit you with SO MUCH INFO, that if you are at all familiar with some of it, it helps and maybe you can spend more time on the things you didn't get the last time, or you'll just have more time to chill (which is nice when it happens). No matter what you already know, there's still more to know (unless, maybe, you have your PhD in a particular subject)

On the other hand, if you prefer to learn everything as new, it might be easier to have never heard it (I am NOT this way - I like to learn things 3 or 4 times before I feel like I get it :) )

Anyways, here's some courses that have made my life easier:
Gross Anatomy (I had it in UG, with pro-sected cadavers)
Anatomy and Physiology (I had lots of this)
Cardiopulmonary Pathophysiology (I am certain this will help next term)
BIOCHEM, Cell Bio, Genetics

And one class I wish I had taken - Immunology...

Ok, so you say that I had a pretty rigorous undergrad science curriculum? yeah, I did, but I am soo thankful for it. I have watched some people struggle that didn't have this all before and I know that I am overloaded right now with new stuff (yeah immuno)

I must admit, though, I do wish that I had squeezed in a couple of language or history courses that I will never have time to take now... So, if the science courses fit, take them. I wouldn't go out of my way to take them if I had to pay, though -- you'll be paying bigtime for it soon enough...

It's all a toss up... Either way, Med school ain't easy (as my profs say)... Just do what you enjoy (I liked all of my classes...)

Good luck. Sorry if I have confused you...

BostonGirl

Members don't see this ad :)
since most premeds don't have time to take many extra classes, you have to limit your choices to the one or two most valuable. If I could do undergrad again, I would have taken cell or micro bio. and genetics or immunology. God, would that be making my life easier right now. Maybe I should've taken one of those instead of ballroom dance. (which was a blast though). There is something to be said for "quality of life" in undergrad.

Originally posted by Hedwig:
•I was wondering if any of you current med students could tell me if, aside from the basic bio, chem, physics, orgo, if there are any extra science classes one should take as an undergraduate that will make medical school a little easier.

Thanks!•••

My vote would be for (in order of most to least valuable):

Molecular biology
biochemistry
physiology
anatomy

You mileage will most certainly differ. I had all of those except the cell class. My, oh my, how I wish I'd had it.

Take care and good luck,
Jeff
MS-I, UTMB

Here are some courses that I have taken, or are currently taking, in order to prepare myself for medical school next year. Many of these were also requirements or fulfilled requirements, and I chose them also because I knew that I would enjoy them...something that I think is VERY important when filling out your schedule.

Anatomy and Physiology I & II
Anatomy Laboratory
Physiology I & II (far more advanced than A&P)
Microbiology
Genetics
Hematology
Immunobiology
Biochemistry I & II

Courses that I regret NOT taking:

Cellular Biology

JPH

Here are some courses that I have taken, or are currently taking, in order to prepare myself for medical school next year. Many of these were also requirements or fulfilled requirements, and I chose them also because I knew that I would enjoy them...something that I think is VERY important when filling out your schedule.

Anatomy and Physiology I & II
Anatomy Laboratory
Physiology I & II (far more advanced than A&P)
Microbiology
Genetics
Hematology
Immunobiology
Biochemistry I & II

Courses that I regret NOT taking:

Cellular Biology

JPH