What undergrad is best for prospective pre meds?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Chemistry>Physics

Puggy
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This post may not be what you thought it was, I'm not going to rank colleges or input my arbitrary idea of the best university for this year's HS seniors. Instead I have a respite from the mainstream neuroticism which "pre pre med" high school students have.

So which college would be the best for high schoolers looking into medicine?

Disclaimer: if you get a scholarship to a college, take that, if it's substantial. And if you get an ivy acceptance, take it. Besides those rules, I believe this could be the new place for pre meds.

A strong argument can be made for not the large in-state university, nor the top 20 private school, or even the small private liberal arts colleges. I think the hidden gems are the small state schools with less than 3000 people. Often overlooked, and usually never heard of. They lack any prestige and may not have the research facilities you're interested in, but I believe there's a case to be made.

1) tuition and cost.
Assuming most college students amount some sort of debt, it's fair to say we need to cut corners wherever we can. A small state school would be profoundly less than most large universities, and especially a small private school.

2) big fish ... small pond
This might sound pretentious to you, but think about it. You're probably going to have one of the top high school ACT and GPA combo that small college has seen. Professors will hear about your work if you're smart. If you work your way up this could easily lead to positions of authority in clubs or extracurriculars and phenomenal one on one relationships with professors.

3) class size
Because you want a general biology class of 40 not 400.

4) a pre med advisor .... who knows your name
Wild. I know. This one could be the added bonus of small schools which again is forgotten. Pre med advisors who have a strong relationship with you to begin with could easily play to your advantage. With between 30-40% acceptance rate to a US MD school you may find that their insight is the greatest you can get. You'll need every trick in the book

6) prestigious schools = lower class rank = harder to get As
If you go to MIT everyone in your class is going to be very very smart. It would be very hard to stand out in courses where everyone is used to getting a 4.0. This would work to your disadvantage. You would be placed far behind in your school, but let's say you chose to go to unknown small public school you would be the top one. It's like being the best of the worst rather than the worst of the best. In this case, you absolutely want to be the best of the worst. You don't want to get mixed with the crowd if you're looking for strong LORs and a great GPA. Especially when curved courses/tests allot only a small percentage of students to receive A's.

5) med schools don't care where you graduate from
Well they do, but if you're normal then there's no difference. The difference comes when either you have: 1) huge scholarships or 2) Ivy League acceptances. Choosing between Iowa and Nebraska is not a big difference. So if med schools don't care where the majority of their pre med population goes.... then why are there still students who argue that the 40,000+ a year they spent to go to (insert small private school here) was worth it? If you would get into medical school either way, why not chose the path of least resistance in this parallel circuit.

My point is: there seems to be a very big push towards prestige and paying for the same which you can get elsewhere. This is a mentoring site. Accruing 100s of thousands of dollars of debt in medical school assuming you make it, can be worsened by an another throbbing debt to pay back for undergrad. I think the most fiscally responsible decision you can make as a high school student is choosing the undergrad which is cheapest, where you'll be happiest, and where you know you will get the greatest grades. Those are the fundamentals to a successful pre med career, and I think small state schools offer this better than most other schools.
 
Last edited:
I couldn't agree more.
My friends are currently picking schools where they'll be easily paying $30,000+ a year (with scholarships) in places such as NY or FL, while I'll be living at home with my parents going to the local state university (the tuition for state residents is below $10,000 before financial aid/scholarships). Ultimately, though, I'm still kind of paranoid about the whole reputation thing.
 
Last edited:
Answer: The University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Yes I know its big, but as a MN resident you won't find a better combo of low cost, great professors, research opportunities, and FUN anywhere (UW is cheap with MN-WI tuition reciprocity). Also, to address point #3 of class size, the Biocore Honors bio program at UW-Madison has smaller class sizes and great student support by faculty who are invested in your success, and for other classes there are always office hours and other ways to build relationships with professors.

While it is true that no one is going to hold your hand at a large state university, in general those who are most successful don't need any hand holding! Finally, I'd encourage you to take campus visits at all the schools you're considering, and try and spend time with students you may know who already go there (ie spend time there without parents) to get an idea of how they really feel about their time there. Sorry if I largely ignored most of the points you were making, but I just wanted to stress how important it is to love your undergrad as you will be the most successful where you are happiest. Best of luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
why is a class size of 40 better than 400? from what I've seen, the more amount of people in the class, the less BS is tested. it's a lot harder to screw over 400 students than it is to screw over 40. all of my experiences with *****ic exams have been in small classes.

you reference Iowa and Nebraska, yet neither of them have your 3000- students, those are huge schools like 30k students...

schools with that few students rarely have their **** together in terms of getting people into graduate programs.
 
what are some examples of state schools with less than 3000 students?
I'm a Minnesota resident so:

University of Minnesota Morris
University of Wisconsin Eau Claire
University of Minnesota Crookston
Minnesota State University Mankato

I think the only thing which would be to your disadvantage would be a small research program. But also you mentioned the small class sizes of 40, and I guess it is personal preference. More people tend to enjoy a strong student teacher relationship which leads to stronger and convincing letter of recommendations. The state universities which are less well known are sometimes the ones which have the most fertile grounds for growing strong pre meds. Also state universities could offer distractions for the small population of pre meds that might get sucked into "stereotypical college lifestyle". I'm saying the smaller schools are overlooked sometimes, unreasonably. And to @caffeinemia in my opinion Ivy > other schools, no way around that.
 
why is a class size of 40 better than 400? from what I've seen, the more amount of people in the class, the less BS is tested. it's a lot harder to screw over 400 students than it is to screw over 40. all of my experiences with *****ic exams have been in small classes.

you reference Iowa and Nebraska, yet neither of them have your 3000- students, those are huge schools like 30k students...

schools with that few students rarely have their **** together in terms of getting people into graduate programs.
Choosing between Iowa and Nebraska like I was saying is no difference, they are 30,000 student schools like you mentioned. My message was that worrying about prestige when those are your acceptances (Iowa and Nebraska) is not worth it. You're going to be spending quite a bit of money and you could get the same education for less at a small state school like @Yazo mentioned.