What was the match rate last year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor in da makin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to be sure that I am reading this correctly.

http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/pdf/PlacementUpdate.pdf

97.8% of applicants got residency, only 12 did not (in 2016)

Towards the bottom it says "placed in residencies"- 17 and 10 What does that mean? Why is that number so low?

What happens to the people that don't match?

Members don't see this ad.

It was a 97.8% placement rate for new graduates—class of 2016. I'm sure you've heard that there was previously a shortage and because of that there are still a residual few students who have not been getting placed, either so that an older graduate could get placed instead or for some other reason. In that last match data you are looking at, the match for the class of 2016, 17 out of the 20 class of 2015 grads who hadn't previously gotten a residency were placed and 10 out of the 15 class of 2014 grads who hadn't previously gotten a residency were placed.

So 35 people from the classes of 2014 and 2015 went into last cycle (which was meant for class of 2016) still looking for a residency and 27 of those people were placed in addition to the 97.8% of new graduates from the class of 2016 who got placed. Within the next cycle or two all of the residual graduates will have been worked through (since there is current a surplus of residency positions vs new graduates) so it won't be an issue once you would graduate.

For those who happen to not match, there is what amounts to a "scramble" and for those who are still not placed they just wait until the next cycle and try again. Your highest chance of getting a residency will always be the year you graduate though, which was the 97.8% in that cycle—the only stat you should be concerned with on that report. It's higher than the MD or DO placement rate for new grads...so...really, don't be concerned.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Most of the non-matched graduates, either entering the scramble or failing to match post-scramble have either one of or a combination of three traits:
1) Poor grades, professionalism, clinical skills. Just undesirable candidates at the bottom of the class.
2) Excellent grades, references, skills, etc- basically top of the class- but only apply to the most competitive residencies. These candidates are quickly snatched up in the scramble.
3) Excellent grades, but terrible social skills. Although this is unconfirmed, the unmatched graduate from several years ago from my school apparently had a 4.0. However, he was, as described to me- socially inept. I didn't get details as to what exactly this meant, but I'm assuming the individual was either riddled with social anxiety and had little people skills, was on the autism spectrum and had clinical difficulty with communication and expression, or was just an unpleasant person.

It is important to remember that the individuals deciding who is accepted into the residency are mostly the current residents- they're deciding who they want to work with for 60-70 hours a week for the next 2 years. There is a tremendous social aspect to matching that I believe is overlooked by many grads.

What happens to those who don't match? I believe the APMA created some kind of program for these individuals where, as I understand it, they basically extern for a year somewhere, and get put into the cycle process again. As long as you take care of yourself, don't worry about the matching stats. They are low enough that you should be confident you're not going to finish in the bottom 5% in your class or nationally. Even if you do, you'll probably still land a spot.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Great info y'all!

I want to raise a secondary question: Do podiatry students have a cap on how many residency programs they can apply for? For example, with unlimited resources could one potentially apply for all the residency spots available?

Great info y'all!

I want to raise a secondary question: Do podiatry students have a cap on how many residency programs they can apply for? For example, with unlimited resources could one potentially apply for all the residency spots available?
You can apply to all the programs you want to. There are some students who don't apply to as many programs as they should and end up going into match II (unmatched students and programs have another match).

Keep in mind that the problem with residency match will always be an issue. Every year there are different sized graduating classes. That means there may be some years that a higher amount of graduates go unmatched and need to apply during the next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Great info y'all!

Yes- I believe the way it works is there is an initial app fee that gives you 15 applications (maybe 18? I forget the number but it is sufficient). Any applications beyond that you pay a fee for each one, determined by the program.

Remember- you can usually only extern at anywhere from 4-7 places. Your chance of getting ranked by a residency is much higher if you extern at the program and perform. It is not unheard of to match at places you don't extern at though.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes- I believe the way it works is there is an initial app fee that gives you 15 applications (maybe 18? I forget the number but it is sufficient). Any applications beyond that you pay a fee for each one, determined by the program.

Remember- you can usually only extern at anywhere from 4-7 places. Your chance of getting ranked by a residency is much higher if you extern at the program and perform. It is not unheard of to match at places you don't extern at though.

And these "externs" are completed in the 4th year?

Also, do Pods match in Jan, as opposed to March for the md/do Plp? Should we expect the 2017 results sometimes next month? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

And these "externs" are completed in the 4th year?

Also, do Pods match in Jan, as opposed to March for the md/do Plp? Should we expect the 2017 results sometimes next month? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, schools have different timelines but it is during the fourth year. My school starts in May and runs till December I believe.

They match sometime in March/April I think- but, many times programs will call you if you are ranked in their top spots. For example, if a residency takes 4 residents, and you are anywhere from #1-4 on their rank, they will call you and say 'hey, we're ranking you high, we really want you here'. You then know if you rank them top on your list, you'll have a match. So many seniors know where they will match long before the actual match day.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, our match date is changing to the same day as for MDs and DOs. It's been approved by all necessary parties, not sure if it'll be in effect for 2017 though.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, our match date is changing to the same day as for MDs and DOs. It's been approved by all necessary parties, not sure if it'll be in effect for 2017 though.

That's good to know. Their match comes out tomorrow (13th) and I know several plp who won't get any sleep tonight...lol

Reactions: 1 users
Our match results will start this Monday, March 20th

Reactions: 4 users