What was your goal MCAT?

Started by lexswift
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Goal was 516. (Very high but reasonably within reach). Honestly if you aim for a 508 (old 30) you're probably going to hit a 506...
Scored FL: 513
Real MCAT: Ended up with 512 (all my sections were excellent except 124 in CARS took me down a notch) I was always struggling with CARS though (lowest section on SAT) so it was kind of expected.
 
Was aiming for a 30. That's all I wanted. I just wanted cheap instate MD tuition. Was getting good practice tests, but, without boring anyone with the details, life got in the way and I couldn't study for three months before the test. Couldn't push it back because it was late 2014 and every test center in the tristate area was booked. Got a 23. Had to wait until summer of 2015 to really start studying for the new test. I knew MD was over with a 23 on my record so I applied DO and did a retake with mainly refresher stuff and studied the new stuff. Got a 504. [emoji53]


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was aiming for a 510 so that I could at least be in the 50th percentile for accepted students at most schools. My practice exam scores ranged from 500 to 517/518, so I didn't know what I was going to end up with on the actual exam. I ended up with a 517, which was about what I got on the AAMC sample test. I'm glad that I was able to exceed my target score, but I was kind of disappointed with my CARS score (equivalent to a 9). It was always my lowest scoring section by far, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
 
What do you think caused the significant score decrease? I do hear most people score within 2-3 points of their AAMC scored practice test but have heard of a few people having a 5+ point decrease...

I wish I could pinpoint one reason for you, but I truthfully have no clue. What makes it even more confusing is the subscore changes between the two tests...

Scored FL was 514 with 127/128/128/131
Actual MCAT was 509 with 126/125/131/127

So somehow my CARS and PS scores took a dump while my BB got a boost.\\

Edit: I majored in psychology so riddle me that as well...
 
My goal was 520. Used TPR. I scored in the 510 range on practices. Score 519 on the real thing.
 
Being on SDN, my goal was a 518+
I never came close. Got a 508 on the real thing and that was the higher end of my practice test averages. Remember to keep realistic goals for YOU. I don't have a strong liberal arts education and never developed the art of critical thinking at my university. This crushed me as a whole on the exam but the worst in CARS.
You do you!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I'd taken the MCAT in 2011, and my sole goal was to beat my previous score so that then no one could question anything. 2011 score was a 31, so I was shooting for around a 508. Took a bunch of Kaplan tests, got 500-506 on all of them, got discouraged, and then I took the AAMC FL and got a 514 about a month before. Was super shocked and didn't believe it, so I studied a bit more and ended up with a 516.

However, the breakdowns were totally a surprise. I went from 99th percentile on every AAMC FL in BB to 87th, and my Psych/Soc went from 67th percentile to 99th. 😵
 
My goal was always 510+ and I ended up with a 517 after never getting higher than a 505 on any practice test (mostly Kaplan). Practice tests were so helpful but not a good indicator of actual performance. I think I far surpassed my goal though because I was so scared that I was nowhere near it on practices so I studied way harder.
 
Before taking the test, I averaged my practice test scores (all AAMC full lengths and half a dozen Kaplan full lengths) and the result was a 35. Going in I figured I'd be able to stomach a 33, but I was hopeful for a >35. Ended up with a 35.
 
Goal: 33+
Practice tests (Kaplan + AMCAS): 28-30
I freaked out before taking the exam once I realized I was not performing to my standards and tried to cancel my spot but was already passed the deadline. I ended up going into the test just to take it and then void my scores (figured I had already paid the money to take it, why not just treat it like a practice test) but finished it feeling pretty good and decided to submit.
Actual score: 35
 
I feel like this thread will have heavy response bias since most people that did bad or worse than they wanted wont respond. Plus I bet average SDN academic credentials are not representative of the average pre-med.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My goal was 70% (percentile), and I ended up with a 514 (91%). I got a 99% score in chem and 97% in bio, but my Psychology and Sociology score brought my average down because I hadn't taken those courses in College (just AP Psych and took ethics instead of sociology)

I took a Kaplan practice exam the day before my test and got an even 500. It's a horrible test predictor. I feel like the new MCAT requires a little bit of knowledge and a whole lot of reading comprehension skills.
 
My goal was as least a 12/12/12 and I was able to exceed that.
I used a lot of MCAT study books, studied for about 2 1/2 months (5 days a week 4-6 hours a day)