What was your major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What was your major

• Total voters

chillinillinkillin007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious of what your major was. Do you regret your choice or not? Did you find anything in your major actually useful?

Members don't see this ad.

Neuroscience. I do not regret it at all. I got to go to Germany for a week for free to hear from a bunch of really smart folks with fun accents and I got to dissect human brains. I know the basics of the nervous system and the endocrine system/hormones, so maybe it'll be mildly useful as a stepping stone for med school classes. Who knows. Even if I end up in a specialty where it's not terribly useful, it was still cool/interesting to me and I had a lot of fun! I'm really glad I switched from Bio.

Anthropology and Medieval Studies with minors in Theater and History. Masters in what is basically Astronomy.

I do not regret the majors in general. I probably wouldn't have done the minors.

Anthropology has been incredibly helpful no matter where I've gone or anything I've done and the Medieval Studies degree has allowed me to sound much more cultured when I am in upper class company.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spanish Language and Literature with a French Minor. I also plan on doing a couple graduate level certifications in both Translation and Interprtation. Very useful to be familiar with another language ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Evolutionary Biology and Zoology (I love schools that don't have rules governing how many credits can count for both majors). Most of my courses were geared to Evolutionary theories and models as well as comparative anatomy/physiology/etc... across different species.

So Im basically the guy who gets irritated when people dumb evolution down to the "survival of the fittest"

Biology. Plain and simple.

But with my involvement with the department, I was able to easily snag a research position, got to know most of the biology faculty, and got brownie points from the college with endorsements from my department chair. Not restricted to completing any minor, I was able to have interesting "fluff" classes like cross cultural studies, mental health/addictions, spanish etc. On top of that, I was able to work 12-hr night shifts during the weekends, play club rugby and get involved with my other student orgs.

No regrets at all. I made the most out of my liberal degree and did EC's to my hearts content.

Anthropology and Medieval Studies with minors in Theater and History. Masters in what is basically Astronomy.

I do not regret the majors in general. I probably wouldn't have done the minors.

Anthropology has been incredibly helpful no matter where I've gone or anything I've done and the Medieval Studies degree has allowed me to sound much more cultured when I am in upper class company.

You went from a social science/humanities field to a physics field? Well that's something you don't see everyday

You went from a social science/humanities field to a physics field? Well that's something you don't see everyday

Yes, I was the only person in the department that had a social science background.

My adviser did not know what anthropology was... I'm not joking. But my anthropology background came in helpful when dealing with the Russian Space Agency.

We had a lot of NASA engineers in the department.

anyone regret not majoring in business or engineering?

Well i regretted not majoring in electrical engineering but that'll deviate me way too far

Yes, I was the only person in the department that had a social science background.

My adviser did not know what anthropology was... I'm not joking. But my anthropology background came in helpful when dealing with the Russian Space Agency.

We had a lot of NASA engineers in the department.

Damn. Didn't realize you worked during the Space Race :p

Two science majors, one of which exposed me to a good deal of biochemistry. Having the basics of biochem was very helpful for med school. Other than that, a lot of pre-reqs for my majors that were introductory classes for other fields (molecular genetics, microbiology, immunology, etc) were extremely helpful. I tried to learn all the material to the best of my ability, even when I could have coasted to easy A's in some of these classes, and I have been surprised at how much it helped in the non-organ system intro blocks of med school. There was almost nothing I was seeing for the first time, and the solid foundation I built in undergrad paid off. I had some free space my senior year, so I filled it with introductory pharm classes for kicks, and the fundamentals I picked up there are also quite useful.

That said, I didn't take those classes as a way to prep for medical school, I just followed my interests. I would recommend that people thinking about which major to follow do the same. Just don't discount any of the science material you have the opportunity to learn at a leisurely undergrad pace. It may come in handy later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well i regretted not majoring in electrical engineering but that'll deviate me way too far
Damn. Didn't realize you worked during the Space Race :p

I did a collaborative project with RSA, ESA, and JAXA.

The Russians are a very interesting yet very strange people.

Can't say whether I regret it or not, but I enjoyed the business school. Taking a chunk of classes filled with mostly sociable, greek system members was fun. :) Especially the tradition of pulling out a six-pack of "apple juice" during the last lecture.

Wait. Wait. Wait....

You're an AEROSPACE ENGINEER?!?!

All of my classmates were aerospace engineers.

I never identified as such although I have an extensive amount of presentations at aerospace engineering conferences. My adviser designed closed life support systems for NASA and RSA. I used my social science background to improve the design. A mathematical model that my adviser and I wrote is being used at NASA.

My area of research was human factors in space engineering and aerospace medicine/psychology. I always identified with the aerospace medicine part of that.

All of my classmates were aerospace engineers.

I never identified as such although I have an extensive amount of presentations at aerospace engineering conferences. My adviser designed closed life support systems for NASA and RSA. I used my social science background to improve the design. A mathematical model that my adviser and I wrote is being used at NASA.

My area of research was human factors in space engineering and aerospace medicine/psychology. I always identified with the aerospace medicine part of that.

... ... man, you are an incredible rock star.

... i'm too stunned.. that's all i can say. Props. You're living the life

... ... man, you are an incredible rock star.

... i'm too stunned.. that's all i can say. Props. You're living the life

Thanks.

I sometimes wonder if that was why no one wants to accept me into medical school. I've seen my letters from the department. I would be scared of me based on those letters especially the whole "Do you realize that FA became top student in the department having never seen most of the work before??"

The job sounds more glamorous than it is but the research was very fun and cool and fulfilled part of a childhood dream. I also did three years of space education (as in bringing STEM to life for youngins) which was also very cool. I also taught a couple grad courses on my work.

Thanks.

I sometimes wonder if that was why no one wants to accept me into medical school. I've seen my letters from the department. I would be scared of me based on those letters especially the whole "Do you realize that FA became top student in the department having never seen most of the work before??"

The job sounds more glamorous than it is but the research was very fun and cool and fulfilled part of a childhood dream. I also did three years of space education (as in bringing STEM to life for youngins) which was also very cool. I also taught a couple grad courses on my work.

Because those schools are scared of you rejecting them

Because those schools are scared of you rejecting them

Whoever says yes, I will go to. I am on round 4 at the moment. Even applied ED last year to my state school.

I do wonder what I could do in medicine if my graduate school experience is any indication. ;)

Whoever says yes, I will go to. I am on round 4 at the moment. Even applied ED last year to my state school.

I do wonder what I could do in medicine if my graduate school experience is any indication. ;)

Round 4?! Damn, i'm sorry. Those schools probably... uh... are mad at you or something.

But really, i'm surprised. When you said you're a NASA engineer, i fell in love (don't worry, i love everyone). Damn. Hoping for the best you get in.

@familyaerospace , why did you abandon you career in aerospace engineering?

In the area I was working in because of the Lisa Novak situation, the requirements changed after she went nuts.

The job I was offered at NASA was rescinded and now it requires an MD.

I continued doing research as well as doing space education while I did my pre-reqs.

Round 4?! Damn, i'm sorry. Those schools probably... uh... are mad at you or something.

But really, i'm surprised. When you said you're a NASA engineer, i fell in love (don't worry, i love everyone). Damn. Hoping for the best you get in.

My classmates were the NASA engineers. ;)

My work was just being used at NASA and I had a job offer there in human factors. Previously, I worked with the Russians since they were the ones that did most of the long term things.

I was one of the few people who were personally invited to participate in the Mars 500 project as a researcher since we had a lot of connections with the IBMP and they knew us.

Just so you know, I'm taken. :p

Curious of what your major was. Do you regret your choice or not? Did you find anything in your major actually useful?
Psychology. I loved studying psychology and have noticed in my clinical experience that it's actually quite useful in medicine.

My classmates were the NASA engineers. ;)

My work was just being used at NASA and I had a job offer there in human factors. Previously, I worked with the Russians since they were the ones that did most of the long term things.

I was one of the few people who were personally invited to participate in the Mars 500 project as a researcher since we had a lot of connections with the IBMP and they knew us.

Just so you know, I'm taken. :p

I shall fight your captor to rescue you to my side like a valiant Prince Charming...

... your classmates bore me. They didn't make a switch like you

I shall fight your captor to rescue you to my side like a valiant Prince Charming...

... your classmates bore me. They didn't make a switch like you

LOL! Be careful, my partner actually does know how to sword fight! I will have to warn him that you are coming for my hand! He'd say though that you'd give me back after a day. ;)

I've made more than a few switches in my life. I've had a lifetime in the performing arts (about 20 years as I did it as a child), owned businesses, did my aerospace work, studied everything including three years of studying religious texts in a yeshiva in Israel, did lots of travel. Did more volunteering than I want to admit in everything.

I feel much older than I am especially with my birthday being next week.

My library at home reflects my crazy interests and career paths. 4500 books, mostly non-fiction in areas I've worked in or want to work in. I like joking that I am a true renaissance man, which hey I have that degree too!

Damn, compared to @familyaerospace my life feels so pointless. I'm just a simple Biochem/Economics double major. I was recently a TA for my Intro Bio/Ecology course and it was really awesome. I gained new insight and appreciation for plants and the flora and fauna around us. This semester I'm going to start doing research in it, so I'm really excited for that.

Do I have regrets? I kinda wish I could do Computer Science, but that's really not feasible because of a huge amount of extra effort I would have to put in. However, my final goal is med school, not the data admin at a fortune 500. Regardless, Econ helps me gain insight into the Wall Street way of thinking/how money works, so it's interesting overall.

Everything I'm learning seems to b important for me to gain new appreciation into the different aspects of life such as largely health and money, so I'm thankful for that.

@Time Table

Don't make me make you feel bad. People describe my life as being the life of someone with ADHD. My crazy life has hurt me more than it has helped.

I suspect your application cycle will end up better than mine.

I feel like putting "applying to medical school" as a hobby on my AMCAS.

Chemistry all the way! :) I love the subject in the I-wouldn't-feel-like-my-life-turned-out-right-if-I-studied-anything-but-this kind of way and haven't regretted it for a minute. I am not yet to the point in my life where I can comment on its usefulness.

I'm really very surprised at how many people responded 'Other'. Based on my experience with other pre-meds at my university, I would have thought the turnout would be almost unanimously Biology.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Time Table

Don't make me make you feel bad. People describe my life as being the life of someone with ADHD. My crazy life has hurt me more than it has helped.

I suspect your application cycle will end up better than mine.

I feel like putting "applying to medical school" as a hobby on my AMCAS.

Haha, if this is your fourth time, might as well write for the description: wasting a lot of time applying. I can only dream of being a great doc. I wish you lots of luck in your endeavors and your pursuit of medicine. Just remember, the schools are scared of you becoming the world's greatest doc who found the cure to cancer and every current untreatable disease. ;)

Chemistry all the way! :) I'm really very surprised at how many people responded 'Other'. Based on my experience with other pre-meds at my university, I would have thought the turnout would be almost unanimously Biology.

If you g to a largely science oriented university, possibly with research, the chances are that the majority will be some offset of biology, if not biology itself., see: me. The thing is, the 'other' category comprises of all of the liberal arts majors along with Physics, math and a lot of technology related majors, so that together with a small sample size can contribute to the numbers you see.

P.S. I'm a huge Breaking Bad fan!

Reactions: 1 users
Women's studies. I still can't understand women, though. :laugh:

LOL! Be careful, my partner actually does know how to sword fight! I will have to warn him that you are coming for my hand! He'd say though that you'd give me back after a day. ;)

I've made more than a few switches in my life. I've had a lifetime in the performing arts (about 20 years as I did it as a child), owned businesses, did my aerospace work, studied everything including three years of studying religious texts in a yeshiva in Israel, did lots of travel. Did more volunteering than I want to admit in everything.

I feel much older than I am especially with my birthday being next week.

My library at home reflects my crazy interests and career paths. 4500 books, mostly non-fiction in areas I've worked in or want to work in. I like joking that I am a true renaissance man, which hey I have that degree too!

Pfft. Your partner's just a tiny fish in a sea of sharks. Don't worry, i'll rescue you from oppression and sacrifice!

Wow, that's quite... interdisciplinary. Although it kinda gives me the notion that have you finally settled into one thing. Maybe this could be the problem? My apologies for unintentional offense but... wow, that's quite the accomplishments you have but you change your mind a lot lol

Pfft. Your partner's just a tiny fish in a sea of sharks. Don't worry, i'll rescue you from oppression and sacrifice!

Wow, that's quite... interdisciplinary. Although it kinda gives me the notion that have you finally settled into one thing. Maybe this could be the problem? My apologies for unintentional offense but... wow, that's quite the accomplishments you have but you change your mind a lot lol

@Lawper is my new hero! :) My knight in shining armour!

You have to understand I was forced out of certain careers or had to pick up side jobs. I worked part time starting in elementary (had to) and worked full time through most of college and grad school. Working 60+ hours a week or more is not unusual for me. If I don't *have* things to do, I *make* things to do. A bored familyaerospace is a very bad thing.

My full time performing arts career ended when I had a seizure when I was in college. Since I had graduated to stage management a few years before, I was responsible for everyone's safety. Even though I am better, because I had a gap year when I was getting better, I could never get steady work again. :( I don't have the time or energy to go through the ranks anymore.

The businesses I owned started as tutoring, then expanded into information broker as well (when I got sick), then technology consulting after grad school, (SBIR grants and such), now it's mostly general writing and book selling because of medical school applications. I need to do something I can shut down or reduce time commitment with a short notice.

@Lawper is my new hero! :) My knight in shining armour!

You have to understand I was forced out of certain careers or had to pick up side jobs. I worked part time starting in elementary (had to) and worked full time through most of college and grad school. Working 60+ hours a week or more is not unusual for me. If I don't *have* things to do, I *make* things to do. A bored familyaerospace is a very bad thing.

My full time performing arts career ended when I had a seizure when I was in college. Since I had graduated to stage management a few years before, I was responsible for everyone's safety. Even though I am better, because I had a gap year when I was getting better, I could never get steady work again. :( I don't have the time or energy to go through the ranks anymore.

The businesses I owned started as tutoring, then expanded into information broker as well (when I got sick), then technology consulting after grad school, (SBIR grants and such), now it's mostly general writing and book selling because of medical school applications. I need to do something I can shut down or reduce time commitment with a short notice.

Well, my job is to always save damsels in distress (and you're #53 :happy:)

That's a pretty versatile background you have though you scared me when you said you were in performing arts. Glad you ended it but sad to see you go :(

This makes me wonder. You are practically one of the few who had an astounding background that it's odd you didn't get in yet. Well, rooting for you in #4 and if you still didn't get in (i hope not since i invested a lot here), the flaw is the process and schools themselves, not you.

And sorry for the digression! You're like a role model for all

Well, my job is to always save damsels in distress (and you're #53 :happy:)

That's a pretty versatile background you have though you scared me when you said you were in performing arts. Glad you ended it but sad to see you go :(

This makes me wonder. You are practically one of the few who had an astounding background that it's odd you didn't get in yet. Well, rooting for you in #4 and if you still didn't get in (i hope not since i invested a lot here), the flaw is the process and schools themselves, not you.

And sorry for the digression! You're like a role model for all

Are you telling me I am going to be part of a harem? I don't get you all to myself? :-(

Well I did say I had a minor in theater so the performing arts thing should not be a surprise. ;-) Most people ask me if it is likely that they've ever heard or seen me in things, the answer is "I doubt it unless you lived in Florida or Georgia for many years."

My round four is limited in comparison to round three. If I can afford round five, that will be my last round.

Other than that I am either going to go become a rabbi or write some books (I can do a number of subjects) or both. Heaven forbid I go back to a previous field. ;-)

Are you telling me I am going to be part of a harem? I don't get you all to myself? :-(

Well I did say I had a minor in theater so the performing arts thing should not be a surprise. ;-) Most people ask me if it is likely that they've ever heard or seen me in things, the answer is "I doubt it unless you lived in Florida or Georgia for many years."

My round four is limited in comparison to round three. If I can afford round five, that will be my last round.

Other than that I am either going to go become a rabbi or write some books (I can do a number of subjects) or both. Heaven forbid I go back to a previous field. ;-)

Yeah unfortunately no. I'm sorry. But you'll always have a special place in my heart :biglove::biglove:

By theater i thought you meant like a cinema or film or something. Not actually performing!

You should be a rabbi book doctor!

My major was mathematics and theoretical physics, plus a master's degree in Mathematical Physics.

Yeah unfortunately no. I'm sorry. But you'll always have a special place in my heart :biglove::biglove:

By theater i thought you meant like a cinema or film or something. Not actually performing!

You should be a rabbi book doctor!

You tell that to *all* the damsels!

Yup, yup. The minor was all either technical theater or performing. Not just sitting around and watching plays all day. I hate watching plays, I want to DO them.

I think I could write a book on Jewish law and how it pertains to medicine. That is always a possibility. ;) I've written on biomedical ethics before back in 2006.

I recently switched my major to psychology after spending about 3 years in biology. I have already seen the benefits of understanding things like behavior modification and stimuli in my clinical work and in dealing with other people in general. I like that I have more tools at my disposal to help people more immediately rather than just being able to lecture them about plants of the coastal plains.

Much more opportunity for research, as well.

You tell that to *all* the damsels!

Yup, yup. The minor was all either technical theater or performing. Not just sitting around and watching plays all day. I hate watching plays, I want to DO them.

I think I could write a book on Jewish law and how it pertains to medicine. That is always a possibility. ;) I've written on biomedical ethics before back in 2006.

Lol PM'd you to carry the convo there.

OT: no physics majors here? :(

Music and Psychology. Only regrets are that I've forgotten some basic music theory and have a $7000 hunk of metal that I haven't touched for 6 years sitting in a closet.

Custom made Wilson euphonium. Though I did play tuba and bass trombone as needed in different ensembles. Bass (both upright and electric) was my secondary instrument, though it's the only thing I still play regularly.

Edit - My brother is the one with the $10K+ tuba sitting in the closet, but he plays it at least twice a year and is actually using his music ed degree.

Math, yo! Albeit highly theoretical and useless math...

...don't regret it, though. It stretched my brain in ways I had no idea it could be stretched...

Math, yo! Albeit highly theoretical and useless math...

...don't regret it, though. It stretched my brain in ways I had no idea it could be stretched...

Fellow Math major!

...although, I'm going to transfer somewhere and I'm most likely going to look into either Marine Science or a discipline of engineering. :3

Looking to major in biology and biochem. Not sure really sure what kind of career you can get with those but I love bio and chem and couldn't see myself being happy with a job that didn't involve them on a daily basis. Maybe I'll look into teaching or something if med school doesn't work out