What was your major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmyBass2011

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those that have been accepted to D.O. School, what were your majors? I am trying to choose a major and need some ideas....

I am thinking I am going to go with Chinese Studies and minor in Chinese Language..... Do you think that will be a competitive major for D.O. school as long as I also get my pre-reqs done?

Members don't see this ad.

I have my B.S in Education

B.A., Psychology
M.P.H., Psychiatric Epidemiology

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be recieving my B.S. in Biology in May. You should choose a major that interests you. If Chinese is what you want to study then do it. You will be more likely to do well in a subject that you enjoy. Personally I really like biology and was planning on majoring in it whether or not I decided to go to medical school. I don't think that having a non-science major makes you less competetive at all.

B.S. Biomedical Engineering. Go ahead and choose any major you want; as long as you take the pre-med courses your fine.

Zoology/Physiology.

It was great because this major required a ton of electives in the "cultural context" classes. I got to take a lot of sociology, psychology, african-american and chicano studies, and still had the option to take as many upper division biology, genetics, anatomy, and physiology courses as I wanted. I think taking all of these classes made a more well-rounded individual and the D.O. schools noticed this.

Like the others said, go for what makes you happy and for what you will do well in. Well-rounded individuals stick out more anyway, when it comes to med school applications. Just get the pre-reqs done and do well in them, as this will most likely be the only classes to factor into your science GPA.

Hope this helped a little.

electrical engineering... now thas well rounded... take a few electives in biology, get upper level chem going on... and get math and computer programming out the wazoo.... grab a series of upper level english lit and you are set... hehe

adcoms seemed impressed with the major as it appears difficult.. be ready to explain the switch from engineering to medicine though......

I have a BS in physics I returned to school after receiving my degree to complete the pre-reqs. I think you should study the subject that interests you so that if you decide med school might not be the thing for you after all, you have a degree in something that truly interests you. As a previous poster said, as long as you have the pre-reqs you should be fine.

BS - Medical Technology
MS - Clinical Science (2004)

Probably had enough for a Minor in Liberal Arts, but didn't think it would mean much. Just do well and take classes you enjoy (as everybody else has been saying).

Josh

B.S. Forensic Science
Licensed Paramedic

A.B. Biology
A.B. Psychology

I think majoring in a non-traditional field is an excellent idea as long as you do well in the required science classes. Last I checked, Biology majors had the lowest % admitted/History had the highest.

BA anthropology.

BS biology

Members don't see this ad :)
BS - Biology
BA - Fine Arts and French

I started out Bio and found that my interests developed in the arts hence the switch to art and language. I took science courses here and there and then found out how much I missed science so then I completed the Bio degree.

I started out as a Psycology major but found out after 2 semesters that I hated it. So I switched to Biology because I really loved the classes, except for Ecology and plant stuff.

BS Biology with pre-med concentration

Find what you like and get your degree in it. My best friend was a dance major. I knew people that were history majors and spanish and chem and engineering.

My point is do what you like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Double Major

BS Medical Biology
BS Lab Science...(Analytical Chem)

B.S. Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology

Don't pick a major because you think that it will get you into medical school. As you can see from the list already, you dont have major in biology. Do something that interests you.

I have a B.S. in Technical, Scientific, and Professional Communication with a minor in international studies.

I was a Biomedical Engineering major for two years and then realized, when I was trying to plan my classes for junior year, that I could not graduate in 4 years with biomed engineering and all the pre-med requirements...there were too many classes i would have had to take, and too many of those classes were scheduled at the same time, and only once a year, so I was screwed. It worked out fine, though, because with my major I could pretty much take whatever I wanted, so I had time to take fun english, history, and rhetoric classes and also biochem, which I wouldn't have been able to take as a BME major.

I would agree with everyone else...take something that makes you happy and is flexible enough to let you fit in the loads of pre-med requirements. Remember, you can't take chinese history in medical school...but you can take it in college...so take it now, and enjoy it!!!

B.S. Criminal Justice

Adam
UNECOM Class of 2008

B.S. Molecular Genetics :thumbup:
....when I graduate in June!

B.S. in Biomedical Science

when I graduate next year :cool:

BS biology
BA Psychology
EMT-B

A.S.: Electronics Technology
B.S. Chemistry w/ Biology minor

Worked as a computer tech for several years. It was brought up in both of my interviews. I was accepted at both schools.

BS in Marketing
BA in Biochemistry (Economics minor)

Crazy combo, huh?

I'm a second-year at NYCOM right now...and I majored in film studies in college. Yup, you read right--FILM STUDIES. And I didn't double-major or minor in anything science-related. Just took the regular 4 premed classes and that's it.

Good luck to all!

Well I haven't applied to any school yet, but I will grad next year with a BS in Business Administration, and a Minor in Biology

I'll graduate one of these days with a BS in Chemistry, and a phD in BS. :D

A.B. in Neuroscience and Behavior
M.S. in Experimental Psychology

I found having a non-traditional background gave me a lot to talk about with the interviewers.

BS Biochemical Engineering with a minor in Biology and Spanish... and probably something well beyond a PhD in BS.

It was mentioned before, go with something you like. Don't worry about trying to impress the admissions committe. I'm a BioChemE because it is a very versitile field and it is actually kind of interesting. Go to school for you, not them.

Well I have not graduated yet either but my degree's will be:

AS in Biological Sciences
BS in Biomedical Sciences/Zoology
w/ a minor in Women's Studies

MamaMD

Haven't been accepted yet - but was told by the admissions people when I interviewed last year that majors that vary from the norm (bio/chem/science in general) stand out. Do what you enjoy but remember to get your pre-reqs done.

I hold a Bachelor's and Master's in Forensic Science. Also an EMT.

I will be graduating in May with a BA in psychology and a biology and chemistry minor..I am proof that you can be competitive for DO schools and choose whichever major you want! (so don't listen to anyone who tells you differently!) :)

Paramedic,BS in EMS management and Nursing, then took pre med courses.
I would say major in what intrests you then take the premed courses and do well.

I have a BS in Molecular Biology/Microbiology and finishing up my MPH at the moment.

does anyone have a locksmith license or know someone who works as one??

BA Biology
BA English

BS In'tl Bunsiness
Minor French/Spanish

B.S. Human Nutrition
B.S. Biomedical Science
with a minor in Biomedical Physics

What do I wish I would have done????

I wish that I would have majored in Education (where all of the ladies on campus can be found :cool: ) and just taken the pre-reqs. jkdn :laugh:

I loved my experience, just make sure that you'll love yours as well...

BS in Microbiology, didn't really enjoy it though, like mostly everyone else will say, major in what you like, take the prereqs, if you don't like your grade in the prereqs then take additional courses in them. Good luck

---
NSU 2008

B.S. Biomedical biology
Minor in Chemistry/Biochemistry

Matty VCOM Class of 2008

BS Neuroscience
BA Philosophy
almost had a minor in Theatre

~Sara
TUCOM Class of 2008

BA in Biology and Chemistry (i figured what the hell, after the pre-req's i only needed a few more classes to double major)

Minor in Global Studies and Military Science

BA Music Composition
Minor in Pre-Medical Studies
EMT-B

People always ask me if I'm going to sing in the OR...

Both of my attendings during my surgery rotation sang in the OR...They were both very entertaining :laugh:

B.S. Zoology and Pre-Med

It would get annoying though b/c people would ask me if I wanted to be a vet ALL the time and i'm like noooo I just wanted to take upper division course that dealt with animals instead of plants (which is what it is at my undergrad).

BS Biology
minor in European History (mostly just WWII)

B.A. in English Literature
minored in Health and Society
fulfilled pre-med requirements (not a major itself, despite it being almost the same amount of classes)